Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Foxhole - Running with rifles but with crafting  (Read 9245 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Foxhole - Running with rifles but with crafting
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 09:39:46 pm »

Well, it would be pretty easy to join the same server, and apparently the game does have a Coalition system in place. Supposedly with >5 players, the leader can give objectives, and they can lock their stuff so only people in the coalition can access it.
Someone (or I, I guess) could probably make a thread to coordinate something simple in the Play w/ Buddies board.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 10:24:56 pm »

Like, say, a group of highly intelligent and extremely attractive B12ers?

Someone called?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 10:27:25 pm »

(Couldn't resist the obvious opportunity for a comedic jab. Sue me.)

Just downloaded this, can't wait to play it to death.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 10:32:21 pm »

Why's that?
I may be lucky but most of the servers I join there's some team effort. Like right now we're defending a city being overrun. People are trucking in supplies while others try to recapture the town.
Mostly down to these:

1. Friendly fire.
2. Very easy inadvertent friendly fire.
3. Reliant on either lengthy farming period or random people being competent to get in the fight each life.
4. Limited resources and access to the same.

Basically, the reasons why RWR runs smoothly is because no player can meaningfully disrupt or halt the play of their teammates, going from respawn->fighting is dead simple, "resource management" basically just consists of setting your loadout and maybe looting some stuff for your stash, and there being plenty of AI on both teams to fill things out.

In other words, RWR removes pretty much all of the usual friction points and griefing tools from the equation, so even if someone is a dickhead there's not much for them to get mad about and not much harm they can do when they do find an excuse. Foxhole does the exact opposite, providing plentiful points of failure and the most fundamental tool for griefers in a team game.

Don't get me wrong, having even a heavily simplified logistics system in place is really fucking cool, but the implementation is basically one giant warning sign to me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 01:19:51 am »

Gave it a run, came across an enemy squad at a crossroads and tore them to shreds, grabbed their mortar and shells, and began to withdraw just as one of the heavier vehicles showed up. Luckily a teammate had it distracted while I set up the mortar behind some cover and lobbed rounds onto the armor. I scared off one vehicle and destroyed a transport full of dudes. It was glorious. I then spent forty minutes farming scrap and resources for no particular reason, becoming a godsend when supplies were being requested at the front and I roll up at that exact moment with a truckload of goods.

Great fun, I can see why some people would be wary, though. Regardless, it seems like a game that'll be enjoyable with a cohesive unit, and I can't wait.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 04:58:17 am »

I was very intrigued until I saw this and frowned a little.

(Hint, I'm a Linux guy.)

I join the club.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 12:52:25 am »

I like this game. Still in alpha so i forgive the small bugs it has. Still quite fun when get nice group going on.
And it is free for now so nothing to lose to try it out :)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:19 am »

Having a wonderful time seeking out servers where we're down to 1 base left, then jumping in and leading a spearhead to reconquer lost territory, especially by way of small spec ops teams loaded with explosives.

Last game, one random dude and I breached the wall of a neighboring town, destroyed all their material caches by hiding their loot where the camera can't see it, (since we can't carry it all...), then proceeded to mortar them with their own mortar.

Cue 9+ enemies coming at us, and us mowing them down -man after man - me with my rifle, him with his smg, until we finally ran out of ammo.

It bolstered our team's confidence and they led a successful offensive on the town, captured it, and we produced our first truck - turning the tides of the war.

I then quietly logged out and joined the next game.

...I love this game. Also, I apparently suck at large-scale offensives. I'm all tactical.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 08:45:20 am »

If you find yourself spawncamp'd, just remember: find/build a barracks or whatever its called, or use a townhall and "select spawn" so you spawn there.

...No more spawn-camp.

(Some people have figured out where wild spawns are due to afk players. Which is why I announce my intentions and shoot long-time afk'ers who spawned then bailed. All they have is a pistol, so they have no reason to be pissed. Prevents the enemy from spawn-camping us!)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 12:34:27 pm »

To spawn in Town Hall or Barracks someone needs to deliver supplies to them.
Nobody does that.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 12:40:18 pm »

Yeeeahh. Stocked respawn points are annoyingly rare.
Probably because the supplies cost an extreme amount of resources to be made and must be made at special crafting stations that are usually only present in 2 areas per map.

It's pretty dumb. I just wish the respawn in the wild mechanic wasn't so dumb. People should respawn all at a same place so they can actually do things and you can have transport chains going, instead of forcing players to spend half of their time alive trekking back to civilization every time they respawn.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 12:53:21 pm »

Yeah the cost of making spawn supplies definitely needs to be dropped.

I'd love to see a spawn map appear when you have to respawn. Show the player all available spawn points, if the barracks or hall or outpost etc. has supplies you can click and spawn there, if not you have to go to another location. If ALL points are seemingly out of supply then there should be a default location near the rear that your team can spawn at. None of this random wilderness 'oh wait I just got shot by 6 foxholes' business.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 12:57:17 pm »

Perhaps more annoying, I think, is that while you can farm scrap at every town, there are only a few towns where it can be processed. Lugging around useless material is unfun, as is being unable to build anything because you don't have access to any towns that can process scrap.
Nothing important here, move along.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 12:40:26 am »

The dev team has said they aim to make this game for the adult players. So there will probably like flying body parts and focus on team play.
Supporting villages is kinda pain now since there is no info available on map what is needed and where.
But hopefully they make radio more useful and add some Coalition colors and commands.
But all in all they moving in right direction. Me like.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 01:52:17 am »

But flying body parts are most amusing to children.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5