Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386146 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #4425 on: September 08, 2017, 03:34:33 am »

Don't forget that right now we have grenade size stuff that is dropped from very high up. sphere shaped grenades.
even with honest strike, we can expect to have trouble to pinpoint targets to the accuracy needed. Personally, I think we need to go big in size or in number.
I'll draft a couple proposals, names are placeholders.

Air dropped bomb
This substitutes the current bombs used by the firestorm. it is an upscaled blastgem slightly bigger than a blastshell, with significantly more explosive power due to not needing to add propulsion.
In addition to the size change, the other modification is the shape of the shell. No longer a simple sphere, now it uses the lessons learned from our aerodynamic shells to drop straighter toward the ground, improving accuracy.
Higher accuracy and bigger blast size should help greatly in making this an effective weapon.

or

Multiple area covering bomblet
Accuracy from the clouds is hard. The trick is not needing it. Instead of dropping a single grenade, the firestorm now drops an hail of many bomblets, a bit smaller than the current grenades. While the individual destructive power is lower,  the spread of bomblets allows to cover a larger area. Aerodynamic knowledge is applied to the bomblet to reduce the spread size from "city" to  "on the enemy side of the battlefield".
being able to carpet bomb an area should produce results even if we dont' have the required accuracy to pinpoint a single target. We just drop a lot around the entire thing and we will hit stuff.

@RAM having continuous thrust all the time, compared to just a big extra blast at the beginning, will surely increase speed. Plus, eliminating the impulsive propulsion of the current blastshell may improve accuracy on its own.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: September 08, 2017, 08:23:43 am »

The enemy is immune to our frost stuff, their armor completely protects them, or at least mitigates it enough that I doubt it will have a big effect.
I know.
That's why we make a revision to go bypass their armor.

Literally the entire point of Aetherfrost.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: September 08, 2017, 09:18:17 am »

So, is the plan to use the second revision on integrated lucky strike for the firestorm? We kinda need both to make it useful.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: September 08, 2017, 09:23:35 am »

with better bombs, I believe we don't strictly need honest strike.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: September 08, 2017, 09:50:53 am »

Better bombs aren't that useful when your margin of error regarding accuracy is "a city". Especially when that city is ours.
Though more accurate bombs could work. The small bombs could eliminate Moskurg forces without damaging our own stuff.

I was thinking of also scaling down HonestStrike if we do so. It will not be practical if it's still Very Expensive.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: September 08, 2017, 10:03:27 am »

yes, the idea is more accurate bombs. Currently if you notice we are using spheres. Both proposals I drafted specifically mention using the aerodynamic knowledge from the aerophobic shells to increase accuracy, which should solve the problem of them only being able to  roughly hitting cities.

Large bombs would deal with the remaining inaccuracy by 1) being heavier, therefore less swayed by winds and even more accurate 2)having bigger blast radius
Small bombs would deal with the remaining accuracy by being many over a large area, so it is more likely to hit something.

anyway, I am up for the new shell at this time, and haven't decided the next revision yet, but I thought it would be useful to bring those things out to discuss.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: September 08, 2017, 10:11:22 am »

Right. But the problem's still targeting. The Firestorm flies above the cloud layer and the pilot pretty much aims by eyeballing it. More accurate bombs only really helps if the pilot knows where they're dropping the bombs.
Bigger bombs make the Firestorm less useless, but ultimately you're just dropping bombs and hoping the enemy is in a 50-mile radius of your current location.

An Expensive integrated HonestStrike basically means the bombs are self-targeting. It'd still work with the small bombs because the smal bombs should hopefully directly hit their targets.

It'd have to be Expensive, though. HonestStrike is Very Expensive right now whichmeans we'd have like 3 bombers in the air dropping grenades every few minutes. That's not useful.

EDIT: Also I'm naming the Blastshell M.2 the "Starshell" for now. Lemme know if anyone has a better name idea.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: September 08, 2017, 10:15:44 am »

We can just ask them to fly lower. I don't think they MUST travel above clouds. That would result in bombs detonating a few seconds after landing however, but at the very least we are forcing them to move.
50 miles is a great exageration, but indeed it will be a problem in urban battles, compared to field battles.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: September 08, 2017, 10:24:24 am »

Right. But we should avoid flying low if possible - the Firestorm's completely unarmored.

Anyways, this could work as a second revision:
Revision: TrustStrike

The TrustStrike is a simplification of the HonestStrike. Whereas HonestStrike ensures supernatural accuracy, TrustStrike is a variant to guarantee accuracy, though not exactly to "the bullet pierces every vita organ through the armor's weak spot" levels.

TrustStrike is smaller and less power-consuming due to its simplification, and significantly cheaper - hopefully either Expensive or Cheap.

The top priority for TrustStrike is to integrate it to the Firestorm.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: September 08, 2017, 10:25:36 am »

don't forget to change gold for something cheaper in the circuits.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: September 08, 2017, 10:29:07 am »

Hey, @ES,
What resource bonuses are we currently pulling from controlled territories?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: September 08, 2017, 11:48:49 am »

Metal bonus from controlling the mountains.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: September 08, 2017, 11:57:40 am »

If we increase the effectiveness of crystal then we should greatly increase the durability of anything crystal.
Like the Lightning. Which would really help us in the air. And much more.

This is based off of older revision ideas doing similar things and partially RAM's idea.
Revision: Reactive Crystal

With explosive lightning, Crystal is certainly less effective. But it isn't useless by any definition and is still very useful. Just not as much.

But by taking the standard energy conversion techniques we already have and revising it onto Crystal, we can greatly increase its resistance against sudden bursts of energy. Like lightning.
When struck with sudden energy - kinetic, electrical, anything - a large portion of the energy should be converted into magical energy and routed into Crystal Regeneration.

So Crystal should be much more resistant to blasts and explosions. As a large amount of the incoming energy is nullified and put to work repairing the damage done by the remaining uncovered energy.

Thanks to the Crystalworks, it should be extraordinarily easy switching all existing production processes over to Reactive Crystal.
TL;DR: Make Crystal naturally convert significant portions of sudden energy blasts (lightning, railgun, etc.) into magical energy to help regenerate.

EDIT:
Revision: AS-R1-G
Blastgems are small and straightforward. They have the perfect destruction. They'd make amazing grenades. They basically are grenades.

By simply expanding the barrel of the AS-R1, we can facilitate loading in Blastgems. The Blastgems would be made beforehand, and the Blastball propellant should be more than enough. We don't need to propel grenades Extreme-range.

TL;DR: A grenade launcher.

Revision: PKPD
(Passive KPD)

The PKPD is a powerless variant of the KPD. It doesn't use power, and simply limits a person's max velocity rather than adjusting it to extreme speeds.

The PKPD can and should be affixed to Combat Armor to allow for jumping from any height and deployment from high-altitude Valkyries both to the ground and on Moskurger airships.

TL;DR: A fancy parachute.

Also, Evicted, what happened to the Crystalworks bonus anyways?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:08:26 pm by Chiefwaffles »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: September 08, 2017, 12:30:49 pm »

Since we don't really use metal for, well, anything anymore, would you guys like to petition to change the mountain bonus to something like, say, a training bonus?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: September 08, 2017, 12:48:21 pm »

no, I don't think it is reasonable to change bonuses just because they no longer suits us. Then, what is the point of having different bonuses for each territory?
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 301