Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 43872 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]
« Reply #435 on: September 16, 2017, 04:40:09 pm »

battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber.
*sarcastic clapping*

(But seriously, why would you spend a single action on something that wasn't explicitly designed for the defence of your capital? Our design and both revisions were created with city warfare in mind)

Anywaaay. That was a bloody great game. Mad props to evictedSaint, yeah?

E: Time to turn our collective attention to the people we all know are running Moskurg's pirate teletalk stations: the fuckin' Cannalans.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:41:41 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2017, 04:51:29 pm »

Man that's... Honestly I'm gonna go with nuke on this one; why would you develop a high-altitude bomber when your capital was under attack?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2017, 05:18:43 pm »

Because it was either that or howitzers, and I wanted to see if the bomber's technology would work. If anything relevant had any support at all then I would have been all over it...

The best part is that nobody was even slightly interested in giving the bomber any precision at all after burning an action on designing the thing. So, in short, not only did we make a high-altitude bomber, but we didn't even bother revising it to actually function...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2017, 06:33:47 pm »

Welp, GG. Never got to make Catgirl Assassins. Pity.

... nor did we ever get to go into space like we planned. We were going to make an "Oracle" craft that would orbitally bombard you.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 16, 2017, 06:35:44 pm »

IF I remember correctly, catgirls die the minute economic discussion starts. And there'd be plenty of that around :P

But seriously, you didn't even think to try to shore up your urban fighting abilities at all?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 16, 2017, 06:42:51 pm »

..can't you read the other thread now anyways?

The bomber only won by one vote. The other one was the HA2, which I and others voted for. The idea was to port some plug-n-play modernizations to the HA1 while further developing an automatic crystal ammunition fabricator. Then we'd port that thing to the rest of our guns, like the rifle, with our revisions.
Getting us automatic rifles for our infantry and much better artillery to defend our city with.

I think others voted for the bomber because it's cool? You'd have to ask them more directly.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 16, 2017, 07:20:41 pm »

Depending upon revisions is a bad plan. If I want small arms, then I design small arms. Also there was a theory that the city would be bombarded from orbit, and thus street fighting would be reliant upon the ability to preserve the existence of streets. There has been a pretty consistent trend of range + distance = win throughout the game, regardless of the actual damage output or resilience. So I don't think too poorly of folk focusing on long-ranged weapons when defending a city.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 16, 2017, 07:24:22 pm »

RAM.
No.
Let's not.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 16, 2017, 07:26:31 pm »

Regarding reading the other team's threads, I think we ought to wait until the final writeups are done. Other than that, RAM does have a point; better to rely on the design getting you what you want speficially than banking that a revision will be successful.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 16, 2017, 07:45:08 pm »

Again.
Let's not.

The game is over.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 17, 2017, 04:21:12 am »

I'd like to take a moment to appreciate that an Arms Race game has come to a proper conclusion, despite the clearly-evident salt. :)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 17, 2017, 04:28:47 am »

Well, to be fair at least they're just being salty about their own side, which is a first :P

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 17, 2017, 04:32:53 am »

which is a first
Just wait until you see the Arstotzkan thread!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 17, 2017, 04:52:40 am »

Infighting?  Never heard of such a thing.

Congrats on finishing, quite a lot of good work went into this game.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:58:26 am by Devastator »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 17, 2017, 06:41:11 pm »

Again.
Let's not.

The game is over.
which is a first
Just wait until you see the Arstotzkan thread!
If we are going to "just not" and expect to end it with that, then it would be best not to accuse people of being argumentative or angry. "just drop it" really doesn't leave any room at all for playing around the edges.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36