Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386208 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #4455 on: September 09, 2017, 05:10:38 pm »

Quote from: Votes
REVISION 1
5 - Starshell: Chiefwaffles, Andrea, FallacyofUrist, Kadzar, Andres
3 - Trust Fall Targeting System VoidSlayer, RAM, helmacon

Just re-adding the name change + Fallacy's fulfilled conditional.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: September 09, 2017, 05:13:56 pm »

REVISION 1
6 - Starshell: Chiefwaffles, Andrea, FallacyofUrist, Kadzar, Andres, helmacon
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: September 09, 2017, 07:17:17 pm »

2nd Revision: Crystal Reactive Regeneration

By tapping into our extensive experience regarding converting energy (like the Reactor safety circuitry), and our even-more-extensive knowledge and experience regarding the modification of Crystal, we can create a pretty effective revision to Crystal with hopefully ease.

We modify the structure of Crystal to naturally convert sudden blasts of energy to magical energy routed directly towards its regeneration properties. So if, say, a lightning blast hit crystal, then a significant (but not a majority) portion of that electrical energy gets naturally converted into magical energy which goes directly towards regeneration. If a tree from a tornado or a railgun shell hits the crystal, a portion of that kinetic energy will go towards regenerating the crystal.

Of course, it isn't 100% effective, but it should be fairly straightforward/easy to do given our extensive knowledge with both topics and should greatly improve the effectiveness/durability of crystal in all scenarios.

TL;DR: Make Crystal convert a portion of all incoming energy (kinetic, electrical) to magical energy to help regenerate. Draws from our extensive energy conversion/crystal modification experience.

This is a bit of a stretch, but we'd gain a huge advantage with viable wireless communications.
Please post if you have a better idea for wireless communication.
2nd Revision: Commgem

The Commgem is a modification to the Aethergem.
The Aethergem receives energy from the Aether, a theoretical dimension beyond ours. It does this using modified known technology - antimagic charms. We know how to transmit energy easily - it's how literally all of magic works.

So we readily know how to transmit and receive energy through the Aether. All that's left is to discern the fluctuations in Aether (this revision's focus) and turn those fluctuations into sound (the magic->sound circuit, discovered decades ago with the AM charm).

The Commgem is a modification to the A-sized Aethergem that handles this. It incorporates a standard Sound <-> Magic circuit and is tuned to the Aether on a slightly different "frequency" versus regular Aethergems. It should allow for wireless communication between holders of it.

TL;DR: Make a radio by adding a Magic <-> Sound circuit to an Aethergem.

REVISION 1
6 - Starshell: Chiefwaffles, Andrea, FallacyofUrist, Kadzar, Andres, helmacon

REVISION 2
1 - Crystal Reactive Regeneration: Chiefwaffles
0 - Commgem:
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4458 on: September 09, 2017, 08:04:53 pm »

REVISION 1
7 - Starshell: Chiefwaffles, Andrea, FallacyofUrist, Kadzar, Andres, helmacon, Gwolfski
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: September 09, 2017, 11:01:22 pm »

Revision: Starshells [6]

Essentially a KPD motor strapped to an artillery shell, the Starshell achieves very impressive range.  An overcharged Aethergem is slotted into the nose and screwed in place.  The gem is fitted with a safety and a shock sensor, which permits the flow of power from the gem to the connectors attached to the KPD nozzle on the rear of the shell.  When armed and fired, the shell activates the KPD and allows us to achieve two additional ranges, all the way out to BLOS+2.  This is one more than Moskurgs ground-based artillery, and two more than their accurate range.

The explosive capabilities of the shell are slightly less than that of our existing blast shells, but they are not appreciably more expensive.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: September 09, 2017, 11:07:02 pm »

evictedSaint, is there anything our generals want for our infantry?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: September 09, 2017, 11:08:49 pm »

Nothing in particular.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: September 09, 2017, 11:24:22 pm »

We should fix the IFV if you want something for our infantry, we literally just need to get them into battle.

Make the undercarriage out of steel or crystal, whichever is better for carrying it, and we can ride out and destroy the enemy.

Otherwise, get honest strike on our new BOS+2 artillery shells.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: September 09, 2017, 11:40:22 pm »

Yeeeeees.

Also @VoidSlayer: This is fighting from our city. I think the Valkyrie can handle sorties. We should focus on making sure our infantry can do well regardless of transport.

Making Crystal better will help our airforce, and our combat armor-wearing infantry, and basically everything. Because everything is made out of Crystal.

The Valkyrie should lose its "Flying Coffin" nickname and become much more versatile in combat landings and take-offs. The Lightning should do much better in fights due to increased survivability. Crystalclads should do better I guess (especially with Starshells!). Our Infantry should become almost invulnerable in the field if this goes well. They're already completely clad in crystal, after all.

Revision: Crystal Subconjuration

We currently are making Crystal using crude ways first devised decades ago. Since then, we have made extreme breakthroughs in Mathemagics and Crystal Precision (recently improved further with Aerophobic Crystal Shells!).
So let's make use of those many breakthroughs.
By refining the Mathemagics involved and applying the increased precision, we can exert much more control over the structure of crystal. The new field of "Subconjuration" involves studying conjuring beyond what the visible eye can see. We may not be able to see to this point, but we can observe its effects and our Mathemagics/Crystal Precision don't require visibility to work.

Basically, we're simply making use of our precision manufacturing techniques and breakthroughs in mathemagics to change the structure of the crystal in order to make it stronger and more durable. One possible way to accomplish this is arranging fault lines so fractures have a much harder time propagating or any other method. Arranging the crystalline structure so that different layers have different orientation, the fracture is forced to propagate through longer distances or unoptimal places absorbing much more energy.

By refining Crystal at this level, we can significantly increase its strength. All Crystal should become much stronger and durable to damage.

This should be a significantly easier revision as it's applying known technology/methods to a material that we have decades of experience with and have modified to different effects many times before.

TL;DR: Make Crystal stronger by applying Mathemagics + Crystal Precision (especially from Aerophobic Crystal Shells) + Crystal modification experience to refine Crystal at the molecular subconjured level. (Like via re-arranging fault lines)
TL;DR TL;DR: Make Crystal stronger/better.

REVISION 2
1 - Crystal Subconjuration: Chiefwaffles
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:32:58 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: September 09, 2017, 11:46:01 pm »

REVISION 2
2 - Crystal Subconjuration: Chiefwaffles, Andres

This will do good not just for our infantry, but for any vehicle made out of crystal as it will increase their durability as well. Our Valkyries and our Lightnings will be made more durable, making them better. Our ships would gain a great advance on the seas as well due to being harder to destroy.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: September 10, 2017, 01:44:19 am »

Quote from: final revision
0 ChiefwafflesAetherfrost:
1 *Some sort of bombing upgrade for furstorms: RAM
0 -RAMBlasteyes:
1 -VoidSlayerTrust Fall Targeting System: RAM
1 -andreaAir dropped bomb: RAM
0 -andreaMultiple area covering bomblet:
1 *Some sort of resiliency upgrade to crystals: RAM
0 -RAMReflexive regeneration:
1 -RAMCrystals Conferred Accelerated Regeneration by Power: RAM
0 -ChiefwafflesReactive Crystal:
0 -ChiefwafflesCrystal Reactive Regeneration:
2 -ChiefwafflesCrystal Subconjuration: Chiefwaffles, Andres
1 RAMResiliant!: RAM
0 ChiefwafflesTrustStrike:
0 ChiefwafflesAS-R1-G:
0 ChiefwafflesPKPD:
0 ChiefwafflesBlastgem M.2:
0 ChiefwafflesReactive KPD:
0 ChiefwafflesCommgem:
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: September 10, 2017, 01:55:22 am »

I've cleaned up the votebox. I removed my revisions with 0 votes and moved RAM's pseudo-revisions (the "bombing upgrade for furstorms" and "resiliency upgrade to crystals" ones) to their own section as they aren't actual revisions. I also removed the name behind my revision. Aaand I ordered it by author.
This is just an attempt to keep it as legible as possible.
REVISION 2
1 - (VoidSlayer) Trust Fall Targeting System: RAM

1 - (Andrea) Air dropped bomb: RAM
0 - (Andrea) Multiple area covering bomblet:

0 - (RAM) Blasteyes:
0 - (RAM) Reflexive regeneration:
1 - (RAM) Crystals Conferred Accelerated Regeneration by Power: RAM
1 - (RAM) Resiliant!: RAM

2 - Crystal Subconjuration: Chiefwaffles, Andres

REVISION REQUESTS
RAM: "Some sort of bombing upgrade for Firestorms"
RAM: "Some sort of resiliency upgrade to Crystal"

I've bolded Crystal Subconjuration to help evicted see the winning revision out of all of them when he types it out. If someone votes for another revision, giving it the lead, please bold the winning revision and unbold Subconjuration.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: September 10, 2017, 02:17:40 am »

Crystal sub conjeration makes no sense. If it wasn't already perfect at an atomic level, it wouldn't be a crystal. I will vote for a crystal upgrade, but it needs better fluff.
Idk, I am drunk though, so...
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: September 10, 2017, 02:24:38 am »

Crystal subconjuration doesn't really help, we need an air force that can hit the ground or usable IFV.

I am going to vote for the Trust Fall again or for a revision to our lightning turrets to just aim down, which is a super simple thing we could do any time.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: September 10, 2017, 02:30:45 am »

Valkyries aren't nearly as useful as they could be because they get shot down too easily. They're nicknamed "Flying Coffins" for a reason.

Lightnings aren't winning air superiority-wise because of the destructiveness of Moskurg's lightning. If we win in air superiority, then we can shoot down their transports and air-based artillery. And the Firestorm still exists even if it isn't extremely effective.

Crystalclads would do well with better armor.

Infantry would do much better because of Combat Armor. Better infantry means we get an even bigger infantry combat advantage, which is much more important because it's city combat and because of evicted's judgement to my recent complaint. Again, infantry combat is going to be much more important this turn. The bigger our advantage here is, the better.

Everything made out of crystal would benefit. Everything.

Crystal sub conjeration makes no sense. If it wasn't already perfect at an atomic level, it wouldn't be a crystal.
Right. But really, it should only be Crystal by name. We aren't trying to change it to be more perfect, but rather to be stronger.

But if other people have better ideas for fluff, please do tell me.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 301