Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233240 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2017, 10:01:56 am »

Okay, awesome.  Let's just talk about some things:

"Okay without any objections, I think with the food and injuries we have it might be a good time for a rest..."
Try to move all the turkey corpses, cave squid corpses, and wheelbarrow in this small spot where all the cave squids have died so that we have a general "home" spot
"well, that looks interesting."

collect up a few of the smaller chunks of rust-rock and go explore the depths. Don't go too far, just enough to see if this tunnel has anything to watch out for.

I imagine that if you want to leave, you'll find it most efficient to bring the wheelbarrow too.  Stats and inventory are in the first post: the wheelbarrow can hold 60 kg (it has 2x 10 kg rusty stone already), your backpacks can hold 40 kg (and are mostly empty).

You can see 5x 10 kg rusty stone left on the map.

Those weird brown stones the scaled turkeys were eating are 2x 1 kg crystal things.

The scaled turkeys themselves weigh 10 kg, and, for reference, the standing jellyfish weigh 40 kg.

Now it sounds like Lazlowe (Shadowclaw777) would like to rest first.  And obviously:

"I'm barely in any condition to move. Still, if you're all going, I don't want to be alone..."

Frank treats his wounds with only bandages. If the group consensus is to follow the dark passage, he goes along. Else, he sets to butchering the turkey corpses, and examining the gems they were eating.

"I don't suppose any of you are doctors now, are you?"

. . . Frank (Coolrune206) does too.  If the two of you feel like resting for "a game round" and dealing with wounds, then following the other two into darkness on the next "game round," you can probably follow the bobbing light of John (ziizo)'s retreating lantern and play catch-up.

However, since Lazlowe called dibs on the wheelbarrow, and Dustan (Dustan Hache) expressed interest in both gathering stones AND leaving, you might want to sort yourselves out first.

Dustan: if you just want to shove things in your backpack and abandon these two to make decisions about the wheelbarrow, I can run with that.  I'll continue with the scenario stated above.  Otherwise, well, Frank asked for a doctor (you).  You could wait with them for "a game round" and then play catch-up behind John.

Next:

I'm just gonna leave this here for when someone eventually dies.

Name: Sir Lootington.
Icon color: Blue.
What you did before coming down here: Blacksmith.

Hello and welcome!  So glad to have a waitlist!  Do I send you a private message when we're ready for you or what?

I was thinking that I'd wait for 1) somebody, anybody to die, and 2) a waitlist of four people, including the reincarnation of whomever died.  Then a new group of four exiles would drop into the cave just like they did at the start.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2017, 10:22:46 am »

Don't worry, since I am really enjoying reading this I will know when someone dies.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:09 am »

"oh, right! Sorry!"
spend my time healing and patching frank with my doctor skills
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2017, 01:02:22 pm »

I would like to be added to the waitlist:
Name: Durenadal
Icon color: Navy.
What you did before coming down here: Brewer.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:52:02 pm by HugeNerdAndProudOfIt »
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2017, 01:51:21 pm »

Previous -- Next

Okay, cool, Dustan.  I'll make some judgments about what loot everyone carries based on your comments (and based on the fact that a gamer's natural instinct is to fill inventory with all the shinies and I just don't get why you people aren't doing that) and post updated inventories.

And welcome to new people!  HugeNerdAndProudOfIt: the limits are light and you have a talent for breaking them.  I saw that you first thought to be an elf diplomat (you can only be a human).  If you want to say you are a diplomat TO the elves, well, then you'll get the GM's malevolent mind telling you that there are no elves and you are clearly insane.  Next, though, you chose miner (you cannot be a miner).  Ahem.  I'd be tempted to go with "elf diplomat" . . .

Now, plot . . .

Lazlowe, coming to his senses, realizes that the group in general needs to rest and begins collecting their findings.  John is feeling determined, though, and gets a head start exploring the west.  Frank settles down with a grimace and is vaguely reassured that Dustan knows what he's doing as the latter gets to medical work.

Whose bandages do you use, Dustan's or Frank's?  Frank's, of course.  He's the one who was inconsiderate enough to start bleeding.

Spoiler: Healing with bandages (click to show/hide)

Looks like needlework won't be necessary and a lot of the bleeding was, say, abrasions from those tentacle hits, but it uses up the bandages.

That handled, Dustan loads some of the remaining rusty rock into his backpack and the rest into the wheelbarrow, since the other "miners" pretty much abandoned it.  Lazlowe already has the coal in his own pack.

Frank keeps thinking about the weird brown rock/crystal things the creatures were eating.  He grabs one.  They feel like salt crystals more than stone, or maybe like they have a little give to them.  He tries a tentative lick.  It tastes . . . savory?!  You were thinking salty, maybe; or sugary if you were lucky.  But this rock is probably FOOD.

Frank immediately crams both the intact pieces of maybe-it's-food into his backpack before anyone else can claim them.  Then, for good measure, he grabs two of the scaled turkey carcasses and heaps them, still leaking, on the wheelbarrow, and another entire one into his pack.  No one will get between him and food again.

Together they push the wheelbarrow off after John, using his distant light as their guide.  Dustan extinguishes his own for the moment.

There's another "boom" from somewhere far away.

Day 2, Afternoon

Your march takes you along what may have been a fault in the rock.  It's mostly a straight line.  You take rest breaks while walking, sure, but keep a good pace.  It's interesting to follow the patterns in the walls.

You halt when you come to a more open area.  The cave looks as shown below.  Here you see more colors: the rusty, the coal black, and something else with a magenta glow that smacks of familiarity.  You're sure you remember something like that from just recently.  There is a light slope down to some deeper area of the cave at the far side.

John had more time to explore before the others arrived, but there was neither loose loot nor peril and so it did not matter this once.

I added a few notes in the "Rolls and rules" section (including weight limits; Dustan, you are near max), added your kills on your character sheets, added a bestiary in the second post, added an archival map to remember this place you've been . . . yeah, there's info.

And making a new map takes a lot of time.  I figured I'd get several good game rounds in this past weekend, make sure folks were interested, and then update just once or twice a day thereafter when the updates started eating into my daytime.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:15:09 am by Sir Knight »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2017, 02:08:28 pm »

"We're going to need some more water soon."

Frank moves over to the purple-colored wall and begins to mine it. (Any block. Doesn't matter which exactly)

Frank walks over to the edge of the slope and peers down, calling the one with the light over.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:16:52 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 02:10:20 pm »

"Dammit I wanted a subterranean river! " John turns towards the rest "missed me?" asks in a mocking tone.

Check the walls with cracks maybe you can hear water in the other side.

If can hear water mine that wall.

If cannot hear water mine the coal.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »

P.S.: In case it's not obvious, the down-arrows in the top left are an ordinary Dwarf Fortress slope and not any sort of region-leaving teleportation arrows.  I probably should have put that in the description, so I'll edit.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2017, 03:05:20 pm »

"Maybe if we run to dehydration, than we can start drinking the blood of our food? Just food for though"

See if any walls are making any sound of water, than try to mine the wall if their is any sound, if not just start mining the northeast most chunk of coal and mine eastwards

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 04:22:30 pm »

I would also like to be added to the waitlist:
Name: Helmacon
Icon color: Navy
What you did before coming down here: I was a (very unsuccessful) assassin. More specifically, I was a neophyte that had to eliminate a target in order to be accepted as an assassin in training. I failed so badly that they didn't even have the heart to execute me, but they had to deal with me somehow.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2017, 06:01:32 pm »

helmacon: It'll be pretty hilarious if/when you get into the game, given what I have planned to make use of backstories.  Only one problem: I'm checking my graphics program, and it was bad enough when the other two waitlisters said blue and blue-green in a game that already has green.  Would you be okay with a "Navy" that is so dark it almost looks black (so that it can be distinguished from blue) or would you rather pick a different color?

Also, is the person in-game really named "helmacon," or were you just putting your own name on it and you'd like a different one for your character?

"Maybe if we run to dehydration, than we can start drinking the blood of our food? Just food for though"

You do get some moisture from your food, so that lacking water doesn't INSTANTLY mean pain.  This sounds like a good time to reveal the sleep/starvation/healing rules:

In short, lacking water means you'll either gain VERY little health, or you'll die by attrition.  And let's not forget that your meaty foods will rot eventually.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2017, 08:38:32 pm »

New character!

Name: Overseer
Icon Color: Black.
What you did before coming down here: Administrator of an underground settlement.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2017, 09:23:43 pm »

continue searching for the distinct "boom" that is resounding through the tunnels. Inspect and try to chip off some of that glowy magenta rock for use as a light source.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2017, 10:19:16 pm »

Dark Navy is fine.  :)

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2017, 10:25:11 pm »

Previous -- Next

FallacyofUrist and Helmacon: I hate to say this, but now there's definitely a color clash, since "navy" looks very close to "black" in my art program.  One of you needs to choose another color.  Also, FallacyofUrist: I'm very amused by your choice of profession.  Just be advised that no one outside of this cave system has ever seen the setup down here.

Speaking of colors: HugeNerdAndProudOfIt, ya can't choose "navy" too, after all that.  Aggrieving the GM is grounds for getting a hideous orange smiley stuck on your face.

Anyway, the game.  Two people are doing things that won't take as long as mining, so this means that I'll show you the results and then you can decide what to do.  (Obviously, mining takes a long time, so we'll need a team consensus and the information you'll see at the end of this post.)

Most of the team sets to listening for evidence of water or strange anomalies.  None of the cracks in this initial area appear deep enough to reveal anything of note, and it is also silent.  Dustan approaches the magenta rocks: they glow about as much as a firefly, so they might make good markers in the dark, but not good light sources.  As to collecting any, well . . .

Frank keeps up his tradition of sticking his nose into new and interesting places by going to stare into the abyss slight downslope.  John's lantern being nearby, he can see clear through to a far wall.  There seem to be interesting minerals down there, including rock with milky patches that you could perhaps call "opalescent."

And what is this?  In that same wall there are two sections that have clearly been mined out!  Other people must have been here.  They are far out of sight by now, but they seem to have left some of their hard labor behind, including both magenta and opalescent.  And . . . it looks like they dumped a whole pile of coal in the middle of the floor?  Why's that?

Okay, cool.  If you think you should pick anything up, count the dots on the map.  Each "magenta" dot is a chunk weighing 4kg, each "opalescent" weighs 5 kg, and coal weighs 3 kg as before.

And I should just say this if anybody wants to do mining or anything else that takes you overnight.  The first time you slept, I said there were rules for sleep and stuff that we'd skip.  Now it's complicated enough that every time you do anything that goes overnight, I'll need two things from you: what (if anything) you eat, and what (if anything) you use for warmth.

Spoiler: Camping overnight (click to show/hide)

Obviously, I'll just assume that you drink any water and use any bedding, such as the blanket each of you already has in your backpack.  Though I can imagine you might want to do something else first, now . . .
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:13:18 am by Sir Knight »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 173