Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 43977 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread]
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2017, 04:38:33 pm »

Much better than the feeling you get knowing you could have saved those men if you paid their ransom.

Two whole Moskurger armies are captured and selectively ransomed or, when ransoms are not forthcoming, executed.

All Moskurger armies in the jungle are put to the sword.

Arstotzka gets its lost sailors back due to ransoms and Moskurger chivalry

:\

We can't exactly meet ransoms when they're "give us everything you own", and we especially can't meet them when they're not given.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:42:35 pm by evictedSaint »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2017, 05:50:36 pm »

Apparently, my plan to do the equivalent of nuking important Arstotskan cities with resources that we currently have available to us is "dishonorable".

I almost envy you Arstostkans; I bet that you don't have to deal with pesky moral codes.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2017, 06:14:44 pm »

Arstotzkan honor
??? Such a thing does not exist
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2017, 06:20:42 pm »

In Sensei's version of the game, he had a limited Espionage setup.  Would you be interested in allowing for espionage?

It would pretty much work alongside this system; the players in each thread would elect a player to be Spymaster, and then each turn that Spymaster would send me a Spy Order from a limited, pre-selected list for my own sanity.  There are real benefits to this, strategically, so it's up to you guys whether you want this.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2017, 06:22:30 pm »

Nah, way too much work to be honest. Besides you haven't addressed the plate armour issue :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2017, 06:28:30 pm »

There is no plate armor issue.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2017, 06:30:35 pm »

That'd be interesting!  I'd be willing to give spying a shot.  And if it becomes too much work or it's too cumbersome, we can always axe the idea.

Although I think it'd be better if spying gave a bonus to design rather than straight-up getting another spell - for example, successfully figuring out how they make fireballs would give us an advantage to designing our own fireball, rather than just giving us a copy of the spell.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2017, 06:32:40 pm »

There is actually, given that it is out of place timeline-wise (And fluff wise IC too :P) and balance-wise, given that that armour is not going to be easy to make on any account.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2017, 06:34:41 pm »

Ending the deeds of criminals feels so good. It is always sad when some rich savages get their baby savages back, but spreading civilisation across this long-suffering land is not cheap...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2017, 06:42:17 pm »

There is actually, given that it is out of place timeline-wise (And fluff wise IC too :P) and balance-wise, given that that armour is not going to be easy to make on any account.

There isn't actually. We spent a good deal of time working on it. It's legitimate, get over that. Not to meantion we have a bonus to all things metal, which is probably why you're so worried about it.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2017, 06:46:10 pm »

I would be ok with espionage
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2017, 06:49:08 pm »

There isn't actually. We spent a good deal of time working on it. It's legitimate, get over that. Not to meantion we have a bonus to all things metal, which is probably why you're so worried about it.
You'd still have an issue with just how much pieces of armour you're making. You'd need a LOT of armoursmiths just to even outfit the knights, much less a full third of the army in general.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2017, 06:52:31 pm »

Nah, way too much work to be honest. Besides you haven't addressed the plate armour issue :P

Multi-turn project, ended up being a bag of sixes.  Probably inaccurate for the 10th century, but handwaving it because the arrival of magic has instituted a paradigm shift in the way people think about warfare and preparation thereof, allowing plate armour to be a possibility and, more importantly, for me to run this game on a yearly cycle instead of a 10 year cycle.

You'd still have an issue with just how much pieces of armour you're making. You'd need a LOT of armoursmiths just to even outfit the knights, much less a full third of the army in general.

They have them.  No word as to the quality of the plate; it's revolutionary for 10th century, but the steel is likely thinner than 14th century plate and may or may not be comparable.  In either case, thematically it's a big step forward in armour production.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2017, 06:54:59 pm »

To be fair, we converted our entire army from shortbows to compound bows in one turn and wrecked shop.

That's basically what they did with their plate armor.  They're not invincible, they just got lucky the same way we did.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2017, 06:56:52 pm »

It's not the theory of the armour, breastplates have been around since ancient times, it's all the other fiddly bits, and the scale at which they're being manufactured that's the issue. Go no problem with it's efficacy, just it's ubiquity.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36