Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199480 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2145 on: June 03, 2017, 03:32:02 am »

Well, I figure the reason that mages can't recharge their carpets in flight is due to them needing some space to do the ritual in, or whatever. My hope is that the airship's flying enchantments can be recharged whilst flying, by an apprentice dedicated to doing nothing but that.
If that is the case, then I can get behind it. Our airship should hopefully be fairly invulnerable to "sinking" like our seaships are as well, as having holes in the hull is much less dangerous.

The Alsamma Safina: (3) NUKE9.13, Devastator, Kashyyk

Do we know if their shells explode? If they do, having some sort of force wall pop up for a second to let them explode against would be a good way to counter their artillery.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: June 03, 2017, 07:26:37 am »

Still though, I really am dissapointed.  Why is everything they make always so much better?  How do they get to pack three cannons per cheap ship?

Going to let you in on a secret here.

Resource bonuses

It's a mechanic you guys ignored entirely, but which was the dominant strategy of the Artotzkan design team. A resource bonus is mechanically identical to an expense credit, for the things to which it applies.

You used it exactly twice, Arztotska used it 8 or 9 times.

So, that means we basically got 8 free expense credits. Now, more than half of those were applied to things that went obsolete (old cannon varients), but that's still 3-4 free expense credits in advantage.

With that kind of numerical advantage, it's a miracle you're still around.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:28:08 am by 10ebbor10 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: June 03, 2017, 07:31:06 am »

The plains doesn't give a resource bonus that is actually usable for anything, and the jungle is only good for boats. The  Arstotzkan metal bonus is a lot more versatile.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: June 03, 2017, 07:37:53 am »

OK.
They're beating us in artillery. How about we change the game a bit. I honestly can't see the airship doing enough, but we can try it. But seriously, just enchant the hull with the flying enchantments. We aren't going to be packing a balloon of carpets together---it'd be ridiculous, and prone to failure if you get close enough to be hit.

It also needs some sort of chute used to drop Firestorm Shells so we can harass them from straight above---makes it impossible for them to damage us. Anything they fire at us will fall back and hit their own troops.

Also, for the revision, we make the staves of Tubikh Rrahim capable of dispelling magically-summoned materials, and have an even longer range. This way, they'll be able to evaporate these new ships and their infantry. Carpet riders (With enough control over the spell from the staff) would then be able to dispel the magic falcon crystals AND any crystal artillery they roll out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:40:30 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: June 03, 2017, 07:40:58 am »

That would be the result of your complete lack of imagination.

Plains can be used to create dedicated elite units, which would have energized extremely well with your Wand of Heroism. You could have used it to train more mages, or any other thing related to people. Wood could have been used not only for boats, but also your pavise shields, Bows and ballistae.

That's just of the tip of my tongue.

But, I'm not on your team, so I'm not going to give you hints.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: June 03, 2017, 07:48:14 am »

If you're not on our team, are you Arstotzkan? Or just lurking?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: June 03, 2017, 08:02:04 am »

Ex-Arztotskan.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: June 03, 2017, 10:03:05 am »

Interesting consideration, guys:

Why don't we use a turn to design a high-explosive version of our Firestorm Shells incendiaries?

Then we invent cannons like them.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: June 03, 2017, 10:49:53 am »

Interesting consideration, guys:

Why don't we use a turn to design a high-explosive version of our Firestorm Shells incendiaries?

Then we invent cannons like them.
I was considering that, actually. Devising an explosive version of the Firestorm Shells would help against their new ships, and in general. And, I suppose, it could lead to conventional cannons. Even though conventional cannons would be boring.
...I'd actually prefer something like this

Nfs Alllah (God's Breath): This design is totally not inspired by the Arstotzkans. The fact that our engineers took a captured Arstotzkan cannon to pieces whilst designing it is totally a coincidence. Hem hem.
Anyway, this weapon consists of a large Adamantium tank, connected to a long Adamantium barrel. A valve is located between the two. A shell is inserted into the barrel, then the magical pumps are activated, which pump air into the tank until the pressure within has built up to such a level that, when the valve is opened, the compressed air rushes out, propelling the shell over vast distances. The weapon is placed on a rotating platform, making it capable of aiming in all directions.

Yeah, yeah. That would work, probably. Maybe once we've got airships working, we could develop something like that.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: June 03, 2017, 11:15:47 am »

Relying on more magic is probably a really terrible idea right now. Just saying.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: June 03, 2017, 11:59:13 am »

Relying on more magic is probably a really terrible idea right now. Just saying.
Again, I refer you to the title. Magic is the name of the game. I mean, their artillery? Magic. Our artillery? Magic-assisted. Which is better? Theirs. More magic = Better.
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: June 03, 2017, 12:08:11 pm »

The Alsamma Safina: (4) NUKE9.13, Devastator, Kashyyk, detoxicated

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: June 03, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »

Ebbor, you quit.  You made a big tantrum about it and nearly derailed the game.  Go do something else besides post in a thread you made a big stink about leaving.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: June 03, 2017, 04:25:46 pm »

I made a cohesive argument (and wasn't the only one. Hell, I was asleep for most of it), and you're the one who ran away for a week rather than face or address criticism. Similarly, now you're the one who resorts immediately to personal attacks rather than politely asking.

It's not like I had anything left to say.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:34:29 pm by 10ebbor10 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: June 03, 2017, 04:27:36 pm »

Then leave.  I don't want to see you posting in the wands race threads again.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 217