Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199508 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2190 on: June 04, 2017, 10:09:08 am »

Hear my plan.
sky ship > earth magic to build trenches> earth magic Tunnel making
WBecauseel warfare?  Because our halberds are superiour in terms of efficiency and because we have firestorm Shell which we could place underneath key enemy positions. distracting them in the air will help us win underground

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: June 05, 2017, 10:18:58 am »

Design: Alsamma Safina [6-1, 3-2, 4]

After some quick math showed we'd need nearly 200 War Pegasi to get a single Sirocco off the ground water, we quickly set about stripping off unneeded parts of the ship.  No need for sails, after all.  And with no sails, we don't need any masts.  Only the bottom of the ship needs to be armored, so we strip the Adamantium off the deck.  Rudders don't really work in the air, so that goes too.  And without a rudder, we really don't need a steering wheel, either.

The end result is a pretty bare hull, deck, ballista, and basic crew quarters, and we still need an obscene number of very-expensive War Pegasi to keep it up.  The crew is entirely made up of mages; Apprentices work the ballista and Wizards constantly re-enchant the carpets.  It's exhausting work, and being idle for more than a few minutes sees the air ship begin to lose altitude and (if even possible) speed.  It's slow, difficult to turn (as all the carpets need to move in unison) and debilitatingly expensive.  As a matter of fact, al-Mutriqa is the only one who can keep so many carpets working together in unison, let alone constantly re-enchanted.

Despite these draw-backs, the Alsamma Safina promises to be devastatingly effective.  The deck-mounted ballista still can't shoot down, but it can shoot horizontally.  The increased starting height gives the weapon range that would normally be considered Beyond Line-Of-Sight, were it on the ground.  Being able to actually see where it hits despite the range gives it yet another advantage.  At closer-range, the Alsamma Safina can drop its fire-storm ammunition overboard onto the enemy below, or the mages on board could instead use their Wands of Thunderbolts.  The lack of spare lifting capacity means the mages are without guards to fight any intercepting falcons, but standing on a deck should make it slightly easier to fight them off.

The War Pegasi are all kept below-deck, away from the rain, sun, or attacking falcons.  There is a lengthy debate about the ethics of keeping War Pegasi tied up in the dark, but ultimately it's decided that they're just carpets and not actual, living things.  National Effort.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:09:48 am by evictedSaint »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: June 05, 2017, 10:27:54 am »

Okay.

Main things to fix:

- Cheaper Carpets
- Downward Aiming Ballista

Both of those will also affect units other than the Alsamma Safina, so even if we can't field her this year, we haven't wasted a year.

Personally, I think we should work on the carpets, they are by far our most useful asset as it stands.

Simplified Pegasi Enchantment - By working out the kinks in the spells, and weaving parts of the enchantment into the fabric to help hold the magic, a carpet can now be maintained by an apprentice.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: June 05, 2017, 10:40:17 am »

So, I'd just revise the ship to carry the enchantments itself. That's make it much better. If we only have one, we only have one. Oh well. It's still going to be remarkably powerful.

Especially as al-Mutriqa is going to be on the deck. It's NE, after all. If we send that thing to the mountains, it ought to make QUITE the impact.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: June 05, 2017, 10:57:09 am »

Ah. I had hoped we would be able to use the Expensive original carpets, rather than the Very Expensive War Pegasi.
Well, at least it isn't Theoretical.

Anyway. We can surely streamline production of the carpets, rendering them less expensive, and perhaps in turn rendering the Alsamma Safina merely Very Expensive.
...Is that what you're suggesting, Kashyyk? Because it looks like you are suggesting making them easier to use, rather than easier to produce.

I suggest we do

Streamlined Pegasi Production: A War Pegasi requires more than a dozen enchantments to function. Naturally, this makes producing them a nightmare, requiring expensive materials and painstaking precision. Yet our researchers suggest that there is a lot of overlap between enchantments- redundant magic, wasted effort. The initial design of the War Pegasi was... not the most well-thought out. We put all our efforts into just making them work, and spared no time for optimisations. Now, we shall take that time, rewriting the enchantments in a more elegant fashion, cutting out duplicated magic, fixing bugs that were initially patched over in the crudest way possible. This should hopefully reduce the complexity of the various enchantments by a substantial amount, which in turn should lower the cost of production.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: June 05, 2017, 11:02:09 am »

That is what I meant, just less succinct than the way you've said it.
(2)Streamlined Pegasi Production - NUKE9.13, Kashyyk

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: June 05, 2017, 02:07:43 pm »

(3)Streamlined Pegasi Production - NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Crazyabe
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: June 05, 2017, 06:47:54 pm »

Sounds good to me.
(4) Streamlined Pegasi Production - NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Crazyabe, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: June 06, 2017, 08:05:56 am »

Let us go for earth magic now.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: June 06, 2017, 08:14:17 am »

Yeah.

I'm beginning to see the potential value of shaping terrain to fit our needs.

I recommend just that---shaping, not creating. That would also allow us to do fun things like raise fortresses overnight, and tunnel THROUGH the mountains...right into their forts.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: June 06, 2017, 09:35:15 am »

Revision: Streamlined Pegasi Production [6]

War Pegasi were initially woven with a multitude of prayers, hymns, and passages from the Holy Book.  A bit of examination shows that a lot of these are actually redundant.  We can instead get the same effect by using only the most violent tales of vengence and justice from our Holy Book, along with some more elegant spell-weaving.  The weaving still requires silver thread, but the more streamlined spellweaving results in less of it being used.

As an added bonus, we find that by using the magic imbune in the carpet more efficiently we can actually make them last longer.  The enchantments still aren't permanent, as that would require a dedicated bit of research, but our carpet riders should be able to stay aloft a bit longer.

The cheaper carpet production makes the War Pegasi Expensive.

The Alsamma Safina is still expensive, but no longer a National Effort.  It is now Very Expensive, but will requires several dedicated wizards to manage each flock of War Pegasi below deck.  Oddly enough, we can actually afford to field as many Alsamma Safina as we can Sirocco's.

Please vote on your emblem.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: June 06, 2017, 09:42:13 am »

Ok, since we need the most Impressive emblem, I Think we should use one of my Designs for the most effect and the best chance to get the research credit.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: June 06, 2017, 09:58:20 am »

I like your latest emblem the most, though I have a few suggestions.
-Replace 'For in god we trust' with 'في الله نثق', which is the same in Arabic.
-If possible, make the tornadoes bigger (by making the pyramid smaller)
-I don't really like the squiggly thing in the center.
-If possible, try to work some blue into it? Blue is Moskurg's colour, whilst Arstotzka is red.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: June 06, 2017, 10:22:13 am »

I'm on my Laptop, so this wasn't as easy, especially since the original was on my PC, but I think I did a good job.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: June 06, 2017, 10:25:39 am »

I'm on my Laptop, so this wasn't as easy, especially since the original was on my PC, but I think I did a good job.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hey, yeah! That's pretty good!

I vote for ^That^
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 217