Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199628 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2535 on: June 20, 2017, 04:18:32 pm »

Detect Sniper is unnecessary.

Just make crystal-homing blasts of lightning. Skip the finding, and go straight to the righteous blasting!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: June 20, 2017, 04:31:32 pm »

Could we perhaps implement something like Detect Sniper as part of a revision to Antichronic Reverbemancy? The former seems a little too specific whilst the latter is uselessly half-done.

Leaning towards a lightning fix this round, but I'll wait until others have expressed their opinion before casting my vote.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: June 20, 2017, 05:07:15 pm »

I think it'd be best if we could revise the academy so that al-mutriqa isn't the only teacher; it'd mean that we could improve more mages and they aren't likely to share his temperament.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: June 20, 2017, 05:15:24 pm »

Right now, more destruction is EXACTLY what we want.

That or we change the academy so al-Mutriqa becomes more powerful as a result of interacting with apprentices? As in, reverse the flow of personality, stabilizing our wizard (Possibly removing some of the extreme battle-poetry stuff) and making him thus more capable of killing things calmly?
Yeah, nevermind. Not worth the effort right now.

We don't need to fix the academy yet, it's giving us the extra full mages we want. Next turn we use the revision to make it better, but for now using our new source of magical power we can cast more lightning bolts, and so we need to make said bolts deadlier. Much deadlier.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: June 20, 2017, 05:18:41 pm »

More full extra mages would be very helpful; more lightning being called down and more ballistas with lucky strike cast on them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: June 20, 2017, 07:37:32 pm »

Yes, but making our lightning 4x as effective is even better. Because it will first require only one hit to take out an Arstotzkan, and secondly will hit them more often than lightning did before.

We literally can't lose if it goes well. Like I said: We agree that the Hammer is effective. Let's make it even better, with a spell that ALSO dodges ALL of Arstotzka's protection.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: June 20, 2017, 07:59:49 pm »

(1) Defy Resistance Egan_BW
(1) Detect Sniper: NUKE9.13
(1) Heretic's Downfall: Madman198237

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: June 20, 2017, 08:03:12 pm »

Fixing our lightning will DOUBLE the effectiveness of our lightning, we'd have to have enough mages to cast twice as many bolts before that option becomes better.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: June 20, 2017, 08:25:02 pm »

No, it will do more than that. I should've been clearer. By making our lightning actively seek out crystals, we increase the effectiveness by hitting targets with bolts that, previously, would've just hit the ground.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: June 20, 2017, 08:27:26 pm »

If the bolts seek out crystal, it seems likely that it might not even harm the user of whatever crystal equipment. And they might use crystal as decoys. My revision aims directly for the soft fleshy bits, which are much more vulnerable to damage from lightning than crystal.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: June 20, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »

Idea: Next turn we direct the THUNDER from our god's LIGHTNING to to a frequency that will deafen our enemys, and shatter their crystals.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:44:37 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:30 pm »

Ummm.....

If the bolt can't destroy their crystal armor in one hit and kill them, your design is screwed, Egan. Remember: THEY HAVE FULL-BODY CRYSTAL ARMOR. Also, if we can't kill their bloody crystal platemail with a DIRECT LIGHTNING HIT, we can't kill their cannons and warships with MULTIPLE DIRECT HITS, then we might as well quit, because eS has been taking mental naps while writing Arstotzkan designs (He hasn't, and we know for a FACT that a direct hit will damage crystal. Also, we can kill an unshielded Arstotzky who's lost his antenna/lightning rod/metal stick of bull crap [not actually mad about that. OK, so I am, but it's more a "they countered our lightning" than a "Rifled what?" scenario] in one hit, meaning our lightning works against the crystals, just not against the lightning rods)

Also, guess what Design #1 is for Arstotzka this turn?
BETTER LIGHTNING RODS, probably ones that don't shatter when hit.

So we need to go around them, and/or deploy our own "BECAUSE IT'S MAGIC" and make lightning bolts hit so violently that the metal rods get incinerated along with the soldier in question. But, basically, we MUST not get caught flat-footed here. We can't let them disable our best killing spell. Heretic's Downfall does that and more. We'll not only have complete use of lightning again, we'll also have more POWERFUL lightning, since it will ALMOST ALWAYS HIT, at least with a good roll.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: June 20, 2017, 09:14:52 pm »

Dude.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: June 20, 2017, 09:18:40 pm »

?

Capitalization is cause I was feeling too lazy to use italics.

No ctrl-I is a pain, OK?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: June 21, 2017, 01:55:30 am »

:/

We'll not only have complete use of lightning again, we'll also have more POWERFUL lightning, since it will ALMOST ALWAYS HIT, at least with a good roll.
Ever the optimist.

...ah, you know what, fine. I don't want to just go back and forth for the rest of the game designing ever better lightning that bypasses ever better lightning rods, but I guess we can spend one revision countering their counter.

(1) Defy Resistance Egan_BW
(0) Detect Sniper:
(2) Heretic's Downfall: Madman198237, NUKE9.13

Let it be known that I think this revision is overambitious to a fault. But there are two outcomes possible: either it works, in which case great, or it doesn't, in which case maybe Madman will calm down a little. Win-win.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 217