Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386131 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #4395 on: September 05, 2017, 10:42:48 pm »

Right, so. Your stuff's definitely understandable, but I do disagree. For convenience and to avoid the usual wall of text every single post of mine in this thread becomes, I'm separating the individual points into spoilers.

Spoiler: Pneumatics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: KPD4 as Propellant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: CAF (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bullet Material (click to show/hide)

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: September 06, 2017, 01:34:25 am »

We will be fighting in the city. The Firestorm will not help us fight in the city. Stop voting for the Firestorm and start voting for something which will actually help get Moskurg out of the city.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: September 06, 2017, 03:12:37 am »

I dislike the Smasher shells because they rely upon a very small reactor that I do not believe that we have. I would suggest either using something else, and unfortunately we don't have gemerators, or make the projectile much larger, probably at least a metre in diameter, and not fire it out of a gun. Actually, firing unstable reactors out of guns is generally problematic...

Note: required assumption, we are capable of summoning antimagic charms, upon which our magems are based.
Metaconjuration: Conjbustion
The conjbustion spell is a combination of four elements: Summon Crystal Lance/webs, Fireball, Antimagic Charms. These are extremely familiar disciplines from which a myriad of other spellwork has been extracted.
 The summoning of webs is known to occur at a distance in order to bind retreating foes. It is simple to conjure crystals, and crystals are known to absorb magic when properly configured. Flames burn... By combining the magical suction of a crystal, it is easy to convert a flame to burn magic, it is a simple matter of directing the magic into the flames as fuel, and fires are all too willing to burn anything that they can grasp. Structuring the flames to absorb the magic is a bit of a trick, but with mathemagics being spawned by crystalline summoning, and so very much study occurring upon antimagic charms and their derivatives, it is should be simple to extract the precise signature of magical absorption, and while converting that from a crystal spell to a flame spell is a challenge, it is very much within flame's nature to absorb, and crystals and flames share a fascination with illumination and patterns, so the modification should not be that difficult. Thus it should not be so difficult to produce a flame that will spread to all things magical and burn until that magic is depleted. It is, in many ways similar to channelled fog, being a spell that consumes magic long after being cast, but so very much more insistent... Directing magic upon it would only serve to spread the flames to whomever made the attempt, mortal means of extinguishing would have little effect when the flames do not depend upon mortal fuel and magic burns by will in place of heat, and directing antimagic upon magical devices will not permit them to function. A single spark in a Kegger carpet-hold should spell doom for the whole vessel, regardless of size, whether the magic burns dry or is snuffed by antimagic, the craft's buoyancy will expire and it will perish upon the ground.

The difficult part is to get such a spell into the enemy's demesne. The matter of that is rather more complicated, and yet... We have conjured many things: Self-deterministic wasps, complex and terrain-adhering webs, all manner of magically active crystals... It is not so great a jump to conjure magic itself, especially if it is given a specific form... Thus, it should be possible for us to conjure spells, at a distance, at a specific point, with no need to traverse the intervening space. Thus is the entirely new, yet magnificently familiar field of metaconjuration. To conjure spells and purely magical constructs. For both conjuration and free-flung spells are both so very practised.

The design of the spell is hoped to be quite practical as far as such things can be. To form the bulk of the spell in advance and hold it within one's hands. then to clap one's hands together to finalise the spell's substance, and then to direct it's destination by pointing and willing. The unfortunate victim will then be instantly subjected to a spark of magical consumption that will not rest until the victim is consumed. It should be quite a simple matter to cast such magics from the relative safety of a protector or lightning as all that is required is knowledge of the subject's location, vision of the target should be sufficient. And with a single spark spelling doom for whatever it strikes, be it a mage, airship, or skiff, and striking with the speed of sight, there should be precious few things that can endure such an attack.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: September 06, 2017, 08:55:06 am »

Defense is our highest priority, and machines guns are good at defense. A flak gun or shell might be slightly better suited for our current need,
 but such a thing could be done in a revision and might work with this design.
DESIGN

0 - CAF Regulator:
0 - Smasher Shell:
2 - AS-HA2 "Valiant": Chiefwaffles, Kadzar
0 - Arstotzkan Defense Grid:
2 - ASAF-B49 "Firestorm": FallacyofUrist, VoidSlayer
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4399 on: September 06, 2017, 10:29:14 am »

DESIGN

0 - CAF Regulator:
0 - Smasher Shell:
3 - AS-HA2 "Valiant": Chiefwaffles, Kadzar, Gwolfski
2 - ASAF-B49 "Firestorm": FallacyofUrist, VoidSlayer
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: September 06, 2017, 10:42:29 am »

I'd like to also note that I'm very willing to make any kind of change to the HA2. It could be our last design, so I'll gladly change it based on what people think.

Though I have two questions in particular:
  • Should I include Blastshell capability in the CAF2 of the HA2? If not we can revise a new upgraded 100% crystal Blastshell. Swap Magegems for Aethergems, remove Blastball detonation in favor of Aethergems detonation, make it makeable by the CAF2. But it'd use a revision.
  • Are there any parts of the HA2 that people think are too hard/complex compared to their benefit which I should take out?
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: September 07, 2017, 02:17:30 pm »

Seems like the valient is winning. Designs in a bit.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: September 07, 2017, 03:55:41 pm »

DESIGN

0 - CAF Regulator:
0 - Smasher Shell:
3 - ASAF-B49 "Firestorm": FallacyofUrist, VoidSlayer, helmacon
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: September 07, 2017, 04:28:40 pm »

Well damn, a tie.  Coin flip in an hour or so.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: September 07, 2017, 04:43:48 pm »

DESIGN

0 - CAF Regulator:
0 - Smasher Shell:
4 - ASAF-B49 "Firestorm": FallacyofUrist, VoidSlayer, helmacon, RAM
Meh, I wanna see if that atmospheric thing is possible.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: September 07, 2017, 04:47:23 pm »

DESIGN

0 - CAF Regulator:
0 - Smasher Shell:
4 - AS-HA2 "Valiant": Chiefwaffles, Kadzar, Gwolfski, Andrea
4 - ASAF-B49 "Firestorm": FallacyofUrist, VoidSlayer, helmacon, RAM
Meh, I wanna see if that atmospheric thing is possible.
And I am getting convinced by the HA2.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: September 07, 2017, 04:50:52 pm »

Just going to briefly state why I think the HA2 is better:

The HA2:
-Definitively makes the CAF2. The bomber does not.
-Can much more easily react. Bombers are isolated from communication and sorties cannot easily be assembled due to Moskurger wind magic. Then the Bomber has to still launch, go over to enemy lines, then fire.
-Will outrange Moskurger artillery and will thus give us a great advantage. Bombers can be shot down. Outranging artillery can just sit in the same place 24/7 while shelling enemy lines.
-Reduces our artillery dependence on mages. (The HA1-b is Expensive and fires once per three minutes.)
-Modernizes our artillery, which is in sore need of an update.
-Is better as a defensive weapon versus the bomber. We can just outrange them and shell them constantly versus the more offensive-oriented bomber. We're going to be defending our capital this turn.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: September 07, 2017, 05:05:27 pm »

The reason I voted firestorm is because I felt like the HA2 was too ambitious. It would be great, if it works, but I don't think we can take the risk of ending up with a proto type this turn. We need hard and fast results.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: September 07, 2017, 05:13:25 pm »

How's it too ambitious?

-Reactor: Actually trivial. The Reactor is easy to downscale (just remove a couple wheels and make a smaller shell) and right now it's "plug n' play" for integration.
-Pneumatics: Trivial, again. It's just the pneumatics system that we already developed for the exact purpose of moving around guns - the Lightning turret. We just take that pneumatics system and put it in here.
-KPD: Not as trivial, but still fairly easy. Benefits have already been stated, but it's just putting the KPD circuitry and changing some settings. The HA1 is already designed for Blastballs anyways, and the KPD4 is derived from Blastballs.

-CAF2: Not easy, but by far the main focus of the entire design.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: September 07, 2017, 06:03:12 pm »

Design: ASAF-B49 "Firestorm"
[2, 6-1, 2]

The Arstotzkan Air Force Bomber 949 "Firestorm" fills the role missing from the current air fleet.  Slightly smaller than a Lightning, the Firestorm features a bubble canopy for the pilot that wraps around from his head to his feet.  A crude cross-hairs is painted on the floor as a bomb sight, but is largely just for show.  A standard set of spherical controls allows the pilot to pitch, roll, and accelerate the aircraft, and a set of short, stubby wings and tail allow the craft better turning while moving forward, as we'd discovered with the Valkyrie.  The craft is propelled by a KPD4 propulsion spell-array, which in turn is powered by a single Aether Reactor.  The craft is entirely unarmored and any unnecessary weight is stripped free, allowing unprecedented heights to be reached.  The Firestorm is the first aircraft capable of flying above cloud cover.

The cockpit features a sealing hatch and a small circuit-controlled one-way air valve to ensure the compartment is air-tight.  A slight modification to our channeled mist spell - made easy thanks to our impressive knowledge of conjuration magic - allows it to produce breathable air rather than mist.  This provides the pilot with air, and the one-way valve keeps the air pressure at an acceptable level for human life.

The "bomb bay" is a circuit array borrowed from the crystalworks that is hard-wired to produce "blastgems" - another new invention necessitated by this design.  It is a crystalline sphere that features a very simple conjuration system contained within, along with a crystal magegem charged with enough power drawn from the reactor to produce a blastball.  The bomb is on a set timer that cannot be changed once the Firestorm has left the ground - usually it will be set for the same amount of time it takes the sphere to fall from max height to the ground below.

The bombs have a rather small radius, compared to our HA1 artillery shells.  It is about comparable to the blast radius of Moskurgs hand grenades, and rivals it in lethality.  Sadly, we ran out of time trying to figure out how to incorporate the HonestStrike module into a non-gun design, so the bombing zone below the craft is rather widely dispersed and can't be used for much more than bombing cities or city-sized targets.  Furthermore, we discover that at high altitudes ice tends to form on the Firestorm aircraft.  This ice formation obscures vision, slowly decreases the effectiveness of the KPD4, and can cause the blastgem manufacturing system to jam.  A jammed blastgem system will invariably cripple the craft, preventing furthering bombing action.  The small explosive power of the blastgem is usually unable to completely knock out the Aether Reactor, at least, and though the craft will be unable to continue fighting without repairs the pilot will usually be able to limp home.  Expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 301