Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 154073 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Two
« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2017, 05:21:00 pm »

"Er...how will we detect them, then?"
"They'll appear pretty powerful to anyone with any form of magical perception. Asking around may also help; they won't go out much, they'll be trying to hide. Weird events might also be a hint: anything could happen around this guy. That's why he'll be afraid to show his face."

"I don't imagine he's very subtle, being such a powerful magical conduit.
Actually, Vince, do you know it's a he?"

"Yeah, a male, race unknown, between twentyish and sixty we think. Coven Central detected this guy, and that's all they told me."
One wheel short of a wagon

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 09, 2017, 03:41:45 am »

"Why don't we simply kidnap the poor sod while he's asleep?"

I think I'll invest a clot into my pool eye and a clot into the paintbrush, and wait until later to create the chalice. I have a feeling that an electric frog demon won't be too helpful for this mission.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2017, 03:44:16 am »

"We could also just explain to him that, if he isn't properly trained in how to use it, his power will keep increasing until something terrible happens. If he rejects us, we'll just go with the 'kidnap him while he's asleep' plan. Does this sound alright to you chaps?"
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2017, 08:48:59 am »

"We could also just explain to him that, if he isn't properly trained in how to use it, his power will keep increasing until something terrible happens. If he rejects us, we'll just go with the 'kidnap him while he's asleep' plan. Does this sound alright to you chaps?"
"We could always get his opinion on his powers BEFORE we tell him what we want to do with him, as to tailor it to his opinions. Wants to get rid of power? We have a way of extracting it. Wants to get further from society? We're from a relocation program. And so on."
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 09, 2017, 07:50:40 pm »

"We could always get his opinion on his powers BEFORE we tell him what we want to do with him, as to tailor it to his opinions. Wants to get rid of power? We have a way of extracting it. Wants to get further from society? We're from a relocation program. And so on."
"That seems reasonable. Who should do the talking? If no one else objects, I'll do it."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Two
« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2017, 11:48:08 am »

"Yeah, yeah, I've been handling guns longer than you've been alive, kid.  Here's your shit."

With that, Ben leaves with the gun, muttering to it once he's a fair distance away.  "Crazy idiot, thinking guns shoot fucking eggs.  You must be happy to be out of his hands, don't worry, I'll treat you right.  Better than that creep, definitely..."

Wander back to Vince's house with the gun.  Also, since apparently this actually means something in-universe, I'd like to point out that my char doesn't use or believe in magic.  He's just a bit insane, not realizing that all the weirdness is so weird (and he fails to notice a lot of it, such as the twitchyness of his gun).

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 11, 2017, 07:11:32 am »

"Why don't we simply kidnap the poor sod while he's asleep?"
I think I'll invest a clot into my pool eye and a clot into the paintbrush, and wait until later to create the chalice. I have a feeling that an electric frog demon won't be too helpful for this mission.
The glass eye turns into a pendant with a shimmer of holy circles and brief, unintelligible scripture.

The miracle you may cast with it allows you (when you wear it) to see through the eyes of anyone - or anything - within fifty metres. You can tell where you companions are, who else is nearby, and can even see ultraviolet light if a spider is nearby. It's pretty trippy, seeing with multifaceted eyes or in impossible colours, but not unpleasant.

It lasts for about thirty seconds, and has a cooldown of four minutes before it can be used again.

Hm... the paintbrush turns into a wand with two spells at tier one.

The first, costing two puissance to use, can pick up a smear of whatever is lying around: asphalt, metal, stone, greenery, fire, whatever, as long as it is visible. The smear can then be thrown (Jackson Pollock style) or just painted on something or someone. Holding something very hot on your brush doesn't seem to effect it or your hand.

The second allows you to recolour and tweak small objects. For example, you could change the colours on a traffic light. Could be useful, or just very fashionable. One puissance.

"Yeah, yeah, I've been handling guns longer than you've been alive, kid.  Here's your shit."

With that, Ben leaves with the gun, muttering to it once he's a fair distance away.  "Crazy idiot, thinking guns shoot fucking eggs.  You must be happy to be out of his hands, don't worry, I'll treat you right.  Better than that creep, definitely..."

Wander back to Vince's house with the gun.  Also, since apparently this actually means something in-universe, I'd like to point out that my char doesn't use or believe in magic.  He's just a bit insane, not realizing that all the weirdness is so weird (and he fails to notice a lot of it, such as the twitchyness of his gun).
*angry old veteran mutterings*

None from me, Lets Drive!

And the six of you are off! Either cramped awkwardly into the front of the van with Ben, or huddled in the back with several generators connected to a dead sheep and a few magical objects that simply defy description, you get to the building indicated, and park in the middle of a housing estate. The squat grey development looks rather unmagical. There are four floors with apartments, each with a balcony, six apartments on each floor. A concierge (janitor/receptionist person) looks bored at a desk in the entrance. From the label no her desk, she's in charge of most of the estate.

You have no idea which apartment the Recluse is in. There is a slight sense of magical energy, but it isn't coming from any particular direction. Time to start looking.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 11, 2017, 07:25:04 am »

"Hello? Miss, I'm from the Better Environments League for Intrest in Advanced Liasons. I'd like to conduct a survey about social relationships on the inhabitants of this building, in case anyone is suffering from any social disorders. Do you know of any such people on the premises?"
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2017, 03:03:00 pm »

Stride right in like I live here, and go up the stairs to check on each apartment individually. Not going inside, just looking at the doors and anything else that seems strange. Even once we find who we're looking for, we can't discount the possibility that there are other magic users here, which could complicate things.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2017, 03:15:12 pm »

I'll Take a look at the place from the outside, looking for rooms which look unlikely to be owned and magic.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »

just start heading up the stairs, stand next to a door for a bit, and then continue moving on till I find one that I feel is probably it. This is a strong source of magic, right? I should be able to feel it.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2017, 03:50:58 pm »

"Hello? Miss, I'm from the Better Environments League for Intrest in Advanced Liasons. I'd like to conduct a survey about social relationships on the inhabitants of this building, in case anyone is suffering from any social disorders. Do you know of any such people on the premises?"

Stand next to this guy.  If the woman catches the obvious lie, or otherwise seems to be completely unwilling to help, jump over the desk and grab her.  Then cover her mouth while holding a knife to her neck, and very nicely say the spoiler things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 13, 2017, 12:40:09 am »

@Our driver/mission director/who(m?)ever:
"So, can you give us some details about this lad? Why does he dislike magic? Why has he become a recluse?"

"What happens if we're in the back of the van with him when we lock him in it? May I ask what we're kidnapping him for or what the van's machinery will do to him?"

Stand next to this guy.  If the woman catches the obvious lie, or otherwise seems to be completely unwilling to help, jump over the desk and grab her.  Then cover her mouth while holding a knife to her neck, and very nicely say the spoiler things.

If he syvarris actually does this:
"Good God, man! What on Earth are you doing?! Do you want your face to end up in the newspapers?!"

"I'm terribly sorry, miss; this is my friend's first mission(,) and he's a bit jumpy. I wish I could explain what's actually going on here to you, but I'm afraid that I'd get fired if I did. I can tell you, however, that we are trying to save lives here."

"Come, Fred, let's leave this poor woman alone."

Pop my glass eye's ability and ascend the stairs, searching for someone with the ability to see magical currents. Give my coat and top hat to knife-guy; the last thing that I want to do is to give off the impression of a menacing government official to the recluse.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 13, 2017, 02:33:01 pm »

The woman at the desk doesn't immediately clock that you're lying. She looks confused, mumbles something about not knowing if she has access to information like that, but offers to help you in any way she can. Perhaps you could be more specific? Clearly extreme boredom and chaotic management have made her extremely given to helping random officials.

Stride right in like I live here, and go up the stairs to check on each apartment individually. Not going inside, just looking at the doors and anything else that seems strange. Even once we find who we're looking for, we can't discount the possibility that there are other magic users here, which could complicate things.
You check rooms 01 through to 06. 02 has weird atonal music playing and 06 is very cold, but nothing unusual in that.
11 to 16 have little results, except for the young children you meet hanging through the doorway of 14, clearly very bored.

I'll Take a look at the place from the outside, looking for rooms which look unlikely to be owned and magic.
The ground (01 to 06) and second (21-26) floors have trace magical runes floating about them, barely discernable to your powerful Sight. Rooms 02, 03, 06, 21, 22, 24, and 25 have the blinds drawn.

just start heading up the stairs, stand next to a door for a bit, and then continue moving on till I find one that I feel is probably it. This is a strong source of magic, right? I should be able to feel it.
You get nothing. High stats in combat or sheer power will be less useful here.

Goethe seems to be doing fine on his own, so you sort of skulk in the background. Wearing a hoodie and slouching in the background is as good as disguise as any on a housing estate. Better than the guy who just gave you a tophat and embroidered coat.

@Our driver/mission director/who(m?)ever:
"So, can you give us some details about this lad? Why does he dislike magic? Why has he become a recluse?"

"What happens if we're in the back of the van with him when we lock him in it? May I ask what we're kidnapping him for or what the van's machinery will do to him?"

If he syvarris actually does this:
"Good God, man! What on Earth are you doing?! Do you want your face to end up in the newspapers?!"

"I'm terribly sorry, miss; this is my friend's first mission(,) and he's a bit jumpy. I wish I could explain what's actually going on here to you, but I'm afraid that I'd get fired if I did. I can tell you, however, that we are trying to save lives here."

"Come, Fred, let's leave this poor woman alone."

Pop my glass eye's ability and ascend the stairs, searching for someone with the ability to see magical currents. Give my coat and top hat to knife-guy; the last thing that I want to do is to give off the impression of a menacing government official to the recluse.

You ask Vince some last minute questions.

"We don't know anything more about him, sorry. He doesn't like magic, or supresses it, or something, because he's scared of it, ashamed, thinks he's nuts, whatever. He's a Recluse because he stays away from people: can't control his powers around them, doesn't want people to know, is psychologically disturbed, all of the above."

"Being in there with him? It'd be unpleasant for you. You end up dead or weirder. The machinery is only meant to have Recluses in it, not Witches that embrace their power. It's like if you put an apple in an electric orange juicer: it's going to destroy the apple, might break the juicer, and won't even give you much apple juice."

"The van itself? Oh, that's almost exactly like an orange juicer."

And Vince will say no more on the matter, tossing you into the truck.

You use the miracle. Aside from the usual insect vision, rats scampering about disturbingly close to your feet, unspeakable low-quality images seen through the eyes of genital lice, etc there's quite a bit of weird stuff. Some of it is your companions, several of whom experience daylight hallucinations, but there's some other odd stuff going on.

On the ground floor, you see from several sets of eyes in the same very dark apartment that have some kind of infrared or heat vision. And aren't picking one another up. So don't have heat signatures.

A couple of floors up, you're not sure how many, you see through someone's eyes into some kind of truly disgusting summoning. Instead of a neat hole in reality, there's a torn and inflamed socket being prodded and poked at with a limb flickering with ritual energy. The realm it leads into isn't anything useful like a demonic pit or the body of a God, but is vague and diffuse, multicoloured floating lights vaguely mingling in light blue clouds, and weird feelings of pleasure melting through even your holy and entirely visual connection. It's like seeing through the eyes of someone on LSD, cocaine, and several potent aphrodisiacs. You withdraw in righteous disgust, and then the miracle finishes.

Spoiler: rooms + information (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 13, 2017, 02:55:48 pm »

Cast the rose wand's second spell on some inanimate object (like a picture frame) within the children's sight. If they don't react to that, they're probably muggles. If they do react, further investigation is warranted.
If nothing proves interesting, move up to floor three.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 86