Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 43884 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]
« Reply #405 on: July 02, 2017, 07:51:41 pm »

No, you fool.

I, General Lee, am correct about everything.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 02, 2017, 09:05:51 pm »

I don't care about your Breeding! Human gene r'all eequally stupid!
Torture that pun! Torture it until its ancestors weep!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 02, 2017, 09:24:18 pm »

That is why we are making wolf-hawk men hybrids.  Grown in nice and clean tanks, all smart super solider genes.

If only I can find the first grown set, they have gotten lost somewhere in the dungeons beneath our academy.  Oh well not a bad sign I am sure.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 02, 2017, 10:50:06 pm »

That is why we are making wolf-hawk men hybrids.  Grown in nice and clean tanks, all smart super solider genes.

If only I can find the first grown set, they have gotten lost somewhere in the dungeons beneath our academy.  Oh well not a bad sign I am sure.
The escaped catgirl assassins probably smuggled them out.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 02, 2017, 11:37:58 pm »

Aaaargh, too much bioengineering! I don't want to be in the Moerth Ark!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 02, 2017, 11:44:47 pm »

Any rumors of cat-people are complete fabrication. The Arstotzkan Ministry of Truth requests that citizens do not spread false rumors. Arstotzka does not have cat-people, and never will. Statements to the contrary are lies designed to weaken the integrity of Arstotzka.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 02, 2017, 11:47:18 pm »

Riiiight.  No bio-engineered summoned monstrosities here... I am just working on nice safe plant magic, that is what you guys pay me for...

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 28, 2017, 12:51:29 am »

Bump. Hoping we arn't suffering from a case of Our Saint getting burnt out...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 05, 2017, 05:06:15 pm »

eh, a little, but i should be back at it again this weekend.  it was an unexpected hiatus.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 06, 2017, 02:49:04 am »

I have a complaint about the battle report. Out of respect and a want to not cause too much trouble, this will be my only post on the matter unless someone directly asks me a question. I would also like to preface saying that I know evicted isn't perfect and that he can't have perfect judgement; it's ultimately all arbitrary regardless of the person deciding. I'm not mad at evicted at all, I just believe he made a mistake in this combat report. And if he disagrees, I'll be fine.

For reference, here's the relevant behavior rule:
2. Keep in mind that I am not a historian, so there will sometimes be mistakes and inaccuracies. Even in the best of circumstances, minor inconsistencies are a common occurrence. If some piece of equipment is imbalanced/unrealistic, I might consider changing it if you bring it up once -AND ONLY ONCE- and politely state your argument. However, I will err on the side of consistency with my own game, I do not like to go back and change things. Sometimes it is more important to simply keep the game running smoothly than other concerns.
I know it's stretching it a bit to "use" this rule for overall battle reports and I've tried to avoid doing that in the past, but I feel particularly strong about this one in particular. I'm not looking for it to be retroactively changed of course, but I would greatly appreciate either a (brief) explanation of why I'm wrong or for evicted to possibly take this into consideration for the future.

TL;DR: How is Moskurg winning in air now? And how are they winning in support units?

"Support Units"
The Taiga has this quote giving the reason for the even battle:
With Arstotzka winning out in the melee's and Moskurg winning out when it comes to support units, the battle is actually pretty even.

Here are the Arstotzkan support units:
  • The Restless - A train. Specifically designed to cart supplies and soldiers to the front lines and behind them. The Restless is Very Expensive.
  • The Valkyrie - An aerial transport that can carry 10 people or a modest amount of supplies. It can also survive combat and is therefore extra-useful for the front lines and beyond. It's Cheap.

Here are the (known) Moskurger support units:
  • The Modified Phoenix - A delicate cargo airship. It can carry much more than the Valkyrie, but cannot really survive any hostile engagements. Expensive.

So Arstotzka has a train dedicated purely to moving supplies and men around behind the front lines, and a transport aircraft to fill in the gaps as well as transporting men/supplies through/to hostile areas. Moskurg, on the other hand, just has the Phoenix for largely moving things around behind the front lines.
Furthermore, Arstotzka beats Moskurg in expense. Their Phoenix is either Expensive or Very Expensive. The Valkyrie is Cheap. We know from experience, such as the transition of the HA1 from Expensive to Cheap, that there is a very sizeable difference between Expensive and Cheap. We should still have way more Valkyries than they have Phoenixes, which should make up for the loss in capacity.

Hell, the Valkyrie is even stated to be as fast as the Lightning. Which is faster than every other Moskurger aircraft. So the Valkyrie is cheaper and faster.
And of course, again, there's the Restless. The Valkyrie doesn't even need to match the Phoenix in capacity because we already have an established train network made purely for moving around men and supplies.

Moskurgs Phoenix is too much of a target and Expensive, so it is regulated solely to bringing up troops and dropping off supplies from the capitol.
Which our Restless trains already accomplish, freeing up the Cheap Valkyrie for other tasks.

Yet Moskurg is stated explicitly to be outright beating Arstotzka in terms of support units. This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Air Dominance

From the latest Combat Report:
Much as in the desert, the two airforces are more-or-less even, with Moskurg edging out slightly ahead with their Wands hitting out an extra degree of range.  Arstotzka is still faster, Moskurg still has better maneuverability and acceleration, and Arstotzka still has the longer-range offensive armament.  The two airforces have come to a begrudging respect for one another, although both will point out their own advantages when the topic of who would win in a dogfight comes up.
So now they're actually beating us. By a small amount, but still beating us.

Because let's look at the previous combat report:
For the very first time, Arstotzka is on par in the air.
Let's go into why the Lightning is effective:
This is exacerbated by Arstotzka's new powered turrets, which make fly-by assaults on Skyhawks more common.  The ability for the guns to rotate smoothly and track targets evenly makes it easy to hit the large and mostly-immobile floating artillery platforms and knock them out of the sky.  Moskurgs Skyskiffs do their best, but they can't go as fast as a Lightning at max speed, and their ability to fight is limited solely to short range due to the limited range of the Wands of Thunderbolt and the fact that they have no other offensive air-to-air weapon.  They can't catch Lightning's either, since the pilots can't see before they even reach max speed.  Then, with the the ability for the Lightning to track targets more easily, they start finding their own fighters getting shot down.

• We still are faster than them.
  • We still outrange them. (the Lightning turret has an effective range of Long Range. Moskurg's lightning is now Medium range.)
  • We still have powered turrets.

This is when the Lightning was Expensive. Like I said earlier, there is a huge difference between Expensive and Cheap. And we were on par with Moskurg in air combat.
We made our Lightnings cheap, which should effectively multiply the effectiveness of our airforce.

But now, Moskurg's winning in air. By a slight amount, sure, but they're winning. What did Moskurg do?
  • Make their wands of lightning medium-ranged. Still outranged by the Lightning.
  • Add an explosive element to lightning.

The first change should be obvious in its lack of impact. But let me elaborate on the explosive lightning. The Lightning is heavily-armored. Not only that, but its armor is specifically designed to resist lightning and electricity. So that resistance should immediately take the lightning down a level, though it's still explosive. But then this explosion has to get through the heavy armor.
Their explosive lightning is of course much more useful and I won't deny that, but ultimately we're still faster than them and we still outrange them and our guns still oneshot them, while thanks to our armor and lightning resistance, Moskurger lightning shouldn't be able to one-shot our aircraft at all.

Again.
We made the Lightning cheap. Beforehand, when it was Expensive, we were actually on par (if not slightly ahead) in air! Then we made it Cheap while Moskurg made their lightning less useless. But bam. Now we're suddenly losing in the air. Not even on par still, but losing. While none of our reasons for winning in the air changed and we greatly increased the frequency of our sole reason for winning in the air.

This makes no sense.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:59:28 am by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 06, 2017, 06:47:59 am »

I'm going to point out some things that I feel you've missed.

With regards to support units, Moskurg controls the coasts and evicted has regularly mentioned in our reports (and presumably in yours) that we this has allowed us to land forces behind Arstotzkan lines. My assumption is this ability, compared to the Valkyrie (which was described as taking heavy casualties due to it's limited armour) is what is keeping us ahead in battlefield support. I imagine the Phoenix Transport and your trains are on par.

With regards to air, I'm pretty sure we aren't winning. It is repeatedly mentioned that we've lost our air advantage, and it's only our weather control that keeps us contending. However even though you are controlling the sky, you can't do anything with it because you have no effective bombers, whereas literally every flying unit we have was designed for a ground attack role, so when we're able to break through we're able to deal damage.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2017, 06:50:23 am »

Either way, please keep complaining because ES will weigh things more in our favour just to get the game to end :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 06, 2017, 08:26:29 am »

We win cuz of the weather... but thx for sharing intel...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2017, 08:47:56 am »

Either way, please keep complaining because ES will weigh things more in our favour just to get the game to end :P
Please ignore Taricus.

I can see where you are coming from, though I think you've missed a few things. There's what Kashyyk already pointed out. In addition, your assumption that increasing the range on our lightning does nothing is foolish- you may well still outrange us, but at least now we don't have to get as close as before. You outrange us less. This makes it easier for us to shoot down your craft than before.
Long Live United Forenia!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 06, 2017, 08:52:29 am »

We win cuz of the weather... but thx for sharing intel...
Your weather control manifests in a difficulty for us to run sorties and fly in formation, actually. And everything in my post is available to both sides.

I'm going to point out some things that I feel you've missed.

With regards to support units, Moskurg controls the coasts and evicted has regularly mentioned in our reports (and presumably in yours) that we this has allowed us to land forces behind Arstotzkan lines. My assumption is this ability, compared to the Valkyrie (which was described as taking heavy casualties due to it's limited armour) is what is keeping us ahead in battlefield support. I imagine the Phoenix Transport and your trains are on par.

With regards to air, I'm pretty sure we aren't winning. It is repeatedly mentioned that we've lost our air advantage, and it's only our weather control that keeps us contending. However even though you are controlling the sky, you can't do anything with it because you have no effective bombers, whereas literally every flying unit we have was designed for a ground attack role, so when we're able to break through we're able to deal damage.
I don't deny that we lack ground attack roles. Because we do. I'm just talking about our control over the air.

The combat report mentions us being roughly equal, with Moskurg "edging out slightly ahead. " it's not by much, but it definitely seems like Moskurg's winning in air-to-air combat.

I can see where you are coming from, though I think you've missed a few things. There's what Kashyyk already pointed out. In addition, your assumption that increasing the range on our lightning does nothing is foolish- you may well still outrange us, but at least now we don't have to get as close as before. You outrange us less. This makes it easier for us to shoot down your craft than before.
Right, that is true. I definitely would assume Moskurg should be winning by some degree if we didn't upgrade our Air Force with the expense change. And you can definitely fare better against individual Lightnings, but we do still ultimately outrange you while having greater top speeds.

I hope I could clarify things for everyone. I'll try not to respond to the same person more than once, to avoid argumentation.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36