Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 188865 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2160 on: June 03, 2017, 04:43:01 pm »

You know, out chemistry experience combined with adamantium makes for some pretty definite advantages to open up to us. If we could develop smokeless gunpowder, we have the right material in plentiful quantities to virtually start off with bolt action rifles and the like instead of having to iterate through muskets. and muzzleloaders.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: June 03, 2017, 05:08:17 pm »

Guys. I think we can make tanks.

Sort of. One better anyway.

Hover tanks.

Get a giant carpet that is designed to move no higher than two meters off of the ground, slap an upside down boat on top of it, then stick a turreted ballista on top of that. With the airship and carpet experience, along with sacrificing the third dimension, we should be pretty fast and maneuverable.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 03, 2017, 05:14:06 pm »

Can that wait until we have proper ballistics?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 03, 2017, 05:16:46 pm »

It needs to wait until after the airship at the very least, but I think we could fit that in beforehand too.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 03, 2017, 05:18:18 pm »

You know, out chemistry experience combined with adamantium makes for some pretty definite advantages to open up to us. If we could develop smokeless gunpowder, we have the right material in plentiful quantities to virtually start off with bolt action rifles and the like instead of having to iterate through muskets. and muzzleloaders.
Mm... the issue with rifles though is the machining equipment needed to, you know, rifle them.
...wait, I just remembered that Arstotzka managed to rifle cannons somehow. Never mind.

I feel like we can do better than gunpowder, though. Gunpowder is boring.

I was going to suggest some weapon designs, but we've got enough on our plate right now. Let's just get airships working first.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 03, 2017, 05:20:30 pm »

Well, compressed air wouldn't deliver the forces we need to propel the bullet to speeds fast enough to punch though armour. And gunpowder means we can just make a very large gun to counter their artillery. If not outdo it completely.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 03, 2017, 05:23:40 pm »

Well, compressed air wouldn't deliver the forces we need to propel the bullet to speeds fast enough to punch though armour. And gunpowder means we can just make a very large gun to counter their artillery. If not outdo it completely.
Must I remind you that we have ~Magic~ at our disposal? We can create compressed air far more easily than by conventional means. I mean, gunpowder is just an efficient way of creating an expanding gas. Magic can be even more efficient.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 03, 2017, 05:24:56 pm »

It can be, but we can only compress air so far before we could try doing something else. And not having to rely on a trained mage would be better for the rank and file.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 03, 2017, 05:35:14 pm »

I mean, gunpowder is just an efficient way of creating an expanding gas. Magic can be even more efficient.
I imagine this is how the Arstotzkan cannons work. Possibly a mutation of their exploding fireball.

It's also logical to assume that they're working on their own rifle using the same technique.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 03, 2017, 05:37:28 pm »

It can be, but we can only compress air so far before we could try doing something else. And not having to rely on a trained mage would be better for the rank and file.
Regarding the trained mage thing, we should probably develop mana batteries at some point, to enable regular troops to use magical weapons.
Regarding the compressed air thing, like I said, gunpowder just creates a whole bunch of hot gas to propel bullets. And the heat part is only useful for expanding the gas even more. Whether you use magic or gunpowder to create the compressed air, the result is the same.

I mean, gunpowder is just an efficient way of creating an expanding gas. Magic can be even more efficient.
I imagine this is how the Arstotzkan cannons work. Possibly a mutation of their exploding fireball.
Since their cannons need water to work, I think they probably use steam.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 03, 2017, 05:38:12 pm »

By the sounds of it, their artillery is both more and better, whereas we've hit an engineering dead end with ballista.
Also it sounds like they've been contiuing to upgrade it while we do other stuff. Either way, it might be time to use our lightning magic and upgrade to railguns.

The Alsamma Safina: (4) NUKE9.13, Devastator, Kashyyk, detoxicated
Mirage Shield: (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 03, 2017, 05:39:26 pm »

Honestly the more I think about it the more we need bolt action rifles. or even machine guns.

You want to see what an MG can do with lucky strike?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 03, 2017, 05:41:50 pm »

Question: Do we have any Submissions on what our new emblem should look like?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 03, 2017, 05:44:39 pm »

None at all. Someone should work on that.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 03, 2017, 06:01:43 pm »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 217