Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233188 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 18 - Under the Skin
« Reply #2280 on: April 03, 2018, 06:36:52 pm »

"I think I might need to consult with my god about this "bloodbinding". I don't know if Sol could consider it heretic and punish me."
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 03, 2018, 07:50:55 pm »

"I think I might need to consult with my god about this "bloodbinding". I don't know if Sol could consider it heretic and punish me."

(He he.)

So I may be able to assume that Gary (Coolrune206) just keeps on track to the nearby water, but I'll wait a bit to see if recent information changes anything.  Coolrune206: if you don't provide an updated action, I'll nonetheless interrupt you when the group moves off to handle quest completion in the next update.  Or quest continuation.  Whichever.

Back tomorrow!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: April 03, 2018, 07:53:12 pm »

Gary is doing his water-thingy.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: April 03, 2018, 09:09:22 pm »

follow John, let him get the picture and vial deals sorted out, maybe observe the bloodbinding taught to the others And try to learn it myself if it is used for healing. After that, Go sell some hearthstone, attempt to get a healing (with any offered funding assistance) and get a job as a temporary healer, in that order.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 04, 2018, 03:18:58 pm »

(Okay, I'm finally preparing the massive-update-with-all-things, including figuring out how much money you'll have.  And I'm about to attend a real-world convention.  I may be away for awhile, you know?)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:39 pm »

(So . . . I just got back from the convention, and I'm about to do some travel, and then pack up for moving house.  (And then move.)  I guess this is a pretty good place for a pause, seeing as I have a "massive-update-with-all-things" coming that would be annoying to toss out without any follow-up interaction.)

(This means that either I'm not going to post for this month entirely, or I'll be back for a little posting in a week or two and then have another similar break at the end of the month.  Something like that.  Conveniently, for whenever I next update, I'll also have a plot summary to post.)

(Ahh, the effort we put in for our entertainment.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: April 10, 2018, 01:50:12 am »

(For my part, that's reasonable.)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 29, 2018, 08:38:41 pm »

Well!  Moving!

You know how your life is in total upheaval right after you move house, and there's basically no way you can get anything else done?  Yeah, that.

Boxes.  Bags.  New sleeping space.  New grocery patterns.  Details that I really need not impress upon you, 'cause, well, if you've ever moved, you know this.  Per the last paragraph.

So I'm focused on making things sane (sane-er) right now.  Just checking in to affirm I exist and still have plenty of game stuff to share later when it all makes sense again.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: April 29, 2018, 10:01:06 pm »

I wish you a swift and efficient move, Knight! Hopefully you capture a rook and put the king in checkmate.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: April 30, 2018, 04:33:08 am »

Remember that displacement across space is accompanied by displacement across time, though the precise relationship between the two will depend upon the frame of reference under Relativity.

(Have fun. Or not so much trouble. Whichever is the easiest to aspire to.)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 29, 2018, 09:52:23 pm »

Previous -- Next

I'm back!  So, how many of you people are still around?  I'll gladly wait and see; especially since this return-update will be . . . a lot to read.

At long last I get to explain the thread's newest subtitle.  And, at longer last, I get to blast off with one of the underlying game ideas/themes I've held with a burning fuse this whole time.

It's gonna be a text explosion.

I will now attempt the rare and highly dangerous TRIPLE POST, as I'm saying "to heck with it" and hitting you with all the info I previously had planned to drag out, e.g., after you had parted ways with Elena the prospector:

First update is on plot.

Second update is on money.

Third update is on magic.

After you read, feel free to reach through time and space to talk to everybody you meet along the way.  They're not hard to find.

Dustan is aghast at the idea of a city full of ugly mugs, and you and Tohil have some words about the perils of aggrieving an armed human (-oid) civilization, along with the unknown merits of their "treasures."  Elena nods along, but her eyes are going distant in thought.

John, among others, pushes to get the group going.  You feel that unless bloodbinding can help, you're not going on any hunt to "the heart of the Ugly Metropolis."  Dwain thinks it would be good to get another wheelbarrow before even considering some treasure hunt.

"Can't do that in Rock Bottom," Elena interrupts.  "They don't sell them here.  But prospectors do."

She gestures to the wheelbarrow she traded fair and square.

"I'll level with you, though.  The point of prospecting is to make money off of any pickings in the mine, and new exiles are easy pickings.  Wheelbarrows?  Now that I have yours, normally I'd sell it back to you for twice what it's worth, maybe more.  But not only do you look like the sort of people who can't spare the cash, I get the feeling you can manage something better.

"So I'll tell you what.  How about you help me dispel the rumors?  If people keep on angering the ugly mugs then it's only going to get bad.  But reports on the Ugly Metropolis all agree there's a large, obvious building in the middle that doesn't look like the mugs made it themselves.  I'm not asking you to rob it, not with all those adventurers setting them on alert by trying the same thing; just get a good angle on it so you can see what the building is."

She nods at John.  "It's possible bloodbinding could help you there, if you use etherstone.  Then if you can get a sign that the building isn't a treasury, maybe we can do something.  Start a counter-rumor, whatever."  She snorts.  "For all we know it's a crematorium, or a granary, or a public bathhouse.  That information is easily worth a wheelbarrow.  In fact . . . "

She seems thoughtful again.  "Though it might take a little more work, I've got an idea that would get your hands on a whole lot of surface goods--blankets, you name it.  Just find me if you make the journey there and back and we'll talk business."

Elena lets you think on that, and gestures to get a move on so she can lead you and your load of glassware to her parents, the alchemists.

That means scooping up Gary from his place near the water just inside town.  And what's this?  Who are all these swordspeople?

"Ho there!" calls a widely-beaming man from their midst.  The more veteran among you recognize the representative of the Salt family for whom you worked before--work involving ugly mugs.  John, additionally, found local employment hauling rock salt for this man, name of Solde.

"The Salt family could always use more able hands!" says Solde.  "We're having a bother with monsters overrunning our valued mining operation, and the call is out to all swords to retake it.  Provisions are on us and the pay is all the salable animal remains you can carry.  Catch us in the next hour or so and we can go together; bring empty wheelbarrows and the pickings are sure to be good!"

He's really, uh, selling this.  Seems a lot of people want you to risk your neck for them today.

. . . That's update one.  Plus!  I'm doing the massive first-post update now.  Here's a snapshot of the "found quests" entry:

(Now to do a scene change and make update two of three . . . )

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 29, 2018, 09:56:29 pm »

Previous -- Next

Update two of three.  I list everyone's salable inventory below, but I'm assuming that Louis (dustywayfarer) wanders off after this to be retired from active play.  (Then I just need to kill two more of you to let in the next batch of waitlisters . . . )

As you go, some among you note the locations of merchant stalls so you may sell your goods efficiently.  You have those fragrant rock hydra bones, after all.  And of course your other wheelbarrow has some other carcasses, and . . . what's this?!  There's a horrifying mass of unidentified meat at the bottom!  It looks like it's rotten into dry lumps by now, completely unusable.  How could it possibly have gone unnoticed this long?  Who put it there?  What was it?

Elena leads you to her parents' place of work by the outdistricts.  This is in the northeastern end of Rock Bottom, where the most bitter batch of miners you've ever seen is at work carving out new homes, piece after piece, visit after visit.  Tikhomir and Militsa are fortunate, being from established families, and they greet you in their rebuilt alchemy lab.  Alyssa itemizes the retrieved glass goods; one taken out of your inventory, three from Dwain's, seven in a wheelbarrow.  And John has one still filled with its bizarre potion; this "vile vial."

They are thrilled.  "You got their magic!" exclaims Tikhomir.  "That's fantastic; I can't wait to see what bubbles out of this thing!  We need to reimburse you for that . . . "

"More minerals?" suggests Militsa.  "They'll want it for the bloodbinding."

"Quite right, quite right."  The two of them fiddle for a bit, bringing out a pile of rough stones and metal bars.  "Typically raw materials like this aren't for sale from Rock Bottom merchants, just sold to us," he explains, "but obviously you're a special case.  They'll do for bloodbinding whether smelted or not, but bars are more cash per weight if you wind up banking them."

"Now!" says Militsa with a clap of finality.  "In thanks for all this prime glassware, how about we bring you to Theia and convince them to drop their bloodbinding fees?  You seem like people who could use a little magic."

On your way over, the group vaguely scatters to get some information on pricing and new goods for sale.  Sounds like you'll need to keep certain minerals, though . . .

Totals (including things from lockboxes):

Dustan (Dustan Hache): 56 opal
John (ziizo): 60.5 opal
Alyssa Alpine (Rautherdir): 40.5 opal
Dwain (Starver): 44.5 opal
Gary (Coolrune206): 16 opal
Louis (dustywayfarer): 5 opal
Tohil (randomgenericusername): 60 opal
The second group's wheelbarrow: 224 opal (that includes the existing letter of credit for 90 opal)
The third group's wheelbarrow: 150 opal
Minerals received from the alchemists: 105 opal

Do you want to sell something I didn't list, like your old weapons or armor?  As usual for an RPG, you'll get half of the buying price.  See the first posts for the "known equipment" lists: you sell minerals for the prices listed, but must sell used equipment at only half price listed.

And remember how I said you need to sell them raw rock hydra ingredients in order to buy rock hydra-based goods?  Here's a list of items based on rock hydra, bindstone (a new mineral for you), and healthstone (I don't think you've actually sold it here before).  The "sightstaff" is included below because you unlocked its special "sight candles," and the latter are unusable without the former.

If you sell any of the glowstone, workstone or etherstone given to you by the alchemists, or your ant lemming carcasses, you can look up the "known equipment" at the link.  The more common materials including opal, scaled turkey, and standing jellyfish don't unlock anything by themselves.

Spoiler: Special equipment (click to show/hide)

Here are some expensive higher-quality items available on this visit:

If you want to take up Solde's quest/adventure/peril offer from the last update, where he suggested bringing empty wheelbarrows, I'm gonna be nice and let you blur the lines on selling goods.  Remember there are letters of credit now?  Not to mention lockboxes at the bank for each of you.  So just tell me what you cash in, and, if you do something like sell the rock hydra bones now, then you can buy rock hydra-based goods either before or after your involvement in the salt mine quest.  Let's keep things simple.

( . . . Though now I still need to do the third post!)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 29, 2018, 10:09:29 pm »

((Also, before we sell any ores, bloodbinding apparently uses them. I would first like to get details on it before we start buying and selling equipment and materials.))
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 29, 2018, 10:17:25 pm »

Previous -- Next

Finally!  Once you've reacted to this update, I'll put up an "adventure complete" notice for having learned the secrets of bloodbinding.  That'll give you all +3 to current and maximum HP!

So . . . why am I telling you now but not actually giving it to you?

You're about to bump into a previously-undocumented rule: you can never raise your max HP by more than double.  You all started at 10 and cannot go above 20.  Dustan (Dustan Hache) is currently at 18 while John (ziizo) is at 19.  What next?

Next you learn the secrets of bloodbinding, that's what.

After various distractions and side conversations, you arrive at the home/temple of several prominent members of the Theia family.  A carved stone building like all the others, but rather a large one.  Dwain has been here before; you did bookkeeping work wherein you saw that the fees for this "bloodbinding" thing are high.  Good thing you have friends, now.

(I don't intend to draw maps for everything in Rock Bottom.  I have the home of the alchemists up above because the players got in combat near there, but the temple doesn't need that.  Yet.)

You find Europa and Titan in the main temple hall, where a handful of locals pray before images imitating the religions of the world above and certain other forms you don't recognize offhand.  They are welcoming newcomers to the fold, flock, community, kinhood, or solitary order of their choice.  "If the latter is your preference, monastic cells are available for immediate exclusion on the floor above."

Tikhomir and Militsa wait politely, and, when the heads of the house sweep over to you, they explain the good service you did in saving their alchemy lab and dealing a crippling blow to the hoarding wastrels at the Hoarding Wastrel Camp.

"Splendid," responds Europa--more a statement than an exclamation.  "There are many forces in this underworld, and we struggle here to keep the benevolent ones in positions of dominion.  Every advance we make, the hoarding wastrels seek to corrupt.  Their faith is one of pure darkness."

Titan directs you to the unfamiliar holy symbols.  A brown ""; a teal ""; an orange ""; it goes on.  "Our society survives because of the bounty of the underworld's minerals; indeed, many thrive on healthstone alone.  There are lessons to be learned within them; a philosophy of life.  With years of study you may draw upon their powers, but in gratitude for your good service, we can offer you bloodbinding."

Spoiler: Psst (click to show/hide)

Titan continues.  "With bloodbinding, we ingrain the essence of the mineral into your body; under the skin; inside the blood.  Then, whenever you wish to invoke its power, you may wake the mineral with the tiniest fraction of your strength, and it will grant you a new strength unlike any you have known before."

"Bring us your minerals," concludes Europa, "and we will make you as one with the underworld."

. . . Here are rules!

Bloodbinding, the shortcut to magical power, involves sacrificing a point of your maximum HP to develop a connection to one of the underground's minerals.  First you choose a mineral, like one of those 2 kg units of etherstone (either rough stones or metal bars).  The ritual performed in the temple consumes whatever mineral you choose and activates your power--which, you will see, may be more or less useful when outside of combat like this (healthstone is a good one).

When adventuring, you may activate a power again by expending 1 more max HP.  Benefits are sometimes permanent, sometimes they last for a whole time period (morning, afternoon, or evening).  Careful use of bloodbinding expands your opportunities for turning the tide of battle (glowstone could win a fight scene for you), and, for that matter, making money.

A player may bloodbind with the whole rainbow of weird fantasy minerals (no, mundane things like opal do not work) if willing to give up enough HP.  A player may also bloodbind again with the same mineral four times (for a total of five).  Workstone is the exception (see next).

I'm updating the "minerals" list with your possible benefits:

Obviously, you'll want to limit your expenditures based on your max HP "income."  Looking back to the "adventures complete" list in the opening posts, you'll see I've given from +1 to +3 for completing these things.  And I just conveniently listed further adventures for you to earn more.

I also trust you will note how I have been pushing for months to get soulshine lanterns into your hands.  Dead high-level traveling companions are max HP piñatas.  (With that in mind, I've upgraded them from siphoning 1/2 of the dead person's level-up HP to all of the HP from now on.)

And because some of you will be wondering:

Lastly, I have updated the following in my massive first-post update extravaganza:

"Rolls and rules" -- now with bonus section for "Way more detail on those rules"!

"Known equipment"

"Minerals"

"Bestiary"

"Known maps" -- the recent underground river ambush is not included as it was a random map and you saw so little memorable content

I've added "Current events," as stated

And the big one . . . I've added "The Story So Far"!  Here is a snapshot so you all can see where we stand:

. . . Whaddaya think?  Are we good?  Did you follow me here?

(And I'll gladly wait for people who have scattered to the four winds by now.)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 29, 2018, 10:48:36 pm »

Gary doesn't seem very interested in the magic. He's already come close to dying at least once, why would he ever use magic that would make him permanently closer to death? He also didn't care much for the temple, or Rock Bottom at all for that matter. He didn't know what was wrong with himself; only a day ago he would've been hyperactively bouncing up and down, eager to belch fire and whatnot, yet now he felt different. Up until recently, he had been treating his life as a game, his presence in the cave as an adventure; now he just felt as if he were buried alive in a large rock tomb. Yet he did not want to confront the reality of the situation, so he did what any man in his shoes would: he sells his old, useless mining helmet, and the pick (if it was a spare, if it was his only one he keeps it) and uses the money to buy booze at the cheapest tavern in town.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 173