Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199383 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2010 on: May 28, 2017, 08:49:05 pm »

Just posted a design for a catapult.
Er, in an edit of the last post.

I don't think armoring up ballistae is going to cut it. I think we need to spend a revision (If the catapult goes well) to make a wheeled, weighted adamantine pavise shield.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 28, 2017, 08:52:00 pm »

The problem with that is the pavises are Very Expensive (for some unimaginable reason..) and probably need to be cheaper.  I'm fine with Adamantium Pavises, but I'd really want to just rev all metal -> adamantium sooner or later, and ada's still base Expensive.  So revving it cheaper while adding an expensive component seems unlikely.

And do note, that although it isn't listed, we should have enchantments available for one more range increment on our torsion artillery that could be applied to the new catapult.

I still do want it to be Cheap, though.  Every time we design something with Expensive adamantium we seem to take a penalty to cost.  They have absurdly cheap and good artillery, and if we're matching it strength on strength, we need our own to be equally cheap.

The sea advantage may be enough.. we could let it roll another turn and design cheap adamantium this turn.  That would let us rev. metal-ada, and then next turn just roll them over with Ada. Shields and rev our heroism wand to have a greater AoE.  I'd bet that'll let us chase them down.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:56:17 pm by Devastator »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 28, 2017, 08:56:19 pm »

Well, using the revision to make an entirely new pavise should remove our issues with expense.

Also, we'd be better off just making the catapult simple at first. Revise (Or, more likely, design new) later to capitalize on all our abilities. First learn to swim, then learn to dive.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 28, 2017, 09:02:33 pm »

Well, using the revision to make an entirely new pavise should remove our issues with expense.

Also, we'd be better off just making the catapult simple at first. Revise (Or, more likely, design new) later to capitalize on all our abilities. First learn to swim, then learn to dive.

We do have very good artillery to boot already, so any improvement will be fairly challenging.  All the same, we have a lot of bonuses to the attempt, so it shouldn't be impossible.

Here's the writeup for the Adamantium manufacturing:

School of Theological Engineering.  The main restriction for use of the new material, Adamantium, is the requirement for a new profession to be formed.  A leather vest may take a half-dozen people from the horse to the customer.  It goes from the farmer to the buyer to the tanner to the tailor, with people transporting it from one to the other all throughout the process.  Adamantium requires a new profession to be created for the manufacture and use of the good, and as such, requires an organized school to teach apprentices and blacksmiths the techniques required to become Scholastics, and fill the gap in the process.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:04:06 pm by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 28, 2017, 09:06:49 pm »

I feel the need to reiterate what I told you guys when you upgraded the ballistas to Extreme Range.  You'll likely be able to get just one more range increase out of it, but you're running into limitations that are simply inherent to torsion artillery.  Without your Lucky Strike, your ballistas would have been outclassed a long time ago.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 28, 2017, 09:08:40 pm »

Which is why I'm considering not doing it.  I'm a bit miffed at their shells not breaking apart on our ship hulls, though.  Are they harder than steel, or is the coating not thick enough?

(I'm estatic about the results, to be honest.  Did Myark get injured having lost a battle?)

We might want to fix it just by having some large area buffs.  Get the adamantium for all our soldier's gear, and just go for mass haste spells so we can simply charge them out of existance.  Mithril cloth will handle the cold once we get to it, so that should be solveable.  Once we're in medium range, antimagic will snuff their cannons out.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:11:18 pm by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 28, 2017, 09:11:15 pm »

They developed shaped ammo a long time ago to get an accuracy bonus.  It's shaped like conventional artillery shells to take advantage of their rifling. 

Also, how the fuck are you miffed?  Your ships are deflecting shells that used to sink your ships in a single hit.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: May 28, 2017, 09:11:52 pm »

I'd say that catapults, given their much larger torsion/energy-storage capability, advantages of leverage, and the utterly non-laws-of-physics-obeying ways in which we use magical materials should be capable of giving us a massive range bonus compared to ballistae. As in, massive enough to catch their cannons.

Unless we can go into trebuchets. Those might be better. But I really don't want to have to play catchup with cannons and crap like that.

The alternative, of course, is to build an all-adamantine cannonproof ship....and then making it fly next turn.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 28, 2017, 09:12:05 pm »

I'm estatic about the results.  Just was hoping they'd shatter as it would mean heavy shields would be a strong counter.  ;-p

Not shattering might mean we should just go into spells at this point to solve their artillery.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: May 28, 2017, 09:13:45 pm »

Myark and al-Mutriqa are only injured when facing off against each other.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 28, 2017, 09:17:33 pm »

Myark and al-Mutriqa are only injured when facing off against each other.

Dang.  Where was al-Mutriqa?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 28, 2017, 09:18:54 pm »

jungle.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 28, 2017, 09:21:37 pm »

Screw it, guys.

Da Vinci's Battlewagon
This battlefield monstrosity is basically a shell of cannon-proof adamantine, flipped over and mounted on a large, wheeled base. The edges of the shell are very close to the ground, but not close enough to interfere with the movement of the machine, except on exceedingly rocky or rough ground. There are doors on the back for the exit and entrance of troops and horses, and a ballistae mounted on a platform built onto the frame at the front, capable of firing through a very narrow aperture. The Battlewagon is propelled by a team of horses inside the shell, and brings along a squad of soldiers who walk underneath the shell until they reach Arstozkan artillery lines.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 28, 2017, 09:37:19 pm »

If we go for a battlewagon, I really want that adamantium to be cheap so we'll have enough of them.

School of Theological Engineering: (1) Devastator

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 28, 2017, 09:38:56 pm »

It doesn't have to be cheap. We won't make them "cheap". We use the design and revision, if necessary, and we take a look at using the expense credit. We don't need to burn a design on making adamantine cheaper.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 217