Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 199386 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2040 on: May 29, 2017, 04:28:27 am »

So, I mean, we're not in great shape. But I really think the way to change this war around is to focus on flight. And to do that, we first need to focus on

Mithril: Following our development of a divine metal, our forge-imams have proposed a new project, one which they refer to as Mawdue al'Iilhi, 'Divine Thread'. The idea is to use a similar technique to Adamantium to summon flexible threads of metal instead of ingots, which can then be woven into a nigh-impenetrable cloth. Our less poetic researchers have taken to referring to this hypothetical material as 'Mithril'.
Mithril could be used to make cloth armour that is impenetrable to arrows, sails that deflect fireballs, and many other intriguing items. One researcher insists that the cloth must be lightweight, so that we can make Pegasi out of it.

Because look, what is the most important aspect of long-range warfare? Hint: artillery is the second most important.
...hint two: it's aerial superiority. They're beating us in artillery, and as the GM says, we aren't going to be able to win that race without inventing a completely new sort of weapon. But we can win the air race, and they won't be able to compete without, I dunno, inventing the infernal combustion engine and building a plane.

I realise that this would provide us with little-to-no benefit this turn, but I hope that spending a revision to make Adamantium a widely-used metal will provide a sufficient bonus that we don't lose too much ground- and then next turn, boom, airships. What can they do against airships?

Wand of Lightning Bolts: (2) Devastator, Madman198237
Mithril: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 29, 2017, 04:44:05 am »

Wand of Lightning Bolts: (2) Devastator, Madman198237
Mithril: (2) NUKE9.13, detoxicated

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 29, 2017, 06:52:44 am »

(We're losing right now and need to boost our air support to win)

(..I know this won't help us now, but..)

Wands of lightning bolt are a design to help us win back air superiority by letting our carpet riders shoot down birds easily.

With the birds down we can bomb out their artillery.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:07:50 am by Devastator »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 29, 2017, 07:12:32 am »

Let's start with the lightning. If we can use a single design to regain the air, we ought to be able to go back to round-the-clock bombing raids again. We use this turn's design and revision if necessary. If the revision's not necessary, then we use the revision to try and develop a super-hard version of mithril, or perhaps a method of easing the shaping process. Either one would be a huge benefit, though the revision might get us closer to replacing normal metals with mithril.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 29, 2017, 07:13:21 am »

We have been explicitly told that it's a one-revision possibility to replace normal metals with adamantium.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 29, 2017, 07:14:51 am »

Hmm. Okay, I missed the bit about using lightning wands to kill birds. I guess that makes sense.

I can acknowledge that I am, perhaps, a little bit obsessed with the idea of building an airship.

Fine, fine. Taking out their AA will have a more immediate impact this turn.

Wand of Lightning Bolts: (3) Devastator, Madman198237, NUKE9.13
Mithril: (1) detoxicated
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 29, 2017, 07:15:31 am »

But in its present state is that a possibility? As in, given the expense, can we declare that we're going to use the expense credit (With a vote, obviously) and then revise it into all our other metals now?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 29, 2017, 07:18:39 am »

Don't see why not.  We've got no advanced construction techniques.. no welding, no casting, no machine tools.  We're not using anything fancy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:38:16 am by Devastator »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 29, 2017, 07:20:26 am »

The metal is expensive.

Do we have enough to replace all our gear?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 29, 2017, 07:20:42 am »

We would with the chit, yes.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 29, 2017, 07:21:47 am »

That's all I was saying.

And, also, for eS: Can we preemptively use the expense credit and revise the metal onto all our existing metals in the same turn?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 29, 2017, 06:20:25 pm »

Expense Credit occurs after the Revision.

It looks like it's the wand of lightningbolts.  I'm going to go ahead and roll it up.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 29, 2017, 06:44:29 pm »

Design: Wand of Lightning Bolts [4, 5, 2]

Made from turned glass, an Adamantium core, and painted with copper and zinc leafing, the Wand of Lightning Bolts is our second attempt to develop a battle spell that an individual wizard could cast by himself.  The wand must be charged beforehand, which is the simple task of building a lightning rod tower and calling down the Hammer of Allah on it.  Each wand can carry a single charge and unleash a modestly powerful lightning bolt that could fry a single man, cannon, or multiple birds (if they're close together).  The bolt always terminates at the ground, limiting its range to Close - or Medium range, if the wizard is flying.

The wand is difficult to aim, and the lightning often arcs off in random and surprising directions.  Wizards who use the wand must stand a great distance apart to avoid friendly fire.  Like normal lightning, we have yet to figure out how to control the powerful force of nature absolutely, and on rare occasion the over-eager bolt will shatter the wand as it leaps towards the ground, maiming the wizard.  This is relatively rare, however, and our mages have taken to wearing thick, cumbersome leather gloves on their casting hand to prevent being mutilated by the glass shards.  The lightning will slowly fade in the glass prison, and Wands of Lightning have a shelf-life of a couple days before they must be recharged.

Because the wands are relatively easy to fabricate and charge, they are merely Expensive.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 29, 2017, 07:00:22 pm »

Revision: make all possible equipment out of Adamantium.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 29, 2017, 07:41:19 pm »

How about this:

Endless Wand of Lightning
Taking what we have learned about lightning through all our weather magics, this wand can store greater amounts of power and thus fire for significantly longer periods of time. It can be used several times before being exhausted, allowing each carpet-rider to shoot down most of the flocks that will inevitably rise to attack them.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 217