Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36

Author Topic: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]  (Read 43898 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race: Magic in Forenia [Core Thread] [EvictedSaint's Run]
« Reply #345 on: May 13, 2017, 02:37:56 am »

I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm saying that should expect obvious criticism to be taken as obvious criticism, even if you put a disclaimer ("not obvious criticism") on it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:53:47 am by 10ebbor10 »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 13, 2017, 07:01:22 am »

I'm gonna have to agree with ebbor on this one. Whatever you may have intended, that's what it looked like.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 28, 2017, 11:25:18 pm »

2. Keep in mind that I am not a historian, so there will sometimes be mistakes and inaccuracies. Even in the best of circumstances, minor inconsistencies are a common occurrence. If some piece of equipment is imbalanced/unrealistic, I might consider changing it if you bring it up once -AND ONLY ONCE- and politely state your argument. However, I will err on the side of consistency with my own game, I do not like to go back and change things. Sometimes it is more important to simply keep the game running smoothly than other concerns.
Moskurg's new wood seems overpowered. It's tough enough to survive "all but the most close-range, carefully-aimed shots from [our] powerful steam cannons" on top of making their ships go faster. They got this in a single turn with no experience in magic woodwork prior, with the only bonus being from the Jungle wood.

Meanwhile, we've developed our crystals over multiple turns, only solved the issue of it disappearing last turn, have had the ore bonus from the Mountains for several turns of its development, and we started out with Conjuration magic.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 28, 2017, 11:37:40 pm »

Thank you for bringing this up, Andres.

Give me some time to think it over, please.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 29, 2017, 12:05:25 am »

Two turns ago Moskurg spent the design developing their own magical material (glowing white Adamantium metal).  Then they spent the revision making it not-suck.  The previous turn they spent the design to make their current ships out of the jungle wood and new metal, and then spent the revision making the metal not-suck even more. 

The wood provides a tiny boost to defense, and a decent boost to speed.  The metal provides a boost to survivability. Their ships are still windpowered, and they still use their ballistas for offense.  They've done nothing in two turns that you couldn't do in a single turn.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 29, 2017, 12:32:25 am »

We have been putting off making a new ship for like 5 turns and scrapping by on revisions.  Obviously they can get a new ship out quickly with bonus wood and some designs.  That is why we were trying to take back the jungle but worked on REDACTED projects instead which are, like, good but have not helped us push the jungle.

This does continue to show that while asymmetrical information is a great feature of the game, too little information can lead to misunderstandings.  Not sure how to fix that, but it is not evictedSaint's fault.

In peaceful magic related discovery news the first prototype Arstotzkan greenhouse has been built and it promises to herald a new age of peaceful uses of magic.  No longer will cold, or even heat, damage crops and create famine.  Reports that the first visitors were trapped inside and eaten by the crops are complete falsehoods from enemy spies who want people to starve.  Funding has been discontinued for reasons related to the war, and not man eating plants currently plotting to break out and overwhelm the capital.  I can't stress enough that the monstrous plants are a fabrication.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 29, 2017, 12:58:56 am »

The [REDACTED] projects are actually going quite nicely, in fact. It's all according to my master plan. The [REDACTED] shall blot out the [REDACTED]!

Also of note is another announcement that the monstrous plants most certainly do not exist and have not allied with stray falcons. Any "news" of this has been greatly exaggerated. In completely unrelated news, citizens are advised to not go outside without a military-grade crystal umbrella. It's just hailing today. That's all. No stray falcons trying to attack people.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:02:33 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 29, 2017, 02:45:37 am »

Glory to Arstotzka!

I have just joined, and am definitely not being used as bait to lure vampiric squash away from our front lines.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2017, 11:05:03 pm »

Arstotzkan ministry of truth as hard at work as ever, I see.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 03, 2017, 09:42:14 am »

You know, I kinda wish artillery was off limits. It being the main method of combat has kind of trivialized thr game in a way. Instead of making cool magical weapons, both sides are forced to find ways to either make their artillery better, or counter the enemy's. And, anything you design had better work on a massive scale, or it just isnt worthwhile.

eS, this is not a complaint on how you've run the game, this is just a bit of designers remorse. I really wish the game hadn't progressed into this.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 03, 2017, 09:49:21 am »

What, no. This is cool. Artillery battles are great. We just need to revolutionise warfare again somehow.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 03, 2017, 09:55:08 am »

The artillery war has really made everything else pointless.

It's annoying.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 03, 2017, 10:33:44 am »

Personally, I like the new direction of the game. flying carpet raids, armored ships, magic artillery.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 03, 2017, 01:00:09 pm »

Artillery is just the same as any other avenue of war. And we happen to be dominating in it.
How's it any different than infantry fighting? If you were completely crushing us in every infantry engagement we would be losing heavily. Except you have other options, like air, infantry, and more.

I've had plenty of fun with artillery. Just knowing that we organically turned the game from standard fantasy battles into a fantasy WW1 is awesome.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:16:28 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 03, 2017, 02:14:37 pm »

It is quite satisfying to see the evolution of warfare in this way. Once armored vehicles of some kind hit the field, we'll have more than artillery to think about. I'm just hoping we beat Arstotzka to it :P
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36