Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387292 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #945 on: April 26, 2017, 07:36:04 pm »

Revision to Myark -> Myark's apprentice.
This would likely need to be a design.

Orders
  Use crystal weapons which are protected by antimagic:
    This should have happened in the initial engagement but we have no data on it.
That's because your original order involved complicated runic silver cages to hold the caltrops, which was insane and complicated and I decided to ignore it rather than out-right fail the order.

Interviews:
    Get some survivors from the crystal weapon disaster, what specifically happened to the weapons.
    Get some wizards who have had their spellcasting disrupted.
Since this conceivably happened regardless, I'll go ahead and say you interviewed them.
- The crystal weapons vanished into aether, the way they normally would without proper magely maintainance.
- The wizards described attempting to cast magic in range of their ivory staffs as a similar feeling to when a child jumps up and down, hoping to fly.  It just doesn't happen, no matter how badly they want it to.

At the moment, I need a decision as to what to do about the trader.

Also, if you have any other orders you'd like to process, please state them now.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 26, 2017, 07:43:07 pm »

Compiled trader actions so far:

1 Sell Wand of Fireballs: Azzuro
1 Seize ship: Azzuro
2 Sell crate of crystal weapons: Roboson, 10ebbor10
3 Sell steam engine: FallacyofUrist, stabbymcstabstab, Chiefwaffles

EDIT: And just to be clear, if we sell something that we know how to make (e.g. crystal weapons or steam engine), we don't somehow lose the ability to make that thing, right?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:10:10 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 26, 2017, 07:50:33 pm »

And just to be clear, if we sell something that we know how to make (e.g. crystal weapons or steam engine), we don't somehow lose the ability to make that thing, right?

Of course not.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 26, 2017, 08:00:24 pm »

I urge you all to reconsider on the issue of the trader. If we sell him the steam engine and he goes to the enemy next, we could have just sold away several turns of work to the opponents. Crystal weapons are safer.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 26, 2017, 08:04:59 pm »

I assume if we give him crystal weapons we give him the actual spell and not some summoned crystal weapons themselves?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 26, 2017, 08:09:55 pm »

The original post about crystal weapons said just sell a crate/similar amount of the summoned stuff to the trader. I'll edit my last post.
And Roboson: It's useless for war at the moment, no? Moskurg would find it impossible or extremely hard to improve it, too, considering that the steam engine makes heavy use of spells exclusive to Arstotzka. If they wanted to improve it, they'd basically just have to completely redesign it from the ground-up. And if for some strange reason they could just ignore those blocks it's still just as useful to them as it is to us and, hell, it could even serve to sabotage them as something for them to waste time on.

And that's if the trader sells it to them. Which is possible, but unlikely.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 26, 2017, 08:10:32 pm »

As the method of summoning the weapons isn't very flashy and involves lots of mathematical equations, he would likely not be interested in purchasing the spell itself.  Selling him the actual weapons would be a valid option.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 26, 2017, 08:11:38 pm »

I do not think the steam engine idea is a good thing either. They could go electric as they have lightning right? ( worked in Avatar the last air bender.)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 26, 2017, 08:44:13 pm »

Design Idea for future:

Hot Air Balloon; By using the Fire Wall spell inside a fortified containing burning wood and coal for hot air. The canvas in a balloon held by wire lifts into the air. With pulley to how much hot air (even steam) is let out based on fuel. The advantage is a harder target, excellent sight and fire ball the hell out of them from above! Problem is mercy of weather (feek off you Moskugrians and your weather magic)

Would mainly be used in recon and helping the navy and some air bombings.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 26, 2017, 08:50:09 pm »

How about the old Minor Fireball? It's obsolete, simple, and vast military use, and what's flasher then firing fire into the air? christ he could use them as cheap fireworks and make his money back in a week in a rich noble's court.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 26, 2017, 08:55:26 pm »

Yeah old unmodified/lame fire ball can be it.

And they would not modify it due to pride or just waste time.

And the guy will benefit.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 26, 2017, 08:58:39 pm »

Kinda hesitant myself on fire-related spells because that feels like the equivalent of giving away the recipe to the (national) secret sauce. Ruins your advantage. Whether it's sent to Moskurg or some unnamed land that probably won't show up later or ever, I still don't like the idea.

What if we went with multiple nice things? A crate of crystal stuff and a steam engine based off of the very first design that we probably have lying around somewhere. Crystal stuff is cool, steam engine is still super cool and flashy despite being useless for just about anything and requiring serious fire-related improvement to do anything at all.
In fact, I think that's the best idea! Sell to the trader: A crate of crystal weapons and a steam engine based off of the very first design.

Please use the quote when giving suggestions/supporting stuff, by the way.
3 Sell steam engine: FallacyofUrist, stabbymcstabstab, Chiefwaffles
1 Sell original steam engine & crate of crystal weapons: Chiefwaffles

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 26, 2017, 09:09:05 pm »

Aren't the crystal weapons non-permenant, though? Even if anchored using a normal crystal.

The trader wouldn't be happy to have his goods vanish before his eyes.

Also, even if he trades the steam engine to the Moskurgians... they don't have the fire magic needed to use it.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 26, 2017, 09:30:55 pm »

Please use the quote when giving suggestions/supporting stuff, by the way.
4 Sell steam engine: FallacyofUrist, stabbymcstabstab, Turant, Chiefwaffles
1 Sell original steam engine & crate of crystal weapons: Chiefwaffles
[/quote]

Only because I guess the fire thing is needed and if the crappy original version only.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 26, 2017, 09:35:23 pm »

Orders
  Use crystal weapons which are protected by antimagic:
    This should have happened in the initial engagement but we have no data on it.
That's because your original order involved complicated runic silver cages to hold the caltrops, which was insane and complicated and I decided to ignore it rather than out-right fail the order.
I have an image of an old-timey trapper with wooden cages attached to their belt. Except the cages are fancy-looking, but functionally just cages, and tied closed with a bow or something to release with a tug. It seemed like a simple shift in deployment, and only used on a small scale for testing purposes, rather than a new development, but I will endeavour to have no equipment involved in future orders. But that was not the "initial engagement" to which I was referring.

The event I was referring to was the initial dispelling when our crystal weapons were last widely fielded. I believe that some of our crystal weapons would have been wielded by thanes, who would also have had antimagic charms, unless our commanders are all away from the front line in our vikingesque command structure? Can we assume then, that crystals vanished into the aether while within antimagic-charms' fields?
- The crystal weapons vanished into aether, the way they normally would without proper magely maintainance.
- The wizards described attempting to cast magic in range of their ivory staffs as a similar feeling to when a child jumps up and down, hoping to fly.  It just doesn't happen, no matter how badly they want it to.
Thankyou!

It is sounding like some sort of mundanity field. How like the Keggers to invent a no-fun-zone... Countering it is nasty. It really sounds like low-level wish-granting magic. The only obvious solution is to extend a field of "a wizard did it" to counter the no-fun-zone... Maybe we could try to fake the magic as being mundane? We could try true-naming... If the crystal lances are cosmically ordained to be crystal lances then there is nothing more mundane than being what they are supposed to be...

I am not really feeling the sale, there is no telling what will happen. I expect that the sold designs will be posted in the core thread, but beyond that I wouldn't know...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:46:22 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 301