Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233192 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2017, 04:20:33 pm »

"I hear fighting, I hope I'm not too late..."

Lazlowe will sprint to where the miner party is, try to ignite the coal with my flint, and try to assist them by throwing burning coal, with I guess his bare hands, at the cave squids. If he can't get a good shot at the squids than try to get to the where the fighting is and defend the entrance.

(Edit: Change my action to be more crazier from a suggestion)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:37:53 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2017, 04:29:56 pm »

"I hear fighting, I hope I'm not too late..."

Lazlowe will sprint to where the miner party is and try to assist them by throwing coal at the cave squids. If he can't get a good shot at the squids than try to get to the where the fighting is and defend the entrance.
((Why not ignite the coal first? They MAY fear fire. If not, it will burn them. But then again, this is an OOC suggestion.))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2017, 04:53:43 pm »

"Shit! I hoped I would be long dead before someone discovered the monsters"

Unlit your lantern and once they enter the big room attack the squid

Attack the squid again if possible
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2017, 05:06:11 pm »

aim for the main body, and attack the monsters with my pickaxe, twice.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 06:59:47 pm »

Previous -- Next

Frank backpedals from the smack upside his head, retreating down the narrow corridor.  John extinguishes his lantern; the approaching menaces are still visible by the light Dustan's lantern gives.  They . . . look really creepy when they walk.  And they may have a good ambush technique, but jellyfish (land or otherwise) aren't exactly renowned for their brains, so it is simple to force them into combat where they must approach the full human forces one at a time.

You're prepared, but it has longer reach, so . . .

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . John (ziizo), then Frank (Coolrune206), then the thing that approacheth, then Dustan (Dustan Hache).

Spoiler: Grand melee (click to show/hide)

A furious exchange of blows!  Frank's is especially furious, as he manages to smash his elbow directly into the wall instead of reaching the enemy.  The standing jellyfish must have a taste for his blood, as it targets him first!  He is nearly felled from the stinging blow!  Thankfully, swings at one point or another from John and Dustan are enough to pierce whatever vital organs the thing might have.

Standing jellyfish A has been struck down!

Meanwhile, Lazlowe hurries up behind the group to help out in any way he can.  Throwing lumps of burning coal is helping, right?

Not if the coal doesn't ignite any time soon.  The next monster approaches and battle is rejoined.  Frank, in great pain, hangs back unless absolutely necessary.

(Obviously, I can just roll for combat order and list people in the sequence that matters, so I'm going to stop printing that out unless needed.)

Spoiler: Grand melee (click to show/hide)

The hideous twin goes after John, lashing out at a distance before he can react.  It accomplishes nothing, and John gives it a bleeding nick on one side in return.  Dustan demonstrates that picks are, in fact, hard, and manages to release his grip on the thing completely!  It goes sailing off behind the enemy!

Lazlowe keeps at work on his incendiary.

Gah!  Since when does coal spark and give off such horrible fumes?  (Ed: Since always, that's why we turn it into coke first.)  In your own shock, though, you miraculously manage to toss the thing straight at the enemy.  It doesn't seem to react with fear, or even with any thought at all, but a mass of flaming coal bursting on its underside shrivels a tentacle or two just fine.

As should be obvious from the differing results of "Fail terribly," I have some random numbers for those results too.

I said "Frank hangs back," but if you'll look at the map you'll see that he's just a tile out of reach from one enemy anyway.  Thus I felt it alright to keep going with combat, even with an injured party, because this would make strategic sense.  Coolrune206, if there's something you'd like to do in reaction, you'll get priority right now.

One standing jellyfish still standing.  You probably have this fight in the bag . . .
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:07:04 pm by Sir Knight »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 07:13:31 pm »

dodge past it's tendrils and retrieve my pick, then strike at it from behind!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 07:15:24 pm »

Frank falls back and rapidly crawls to the center of the room, to the gems that the turkeys from earlier were attempting to eat. He does not do anything with them yet, however.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 07:27:05 pm »

"See you in hell"

Attack the monsterx2

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2017, 07:27:53 pm »

"Damn that hurts, but that gave me another idea..."

Lazlowe will assist in the fight if he's needed. If the fight ends, than see if I can grab one of the cave squids and try to see if he can butcher off one the things tentacles with his flint. than try to see if I could form the tentacle into a shaft for a torch
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:31:12 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2017, 11:04:10 pm »

Previous -- Next

(Quickly roll up some combat round order, do one small success check, and . . . )

As Frank engages in a wise retreat, Dustan dodges past the lashing creature into the tunnel where he lost his pick.  The standing jellyfish then . . . turns away from the others in order to follow him?!

John is slowed for a moment by his target going out of reach.  But Lazlowe is on the charge and heads off right after the thing, John close behind.

Spoiler: Terminal melee (click to show/hide)

Lazlowe swings at the standing jellyfish, but he succeeds only in colliding with its legs and pushing it further down the tunnel.  It and Dustan emerge into the next chamber, the latter hardly having a moment to turn and swing while avoiding a stinging touch.  John finally squeezes past Lazlowe, and, though he has little opportunity for wind-up, his blow is enough to end the thing in a bloody mess!

Standing jellyfish B has been struck down!

Whereupon Lazlowe immediately sets to the mildly-venomous corpse with a marginally-sharp flint for the purpose of seeing how well its damp flesh will keep a flame.  We'll just leave him to that.

Finally with a moment to breathe, you take stock of your surroundings.  By Dustan's lantern, it looks like the cave extends some distance from here in each direction.  But in the west . . . hmm.

There's a crevice in the far wall.  It opens on quite a deep passage in the striped rock.  Your light can't even illuminate the far end.  You might have a long walk ahead of you.

. . . And what was that?  You thought you just heard a "boom" from somewhere in the distance.

It's GM time now.  If you go down "a long passage," you will travel a great distance and enter another area.  It will take you a third of a day.  That is, it is currently "Day 2, Morning"; travel will take you into "Day 2, Afternoon."

We're measuring days as morning, afternoon, and evening.  Obviously, when you spent the first day mining, you went past evening and you had to camp, sleep, and consume your food and water overnight.

So travel down this crevice will still give you time to find water, to return, to do whatever and still be within the same day.  Just plan your priorities.

And go ahead and load up on actions.  (You're allegedly in peacetime right now . . .  .)  Shadowclaw777, if you're trying to get light, you can probably acquire the help of your buddies, so talk to them; if you're trying to get fire, be sure to tell me what your next step is so I know what to do with whatever catches ablaze.

I'll be back in real-world tomorrow!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:53:16 pm by Sir Knight »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2017, 11:14:14 pm »

"Okay without any objections, I think with the food and injuries we have it might be a good time for a rest..."
Try to move all the turkey corpses, cave squid corpses, and wheelbarrow in this small spot where all the cave squids have died so that we have a general "home" spot

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2017, 06:42:29 am »

"I am fine and still have my lantern and we need water, so if I don't come back is because I died or found a way out of this mine"

Turn on lantern and go down the long passage

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2017, 07:07:13 am »

I'm just gonna leave this here for when someone eventually dies.

Name: Sir Lootington.
Icon color: Blue.
What you did before coming down here: Blacksmith.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 07:21:12 am »

"well, that looks interesting."

collect up a few of the smaller chunks of rust-rock and go explore the depths. Don't go too far, just enough to see if this tunnel has anything to watch out for.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 08:21:58 am »

"I'm barely in any condition to move. Still, if you're all going, I don't want to be alone..."

Frank treats his wounds with only bandages. If the group consensus is to follow the dark passage, he goes along. Else, he sets to butchering the turkey corpses, and examining the gems they were eating.

"I don't suppose any of you are doctors now, are you?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 173