Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Foxhole - Running with rifles but with crafting  (Read 9235 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Foxhole - Running with rifles but with crafting
« on: February 10, 2017, 02:32:35 pm »

So I just came upon this thing, Phly did a kind of intro video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xpWQVtGHKI

What is it? Well it's like the title says, isometric shooter on a massive-ish scale but with a twist, every piece of equipment is made by the players from materials they collected. This means that holding territory is important to get resources as well as access to crafting points (it seems they're limited to certain spots on the map) and not only that, logistics are an actual thing because you need to transport said arms and ammo to wherever the fighting is happening at the time.

It's F2P (for now atleast, no idea what their monetisation plan is) and on Steam in pre-early access (whatever that means) here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/505460/

I haven't checked it out myself yet but it seems interesting enough with a cool idea but I'm fairly certain teaming up would be pretty fun, especially with division of duties in a somewhat organised way.

Any takers?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foxhole - Running with rifles but with crafting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:51:32 pm »

I'll definitely be giving it a try once I'm free in a few hours. I'll add an edit with my first impressions after I've played a bit.

EDIT: Well, it's definitely a pre-alpha game. The controls are very clunky - it almost reminds me of DayZ in the early days, but maybe that's just the graphic style. The inventory system is interesting and I like being able to make your own fortifications, so I'll keep an eye on it. But until they make it feel "snappier" and more responsive I can't see it competing with RWR.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:30:25 pm by Dirtcopter77 »

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:07:19 pm »

it's starting to get in shape but hard to find much players when not during an event. Also from my experience, a lot of Russians that are pretty annoying tbh :(
They will need to have a strong playerbase on release, else the game will be dead in no time (see "the mean greens") as there is no AI involved.
I'm looking forward for that game though, even though I doubt it can compete with Running with Rifles for my taste even though I like the "crafting" system!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:34:42 pm »

I gave this a try a couple months ago. Looks very promising, but was pretty barebones back then. If they could implement some kind of line of sight/fog of war it would make the game more interesting.

Having a button to quickly orbit the camera to face your cursor would have been nice too.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:51:19 pm »

I was very intrigued until I saw this and frowned a little.

(Hint, I'm a Linux guy.)

And the implication from the requirements table implies that this runs on DX11 so there is little chance of it getting either ported directly, or working through Wine.
For shame, honestly, I'd love to check it out,

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 11:52:40 pm »

Looks to be RWR, except with 20-30+min of crafting grind before you can fight, team-killing, accidental team-killing, worse camera, wonky physics, and an annoying realistic-but-too-low-res-for-now graphics. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 01:59:46 am »

Call me a cynic here, but to me this screams "3 hours of prep-work destroyed in by 10 seconds of teammate blunder: The Simulator". Burnout of high-command players in WW2Online is infamous; I can't see the situation improving by putting logistics into the hands of every player.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 04:15:16 am »

I've played it a bit with friends on two different servers. On one, a group of players were holding everything with iron grip (aka - executing people getting too close to armoury or vehicle depo, as they were rulers of those places) and it was insanely fun. There were trucks resupplying people on frontlines, huge built up defences, maxed out tech levels, and someone actually set up a fucking artillery battery to provide support, though they werent that great due to lack of artillery spotters.
The second time it was fucking horrible. You couldn't get through to armoury because of all the noobs occupying it and making useless shit, the vehicle depo was perpetually blocked by locked trucks, people were just driving over each other or shooting their teammates out of frustration. When we finally managed to gather enough resources, enough tech-points and punched our way through to armoury and shoot our way to vehicle depo so we could depart to other town, we got shoot during making our armoured car and some idiot stole it and started driving over everyone since noone could manage to get a bazooka or something, and then finally we decided to attack enemy with our starting pistols, just to find out enemy has the same problems.
Tbh, this game lacks a clear command structure and good communication, as the current chat and voice chat are lacking. Its has potential, a lot of it, but eh.
EDIT: Also, a tutorial. A lot of people have simply no idea what to do.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:20:32 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 07:16:02 pm »

This seems really interesting but, from what I've seen on videos and heard about the game, the potential and probability of clusterfucks happening is too high.
If I could just skip the grind and scavange gear on my way to the front, I would probably try it out. I was at least decent on RWR and found it very fun.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »

This game really wouldn't be described as "Craft -> Fight"

It's more that you either hitch a ride to the fighting and grab some weapons and ammo, then fight. Or you drive a truck transporting resources, arms, and people between manufacturing sites and the fighting.
Competent-enough teams (surprisingly not that rare) should have some kind of forward-operating base next to the fighting. People usually bring stuff made at the armories here so people fighting can just grab a rifle and ammo from the crate and move forward. Etc. etc.

I like it. Definitely has potential but seems like it'd be most fun with a larger group.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 07:54:21 pm »

Like, say, a group of highly intelligent and extremely attractive B12ers?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 07:59:06 pm »

Geez, the more coverage of this I watch the more I want to never play it. Legitimately feels like the dev set out to make "Why Online Multiplayer With Randoms is Cancer Simulator 2017".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 08:01:37 pm »

Why's that?
I may be lucky but most of the servers I join there's some team effort. Like right now we're defending a city being overrun. People are trucking in supplies while others try to recapture the town.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 08:14:54 pm »

Hello.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 08:52:20 pm »

Hello.
Why, hello there. Come here often?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5