Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199642 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2565 on: June 22, 2017, 09:22:32 am »

Would a teenager actually every write like that?

Also, you misspelled "carpet" near the bottom. Heil Grammar!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: June 22, 2017, 12:29:51 pm »

So, I've written my own thesis submission. It's basically on Hayat's pioneering research on primitive light bulbs.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:07:27 am by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: June 22, 2017, 12:41:01 pm »

Given her "chaotic and destructive behavior" learned from al-Mutriqa, wouldn't she be a little bit less than interested in how the Wand of Lightning Bolts makes things glow?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: June 22, 2017, 12:50:47 pm »

Would a teenager actually every write like that?

Also, you misspelled "carpet" near the bottom. Heil Grammar!
Listen, we're ghost writing the damn thing anyway, might as well try to address the concerns that was had on the political side and make our charge look level headed and thoughtful or whatever. Besides, this is a 10th century teenager, she's basically already middleaged.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: June 22, 2017, 12:54:39 pm »

Given her "chaotic and destructive behavior" learned from al-Mutriqa, wouldn't she be a little bit less than interested in how the Wand of Lightning Bolts makes things glow?

Well, it's not like she's doing any of this thesis-writing out of her own free will, right? May as well contribute to the development of Moskurger technology in the process. Besides, learning how to rearrange carpets to facilitate acrobatics/load-bearing doesn't quite strike me as destructive either, for that matter.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: June 22, 2017, 12:57:52 pm »

No, but her other love is of flying. It would be entirely natural for her to tinker with carpets. A lot.

Whereas she doesn't really care, evidently, for calm scholarliness and studying, instead skipping boring things like evening prayers and whatnot.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: June 22, 2017, 01:07:02 pm »

The requirement was to write a thesis on whatever subject we deemed relevant, not to restrict ourselves by our perception of the heiress based on a couple of sentences. For all we know, she could have stolen the research and bribed/murdered the original author. Fluff like this doesn't really matter, in my opinion.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: June 22, 2017, 01:17:32 pm »

But we never know whether or not it matters in eS's opinion. Actually, I suspect that realistic theses will be more highly considered, but who knows. If we knew that they weren't, I'd write up a thesis about our princess being a crazed lightning-wielding maniac who devised a method to precisely control lightning to hit what she wanted, when she wanted.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: June 23, 2017, 08:00:29 am »

I kind of love the Kahrab Light Orb. Partly because the smatterings of Arabic, partly because I don't like Arstotzka being the only one with magitech and would really like to develop more electrical technology.
Also, I can actually see Hayat messing around with lightning wands to do stupid stuff like make wires glow. She is described as being chaotic, and not as interested in prayer as most mages, but that doesn't mean she is not curious about the world. She could be an eccentric inventor type, constantly breaking rules and conventions in the name of !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: Thesises! Thesi? Thesisses? (It's Theses)
0 Weather Magic in the Light of Allah's Will (More control over weather magic):
0 Stellar Divination (Seeing the future):
2 Magical Propulsion (Improved carpets [Carpet-shaped again!]): Madman198237, Kashyyk
1 Kahrab Light Orb (Lightbulbs): NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: June 23, 2017, 08:42:35 am »

0 Weather Magic in the Light of Allah's Will (More control over weather magic):
0 Stellar Divination (Seeing the future):
2 Magical Propulsion (Improved carpets [Carpet-shaped again!]): Madman198237, Kashyyk
2 Kahrab Light Orb (Lightbulbs): NUKE9.13, SMMI

It's not a powerful advancement, but I like the writing
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: June 23, 2017, 09:26:48 am »

Thank you!

Partly because the smatterings of Arabic
To be fair, most of it is actually anglicised pseudo-Arabic rather than the real thing.

Self-voting to prevent turn delays over the tie. Hope no one minds.

(0) Weather Magic in the Light of Allah's Will (More control over weather magic):
(0) Stellar Divination (Seeing the future):
(2) Magical Propulsion (Improved carpets [Carpet-shaped again!]): Madman198237, Kashyyk
(0) An Observation of Ambient Mana and Applied Applications
(3) Kahrab Light Orb (Lightbulbs): NUKE9.13, SMMI, AC

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: June 23, 2017, 09:48:07 am »

Why though?

Working with carpets is so much more suited to her personality. She's the princess. She's not likely going to work on glowly fibers and strips of metals when she could be doing something fun instead. And she considers carpet stunts fun.

Not to mention, what does light bulbs get us, again? And why is magitech even a reason to vote for them? Who cares if Arstotzka has magitech? ES is balancing the game so that no field of magic is better than another.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: June 23, 2017, 09:52:37 am »

As far as I know, the actual Thesis doesn't do anything mechanically besides give us an opportunity at a research credit. If eS could elaborate on that I would appreciate it.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: June 23, 2017, 10:33:27 am »

Working with carpets is so much more suited to her personality. She's the princess. She's not likely going to work on glowly fibers and strips of metals when she could be doing something fun instead. And she considers carpet stunts fun.

This:
Also, I can actually see Hayat messing around with lightning wands to do stupid stuff like make wires glow. She is described as being chaotic, and not as interested in prayer as most mages, but that doesn't mean she is not curious about the world. She could be an eccentric inventor type, constantly breaking rules and conventions in the name of !!SCIENCE!!

I know several kids with attention-deficit disorders who hate studying from conventional textbooks but love messing around with circuitry and other hands-on stuff when given the opportunity. I imagine our own Lord of Chaos is capable of taking joy in a similar fashion, especially if some artistic license is applied.

(To be frank, I chose this topic simply because it seemed like a fun application of Moskurg's existing magic/technology. Not to say that I don't see your point, but I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: June 23, 2017, 11:48:41 am »

I still want fixed carpets, since it's so natural and the phrase "Now carries more Firestorm grenades on the more spacious carpet. Not to mention it's faster and gets shot down less." suits me much more than "We have glowy thingies. They glow. We have no practical applications at this time, since we don't have continuous sources of lightning. But they glow. A little."
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 217