Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 43899 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]
« Reply #360 on: June 03, 2017, 05:35:43 pm »

You know, I kinda wish artillery was off limits. It being the main method of combat has kind of trivialized thr game in a way. Instead of making cool magical weapons, both sides are forced to find ways to either make their artillery better, or counter the enemy's. And, anything you design had better work on a massive scale, or it just isnt worthwhile.

eS, this is not a complaint on how you've run the game, this is just a bit of designers remorse. I really wish the game hadn't progressed into this.
Lucky Shot resulted in this happening.

Getting inside bow range is suicide because no matter how well defended you are, Lucky Shot will always ensure that if there's any kind of opening, a Moskurg archer will succeed in exploiting it. Their archers could and did kill our archers, our plate-armoured infantry, our cavalry, and our wizards. It was extremely effective. Effort had to go into designs which would work outside of bow range and that meant artillery.

They ended up getting their own Lucky Shot-boosted artillery, but we could at least compete with higher rate of fire, as opposed to bow range where we couldn't compete at all.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 05, 2017, 12:18:00 pm »

I take a couple month hiatus from Bay12 and it seems the more things change the more they stay the same. The next Magic Arms Race that happens I will advocate for literally nothing except salt based magics because the resource is in abundance.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 07, 2017, 02:47:57 pm »

As designer of the Arstotzka emblem, I have to say I pity Moskurg troops looking for inspiration and, at best, only being able to look at a picture of some swirly wind. Whereas ours reminds our troops of glorious Arstotzkan engineering.

Spoiler: spoilered for size (click to show/hide)

Glory to Arstotzka!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:55:07 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 13, 2017, 03:32:07 am »

Moskurg seems to be going the traditional wizard route with faith thrown in, while Arstotzka is going the magitek route guided by science. It didn't start this distinct, it just sort of evolved that way, which I think is pretty neat. It's really fitting how the two sides differentiated so radically in magical evolution and it's made the two sides very distinct, moreso even than they were in Arms Race.

GM, what are your thoughts on the magical evolution of the two nations?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 15, 2017, 08:35:07 am »

Gotta love how the Arstotzkans treat their prince, no better than a menial servant. Powering the boiler on a train? You call that education? Here in Moskurg we treat our beloved princess with the care and respect she deserves.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 15, 2017, 08:37:18 am »

Yeah, I'm surprised you got the credit at all. Was the princely battery worth that revision credit?

(Sometime there's gotta be a succession crisis. You guys will probably lose, since your prince can't read minds, deflect arrows, or shoot lightning at his attackers. HAVE !!FUN!!!)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 15, 2017, 09:20:28 am »

Hey don't complain, we both got revision credits and for that we should be... well somewhat happy regardless :P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:32:21 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 15, 2017, 09:31:12 am »

i dunno i might join Arstotzka
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 15, 2017, 10:07:45 am »

Moskurg Discord

Feel free for all to join, but only True Moskurg will gain access to more than the initial channel, unless eS takes over.

Edit: Link should work now
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:23:58 am by somemildmanneredidiot »
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 15, 2017, 11:50:11 am »

Wands Race now has a discord!

To join, you need to post in the Deployment Zone with your preferred side.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 15, 2017, 02:31:23 pm »

Bah, humbug! To truly be a master of magic, one must know what it's like to be a mage, including what it's like to work hard. You bloody well coddled your princess, we certainly didn't.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 17, 2017, 02:32:07 pm »

How does adamantium's immunity to thermal energy work? Does it cool down/heat up to reach its optimum temperature when that temperature is changed or is it straight up 'temperature absolutely cannot be altered'?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 17, 2017, 02:50:31 pm »

I honestly have no idea. All I understand is the metal has a fixed temperature.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 17, 2017, 03:10:56 pm »

How does adamantium's immunity to thermal energy work? Does it cool down/heat up to reach its optimum temperature when that temperature is changed or is it straight up 'temperature absolutely cannot be altered'?

This unfortunately falls under the 'state secrets' category for reasons that'll become evident soon enough.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28:29 am »

So... feedback.

I liked it better when you didn't say what was designed at the very beginning of the update, instead placing information about what we encountered throughout the update.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36