Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 188849 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1365 on: May 01, 2017, 04:41:31 pm »

Good!  That's good enough.  Expensive will do for most things.  That said, we seem to need related spells, so if we want buff items we'll need buff spells related to it.

I propose we do one of those with our revision this turn, say by taking one of the components of Superheroism as a seperate spell.  Or we could revise our boats to have deeper keels so they can take advantage of the wind to be faster.  It'll allow us to control range better.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: May 01, 2017, 04:43:35 pm »

So, if I'm understanding it clearly we're going to have to fix our firestorm shells to be usable at extreme range?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 01, 2017, 04:46:28 pm »

So, if I'm understanding it clearly we're going to have to fix our firestorm shells to be usable at extreme range?

They occasionally go out before launching.  Reliability is lower at Extreme Range.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: May 01, 2017, 04:55:42 pm »

Firestorm shell revision: An effort is made to ensure the the wick is not put out by the wind, and to reinforce the clay pot further to prevent the ballista from breaking the pot.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 01, 2017, 05:02:59 pm »

Darnit I hate when things move too fast.
We should've developed catapults.
Bigger payload, longer range, tremendous fear factor (The entire remainder of my platoon died in ONE SHOT?).

Then a revision on ammo, if necessary, to make a bigger firestorm shell. Then we'd be set. Now what can we do with this revision to get back on the offensive?
Is there no way for us to bring down the costs of the new ballistae? We desperately need to keep them flooded with artillery. We can't outrange them, we NEED to take them out.

For magic....would the trader be content with our flame shells? I can't help but think that his countrymen would be greatly pleased with a small store of incredibly deadly projectiles. If not, well, best we can probably do is the teletalk wands. A nation with no magical enemies, a trader who can't see the magic, won't really understand what to do with antimagic. Demonstrate to him the ability of a man to communicate through relay to the far side of an army, and then sell him enough wands to make it happen. Then, we use that credit ASAP to make our enchanted ballistae more powerful.

Now then: Perhaps we can revise FIRESTORM to carry enchantment? If we could get the ammunition to carry either a Lucky Strike or wind-based shatter, we'll be set to kill a lot of stuff this year.

I'm going to leave a few ideas, along with my personal favorite down below.
Lucky Strike on Firestorm Shells: (0)
Explosion of the Winds on Firestorm Shells: (1) Madman198237
Enchanted Ballistae---rename to Storm of Allah (Maybe?), revise for additionally powerful enchantments to accuracy: (0)
Firestorm shell revision: (1) Taricus
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 01, 2017, 05:07:01 pm »

The costs of the ballistae haven't actually gone up, both the enchantment and the ballista itself are expensive, meaning we can enchant every ballista we have.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 01, 2017, 05:10:19 pm »

Yeah, but we're starting to lose them to arty fire. If we can turn the fields to flame, we can win. They were never able to do what we can now do with the ballistae. They depend on fewer, better troops. We can burn them all. THEN, we can burn their fortresses, and break into any fortified town they don't surrender.

Oh, and we need to push the North Sea. We don't seem to be doing anything there, as far as I recall, and it could be a chance for us to win the war at sea---if they're dedicating all their North Sea boats to the West, we can take North and then have twice their fleet in the West. Not to mention, if we start running pinprick cavalry raids, we'll be tiring out soldiers they could use as replacements for front-line troops. Or even forcing them to defend a larger front.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 01, 2017, 05:17:41 pm »

There's a better idea.

We can make permanent enchantments.  We started it out by enchanting a rock.

If we invent a spell to make things extra hard and tough, we can equip our entire army with the equivalent of adamantium.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: May 01, 2017, 05:18:24 pm »

It'd suggest waiting until we can make our ships cheaper via expense credit before pushing there. The Arstotzkan navy will be burned to cinders with our more effective and more numerous ships.

Now, the ballistae are able to outrange the enemy. And there's no point in developing catapults, especially since they would not be able to hit things as precisely as our ballistae. No point in enchanting the firestorm shells if they're still going to break (If anything, that'd make the breakages worse).

@Devestator: Permanent enchantments would be great. It'd be a design though so we'll save that for next turn?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: May 01, 2017, 05:19:23 pm »

Yeah.  But we -have- permanent enchantments.  That's what our Enchanting is.

If I remember right, the plains sea can't allow for attacks into the north or south sea.  Or vice-versa.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:21:54 pm by Devastator »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: May 01, 2017, 05:21:18 pm »

Well if we're going to do it to our armour we're going to need a new spell to make it stronger. Same goes for weapons.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: May 01, 2017, 05:23:51 pm »

I'm saying, let's at least give this firestorm revision a shot. It'd likely be our best bet for amplifying damage. If we outrange them, that's cool, but we're not quite accurate enough to guarantee a hit and kill on, say, a catapult if we hit it, whereas a ship is a large enough target than even at extreme range we'll be able to hit. And that's all you have to do with Alnnar Almuqaddasa. One hit, and the ship is all but doomed. They can't extinguish the flames, whether they are spread across one meter or three. And catapults will be naturally longer-ranged, and so will have higher accuracies at long range. And the payload is the real kicker. You start dropping a larger version of Firestorm on their heads, and it's going to get ugly fast. I'm going to keep recommending the revision. Worst case, it tends to explode on the ballistae and we don't enchant more until we fix the problem. But we'll have learned a little more about enchanting already-existing objects.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: May 01, 2017, 05:24:24 pm »

Well if we're going to do it to our armour we're going to need a new spell to make it stronger. Same goes for weapons.

Yeah.  But I don't think we'd need a different spell for each.  Just a spell to make steel harder and tougher, and then a revision to make it into an enchantment.  Since we're enchanting steel, we shouldn't need revisions for every steel item, as steel in an arrowhead isn't that much different than steel in a halberd.

It might be two design phases for that, though.  One to make the spell, the second to formalize the 'material' for use.  Also because we don't have any spell that does that currently, so we can't really guarantee it.

I'm not against a firestorm revision, just want to make sure we do it.  I also really want that expense credit, as we might need it for the above plan.  I'm guessing our 'make storms' wand should work as a sales item, as no more droughts is definately worth a lot of money.  Same with teletalk.  Either of those two.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:27:33 pm by Devastator »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: May 01, 2017, 05:27:05 pm »

Well we might be able to get it in one given our previous experience.

@Madman: Your username is appropriate, I'd rather not lose both ballistas AND crews to a more unstable firestorm shell. Those things still break on the ballista and upping their firepower is not an option while that is still a risk. Catapultsw will NOT be longer ranged however, and trebushets are complex and immobile.

And Range does not equal accuracy. Just because an object can be shot far doesn't mean it'll be on target.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: May 01, 2017, 05:32:44 pm »

Oh, and for full information, there's a lot of difference between the steel in an arrowhead and the steel in something else.  But since most of our metal-related attempts have been kinda crap, I'm thinking our blacksmiths haven't figured them out, and hence there's just 'steel.'
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 217