Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233233 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 18 - Under the Skin
« Reply #2310 on: May 31, 2018, 06:49:24 pm »

I will be bloodbinding with Workstone and Etherstone, and will be upgrading my Phasestrike javelin if possible.

Definitely possible!

I will use it to heal someone later. The reason I wanted it was to enhance the healknife.

Oh ho ho, I hadn't thought of how one might upgrade the healknife!  A quick reminder: this item is "healing roulette" . . . or "stupidity roulette."

Spoiler: Item description (click to show/hide)

So the "good" results now restore health, but you can still roll a "Fail terribly" or "Fail by succeeding" and cause more damage.  This is a keep-the-player-from-breaking-the-game measure.  By improving it, you will tilt the roulette a bit more in your favor.  Enough to break the game?  We'll find out!

But there is still the question of what to do with the boost from the healthstone bloodbinding.  This boost will happen no matter what, Dustan, since it's part of the initial ritual.  You can choose manually to do it again later, but Tohil (randomgenericusername) here has correctly identified that somebody's gotta getta boost:

((If no one else wants it, I would like the permanent inventory increase as I have been with an almost full bag for a long time. Depending on the result of the action of this turn, Tohil might also take a glowstone bloodbinding.))

. . . So I'll give it to Tohil unless I hear otherwise.  (Also, as it seems there's no contestation, I'll do the math around an ember tunic or roaring axe and get back to you.)

I haven't noticed anybody going for Bindstone binding (tell me if I'm wrong), yet that really isn't my 'thing' to try. (Actually, Healthstone might be more my thing than Etherstone, but I'm not currently in a position to splurge on bindings that copy others, like Dustan). The Etherstone thing sounded like a Last Resort skill that maybe someone could welcome my bringing to the party when the chips are down.

Correct, no one has chosen bindstone.  If you don't feel like crafting magical items, you don't have to.  (The idea is that you could either try to emulate known items or you could make stuff up and I'd see if I could fit it into the game.  The latter has the potential either to be fun or be a massive headache.  I'm fine if you don't use it!)

And yes, etherstone is your "Get Out of Jail Free" card.  It's also a reminder that z-levels exist, since you could levitate.  If ultimately you decide against, there will be more opportunities later.

. . . Almost ready to start writing the update.  I'll just see if anyone replies to these tidbits.

Edit:

((Question: Can we barter or do quests for the merchants in exchange for a lower price for a specific piece of gear?))

The quests are all plot-related and I have a discrete list of steps from here to the end of the game.  However, these quests all connect to the players.  It's remarkable how good a job John (ziizo) has been doing of triggering everything; I may be shoehorning things in, but you folks have to take the bait.

So if you want cheaper gear, I may-or-may-not already have a plan and you just need to take the bait.  Regardless, remember how sometimes I give out bonuses when you do local work in Rock Bottom?  You can always tell me what you want and then try to make nice by working for a relevant merchant/craftsperson; a good roll could give you a discount.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:03:53 pm by Sir Knight »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: May 31, 2018, 07:58:17 pm »

Now, the most important question:

Does the axe emits light and glows in the dark? Tohil is afaird of the dark and hates it, so being unable to hold a lantern because he's two-handing the axe means he will stick to anyone holding one.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:19 pm »

I want to improve it mainly so I can use it as a utility to heal other people with, so yeah. This is exactly what I expected. If other people think boosting carry weight is better, then sure. Do it. I don't mind.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: June 01, 2018, 10:35:33 pm »

Now, the most important question:

Does the axe emits light and glows in the dark? Tohil is afaird of the dark and hates it, so being unable to hold a lantern because he's two-handing the axe means he will stick to anyone holding one.

I'll be glad to narrate it, but it's a dull glow that becomes brighter when in motion or upon impact.  (As an aside: outside of use in magical items, raw glowstone doesn't actually glow unless it's being burned.  Then in magical items you get all sorts of weird effects.  'Cause it's magic.)  So it's like all those real-world glowy things that you hope are gonna be bright enough to let you read something at night, but aren't.

Would holding a glow-in-the-dark axe be enough comfort?  Because I've determined that you can purchase a roaring axe with just a little of the help offered by Alyssa (Rautherdir), but even with all that help you couldn't get an ember tunic.  At least without picking up a little more cash.  Like, oh, from an adventure hook I set out there, blatant as can be.  (You can turn objects into credit for now if you'd like.)

Back when I can!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: June 01, 2018, 10:51:03 pm »

Alright, thanks for the answers. I'll also see if I can get enough spare cash to sell my old hydra robe and get an undamaged one later.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: June 02, 2018, 10:07:17 am »

We can sell the remains of the Hydra and then bring the wheelbarrow with us to the Salt mine.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: June 02, 2018, 10:41:43 am »

I think if there's anything we're not selling, we should leave it in the lockboxes. There also are some etherstone bars there.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: June 02, 2018, 11:38:45 am »

(Nobody has yet said I shouldn't bind with my etherstone bars. Unless anyone argues, I'm doing that.)

There's really not much I would currently think I ought to claim with my current saleables (bars excepted), but I was going to look at that more seriously when I thought we were in Retail Mode proper. If you can reserve me ?7? opal for a Seeker Skull (to replace the one thrown and lost) and someone consider a Stonsight candle (20 opal) and some additional Splitters, if the group thinks they might want to go digging at some point when we're not mid-adventure, I'll obviously add in my sharing-the-load stack of Hydra leather and everything 'loose' but the spare waterskin into the communal pot (edit: 33.5 opal, by my reckoning). As I'm sure Sir Knight is already roughly accounting for.

Anything else that I would consider an upgrade appears that it will strain our combined expenses while others go for their desired items, so don't worry too much about me on that front. Just try to empty those barrows and backpacks of everything not consumable/usable before we had out again, 'and then try to avoid filling them up again on the first encounter outbound, while we still have plenty of potential future loot to snag. Unless the first thing we snag is a new/refound barrow or two, of course.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:41:22 am by Starver »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: June 03, 2018, 07:06:11 am »

We can sell the remains of the Hydra and then bring the wheelbarrow with us to the Salt mine.
I think if there's anything we're not selling, we should leave it in the lockboxes. There also are some etherstone bars there.
There's really not much I would currently think I ought to claim with my current saleables (bars excepted), but I was going to look at that more seriously when I thought we were in Retail Mode proper. If you can reserve me ?7? opal for a Seeker Skull (to replace the one thrown and lost) and someone consider a Stonsight candle (20 opal) and some additional Splitters, if the group thinks they might want to go digging at some point when we're not mid-adventure, I'll obviously add in my sharing-the-load stack of Hydra leather and everything 'loose' but the spare waterskin into the communal pot (edit: 33.5 opal, by my reckoning). As I'm sure Sir Knight is already roughly accounting for.

I did the money-math.  (And I'm about halfway through writing the update.)

Tohil (randomgenericusername): You can afford a roaring axe if you spend almost all of the unclaimed loot.  "Claimed," of course, includes things that other players are either selling or using for bloodbinding.  You'd need to utilize the remainder of goodies in the wheelbarrows, then most of Alyssa (Rautherdir)'s offer, then most of Dwain (Starver)'s offer.  (The ember tunic is out of reach right now.)

Rautherdir: you'd keep the iron mace after this exchange.

Starver: after buying one seeker skull, you'd have 4 kg of opal left (and the waterskin you mentioned).  Note that the stonesight candle is only good if you also buy the sightstaff for 50.

However, randomgenericusername, you cannot afford a replacement rock hydra leather tunic, even with selling your old one and getting the cash from that mace.  The nearest sources of other money are Gary (Coolrune206), who's wandering off and doesn't have enough money anyway, and John (ziizo), who could definitely afford to finish your purchase but falls into the category of "explicitly told me he's cashing in on this stuff, and so might want to put it in the bank or something."

So ziizo might agree to help.  Or he might want to pool funds with Rautherdir (selling the iron mace) and buy a sightstaff/stonesight candle combo.  Or he might disagree with all of that and prefer to buy splitter wands, or pool with Starver and get another soulshine lantern, etc., etc., and you could just go with purchases so far stated and hold off on the rest until the next influx of loot.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: June 03, 2018, 07:55:11 am »

I see. Also, as a quick reminder, Tohil still has Alyssa's fine sword. Just waiting for her to ask for it before returning it.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: June 03, 2018, 08:55:57 am »

I am fine with giving my opal to Tohil party survival and all that.

I was going to just to store it in the lockbox anyway.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: June 03, 2018, 01:30:50 pm »

Previous -- Next

(Let's see, let's see . . . things always take so long when you're in town . . . )

What time is it?  Early afternoon?  On a day like this?  Gary heads in the direction of the nearest tavern.  You saw one along the way from the edge of Rock Bottom; after a brief stop to get spending money, and a dubious look from a tavernkeeper (what time is it?), you're ready to drop 5 kg of opal on whatever they call ale, food, and merriment down here.  With more to spare!

Spoiler: Carousing commentary (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, in religion land, Tohil (and, for that matter, Dwain) show uncertainty.  Tohil asks Titan about his faith of the sun, while Europa goes over arrangements of bloodbinding for Dustan, John, and Alyssa.

Spoiler: Chance! (click to show/hide)

"Why yes," he says, "we have met one or two who worshipped the sun.  Sadly, I cannot say for sure whether they worshipped in the same manner as you; though we strive to provide space for all faiths, we are dependent on educated practitioners to assist one another, and followers of the sun have not lasted in the depths.

"Most people leave the surface behind.  The most recent sun-worshipper did just so; he decided that 'nature' was what mattered to him, not specifically 'the sun,' and converted to a faith of the underground that suited his needs.  He may have been lost to the ordinary perils of the mines by now.  And the others before him . . . did not survive that long."

You step out of the temple to think on this.  Shortly, other people also head out for a moment to shop before the bloodbinding, so you work together to equip yourself for coming challenges.  This involves nigh-emptying the wheelbarrows and cashing in on the letter of credit for the bank--that piece of parchment sealed with a teal-colored wax you had never seen before.

Dwain inspects the holy symbols ("" and the like).  They appear to be colored or painted pieces of iron, just like the "" you pried off the wall at the Hoarding Wastrel Camp.  People worship this stuff?  To get magic?

Eventually you join the returning crew in finding out.

. . . Dustan, then the sparring/dueling partner.

. . . The sparring/dueling partner, then John.

. . . Alyssa Alpine, then the sparring/dueling partner.

Spoiler: To first blood! (click to show/hide)

Four participants, one witness, and a smattering of priests.  Three pieces of workstone, one healthstone, one glowstone, and two sets of etherstone bars.  The mathematics of power.

It appears that each type of mineral is treated differently; for healthstone, a priest strikes pieces from the raw ore and has you warm them against your neck; for glowstone, a priest heats the underside of the ore nearly to the ignition point and has you lay your hands on top.  The whole while there is mumbo-jumbo philosophy recitation about "this is the force that enables life" or "feel the energy that lights the dark" or blah blah blah make with the magic already.

In the haze of religious incense (disclaimer: cavereed with some other stuff tossed in), Tohil almost misses the point where the minerals drop out of sight.  The participants certainly do; you've become faint somewhere in all the mumbling.  But there they go; the minerals are vanishing in hand!

The newly-bloodbound feel weak, and the priests pull you to your feet to unleash your new ability.  Alyssa and Dwain simultaneously go blurry; you feel light as the air!  With thought, you ascend through the ceiling of the temple chamber itself, kicking off again as you reach a new floor, and take a seat on the rooftop.  Rock Bottom opens up before you.

Dustan feels a lifeforce pour out from your core and into your hands, a nourishing power.  You deliver it to Tohil, the bystander, and in turn he feels new bodily strength!

And John just lets loose with a gout of firebreath.  So.  You know.

But you're not done; all but Dwain go back for a second ritual with workstone.  A quirk of this one is a ceremonial duel with a priest, using whichever equipment piece you wish to improve with your newfound understanding of "the ways of the metal."  Your partners are, well, heavily protected in workstone chain mail, but politely they bring nothing more than an iron knife against you.

Dustan handily wins the duel, despite bringing a healknife to a fight, as your technique manages to turn your opponent's own knife against him.  John strikes a good blow with an iron pick; your opponent has to stop and receive healing.  Alyssa pegs that phasestrike javelin before your opponent can react, drawing blood.  And all three of you feel your weapon as an extension of your will, growing in "dexterity" just as you would, with the practice.  Nice.

Europa and Titan seem . . . "pleased," or at least as pleased as they ever were, and apparently they will let you come back and do this again, should you wish.

Ding!

You completed an adventure: VIAL MACHINATIONS!  All survivors gain +3 to current and maximum HP.

So I've moved this entry from "in progress" to "complete" and adjusted everyone's statistics:

Spoiler: Adventures complete (click to show/hide)

John (ziizo) and Tohil (randomgenericusername): I also sold items as stated and obtained a roaring axe and replacement rock hydra leather tunic.  Ta da!  This involved selling the iron mace from Alyssa, plus a spare iron pick that John had in his backpack.  I returned the fine sword to Alyssa for reasons of melee.  John now has 23 opal left, Gary (Coolrune206) has 16 (or 11 or less if you start drinking), Dwain (Starver) has 4, Dustan and Alyssa kept their glowstone, and everything else has been sold and spent.

If anyone needed a leftover mineral, I could reach back through time and balance it against some of John's cash.

Next?

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: June 03, 2018, 02:09:48 pm »

"Kinda hoped it was going to be some kind of cool tatoo magic, If anyone is interested I am going to buy some food and then to the bank before going to help with the problem in the salt mines"

If nobody needs material (or if they need but my money is still enough) Sell my unwise candle and antivenin to buy as much food as possible then refill the water keg.
Then search for the Cornu family Lockbox key and store my spare Opal in the process.
These will be all my preparations for the Salt family quest
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:48:03 pm by ziizo »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: June 03, 2018, 02:45:38 pm »

...You step out of the temple to think on this...

((During that moment where Tohil is sitting out of the temple, at the entrance.))

Tohil didn't manage to find a satisfactory answer to his faith problems. Somehow, while still on a group of fellow exiles in the middle of the underground capital, he felt alone. As if the Sun has abandoned him. He looks up to the celling, to the source of light of this strange place.

Is that truly the light of the Sun? What if this was all just a lie, an illusion?

"...Why? Have I done this all, for nothing? What now, what should I do…?"

He sits down for a moment, trying to meditate and find internal peace. He tries to find a resolution to this internal conflict.

((Back at the present))

Tohil remembers there was a group of swordmen that asked for their help to deal with some underground mosters. He decides to prepare to follow them, maybe helping and fighting along others will help him deal with his own internal problems.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: June 03, 2018, 05:49:09 pm »

Changed my action from obtain medicine to obtain food.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 173