Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Survival of the Fittest (waitlist open): A Game of Mutation and Wilddeath  (Read 9000 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile

Survival of the Fittest

Six people stir, reaching for their alarm clocks, or perhaps phones. Maybe even a computer, if they're the kind of person who opens one the moment they wake up. What they find is... nothing. Or more accurately, a concrete floor, give or take several layers of dirt and grime. Five others seem to be piled on of of them, in a similar state of grogginess and dishevelment.

The group seem to be in a parking garage, or at least the remains of one. The walls are barely visible under some sort of black fungus, and the whole place is covered in claw marks, somewhat similar to the gouges a bear might make in a tree. Of course, there is a bit of a difference in that that the animal- or, well, whatever it was- managed to produce hundreds of marks in solid concrete, but they hope that's irrelevant for the time being.

After properly waking up, their first thoughts are that they have no idea what is happening, or how they ended up here. In fact, there are numerous holes in their memory, mostly centered around the last twenty-four hours of their existence. However, poking at these gaps reveals a new memory. Something... different, somehow, a scene which is almost imperceptibly other. It is of a hissing, crackling voice, speaking from an empty throne.

"The six of you have aw͠aķen̴ed́ ͏f͘r̡om se͜ve͟ral years of dormancy, as per our terms. You may notice that m͏em͢o̴r͢ies c̴ont̴ai̴n̢ing͏ sensitive information have been extracted. We assure you ͜t̡ha̡t͞ th̨is is for the best."

"On to more practi̧c̕al m͝a͞t̀ters. You will likely notice that the surface has been changed drastically during your absence. As you may have inferred, this is due to the introduction of f̶lor͝a and fauna gat̴h̛ȩred͏ within the Deep. As such, th͜e̶ wildlife has become exţr͡emel҉y ̛danǵe̸r҉o͢u̢s, ̨and human society has largely collapsed."

"Of course, we have not left you helpless, or w͏įt́hou̶t as͘śi̶s̢ta͞nc̢e. Firstly, there is a human enclave to your immediate north. It should be quite safe, although you may encounter lesser monstrosities before you are ţa̛ken within th͜e̶ walls."

"Secondly, and far more importantly, you are no longer quite human. The physical laws involved are, naturally, far beyond y̛óur͝ un̵dersta͞n̕d̷ing̢, but put simply, you are c̷apabl̴e ͞o͡f͟ ̢a͘b͡soŗbin̨g dead flesh and converting it into ene͠rgy w͡e ͝c̶all ̸'v͠i͏ta̧l̨i͏t̢y̢.̀' It may be used to mutate yourself, altering your own flesh in any way you desire. Additionally, we have provided you with reserves of vitality with which to make your first alterations."

"We will contact y͡ou̸ wh̢en ̡thér͞e̛ ̴i̧s ̕need. Best of luck."

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: (Optional) Discord (click to show/hide)

---------------------------

Spoiler: The Living (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resting in Pieces (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:29:33 pm by Whisperling »

Tymewalk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tyme Traveler
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Fittest (0/6)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:21:39 am »

Name: Trevor Miller
Description: Definitely not an average boy. Looks shy and conceited, with blond hair, and blue eyes. Deep down, though, he just wants to see everything burn.
First Mutations: Two extra limbs at his sides.
Inventory: Some cash (although it's probably worthless now), a small penknife, and some matches.

TheLastDino

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers not to die.
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Fittest (1/6)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 01:16:01 am »

Name: Will Taylor
Description: Very lanky and tall, hates watching things die, very stubborn, slightly annoying with his wit. Dark, dark brown hair with green eyes that seem to glow (but don't obviously).
First Mutations: Superhuman hearing and smell
Inventory: Phone that's long since lost it's battery, swiss army knife

EDIT: Added some details including last name and a few more physical descriptions.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 06:10:20 am by TheLastDino »
"If magic can't solve a problem, the answer is always more magic." - Whisperling

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 03:44:06 am »

Name: Rachel Maude
Description: Tall, athletic, and pretty. Light brown hair and green eyes. Has it goin' on, ahem ahem.
First Mutations: Her forearms and hands are thicker, covered in coarse hair, and she has bearlike claws on every finger. They're also much stronger than a normal human's arms.
Inventory: Journal (marked "PROPERTY OF R. MAUDE"), fancy pen
Black lives matter.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 06:05:24 am »

I am not down with this "discord" thing. feel free to excommunicate me on that basis.

Name: Ferdinand Timothy Jones
Description: Both small and separately a child of about 10. Black hair, blue eyes, fair complexion, perhaps a bit mousey... There is also something a bit odd about their legs, as though they do not entire match their body perfectly. They are thoughtful, studious, shy, and for some reason have absolutely no sense of ever having been involved in a sport that involved something other than sitting down...
First Mutations: Enhanced communication. They start attempting telepathy(limited to intentional send/receive after deliberately establishing a link with an individual, possibly requiring prolonged exposure at close range and possibly with a limited number of simultaneous links), but failing that they will work on emitting distinctive odours of both "sticky" and rapidly deteriorating/dispersing varieties or perhaps directed light-signals of varied colours, patterns, and intensities.
Telepathy doesn't seem to be possible, but odors certainly are, to the point where they act a bit like communication pheromones, giving those in range a clear (if somewhat removed) perception of basic emotions and sensations. More vitality could easily be used to enhance or diversify the effect.
Inventory: A clear notebook with several sketches and commentaries of pre-disaster flora and fauna, several pencils, a knife with a very short blade(suitable for whittling or sharpening pencils), and a small grindstone(suitable for sharpening a small blade).

Their first instinct is that they can not contribute to a situation. +calm -reaction.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:42:20 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Fittest (0/6)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 12:48:44 pm »

Name: Trevor Miller
Description: Definitely not an average boy. Looks shy and conceited, with blond hair, and blue eyes. Deep down, though, he just wants to see everything burn.
First Mutations: Two extra limbs at his sides.
Inventory: Some cash (although it's probably worthless now), a small penknife, and some matches.

Name: Will Taylor
Description: Very lanky and tall, hates watching things die, very stubborn, slightly annoying with his wit. Dark, dark brown hair with green eyes that seem to glow (but don't obviously).
First Mutations: Superhuman hearing and smell
Inventory: Phone that's long since lost it's battery, swiss army knife

EDIT: Added some details including last name and a few more physical descriptions.

Name: Rachel Maude
Description: Tall, athletic, and pretty. Light brown hair and green eyes. Has it goin' on, ahem ahem.
First Mutations: Her forearms and hands are thicker, covered in coarse hair, and she has bearlike claws on every finger. They're also much stronger than a normal human's arms.
Inventory: Journal (marked "PROPERTY OF R. MAUDE"), fancy pen

All fine.

I am not down with this "discord" thing. feel free to excommunicate me on that basis.

Name: Ferdinand Timothy Jones
Description: Both small and separately a child of about 10. Black hair, blue eyes, fair complexion, perhaps a bit mousey... There is also something a bit odd about their legs, as though they do not entire match their body perfectly. They are thoughtful, studious, shy, and for some reason have absolutely no sense of ever having been involved in a sport that involved something other than sitting down...
First Mutations: Enhanced communication. They start attempting telepathy(limited to intentional send/receive after deliberately establishing a link with an individual, possibly requiring prolonged exposure at close range and possibly with a limited number of simultaneous links), but failing that they will work on emitting distinctive odours of both "sticky" and rapidly deteriorating/dispersing varieties or perhaps directed light-signals of varied colours, patterns, and intensities.
Inventory: A clear notebook with several sketches and commentaries of pre-disaster flora and fauna, several pencils, a knife with a very short blade(suitable for whittling or sharpening pencils), and a small grindstone(suitable for sharpening a small blade).

No discord is fine. You'll probably miss some discussion, but it is intended to be optional. Should probably edit the OP to reflect that.

Telepathy doesn't seem to be possible, but odors certainly are, to the point where they act a bit like communication pheromones, giving those in range a clear (if somewhat removed) perception of basic emotions and sensations. More vitality could easily be used to enhance or diversify the effect.

(To be clear, this setting is pretty soft sci-fi, but mutations will generally need some sort of basis in reality.)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Fittest (4/6)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 04:42:56 pm »

Just going to bump this in an effort to get 6/6 before I write the intro.

I'd be really surprised if we don't get enough players, but method of last resort would probably be to move it into the RTD section, since the style is honestly a bit of a cross between the two. Might even be a better fit, what with rolls and such, although I'm hesitant given that we're using a d10.

EDIT: Yeah, let's bite the bullet and do it. I'd prefer to get this going as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:18:41 pm by Whisperling »

TheLastDino

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers not to die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 07:38:13 pm »

I'd be really surprised if we don't get enough players, but method of last resort would probably be to move it into the RTD section, since the style is honestly a bit of a cross between the two. Might even be a better fit, what with rolls and such, although I'm hesitant given that we're using a d10.

EDIT: Yeah, let's bite the bullet and do it. I'd prefer to get this going as soon as possible.
Was the bullet delicious?
"If magic can't solve a problem, the answer is always more magic." - Whisperling

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 07:40:24 pm »

Name: Raul Eduardo
Description: A young Hispanic of the age of 23, slightly under the average height. His brown hair is rather messy from his sleep, and he has evidently not taken any time to fix it. His eyes are blue and appear rather bright, hinting to some degree of intelligence.
First Mutations: Large claws present on the hands.
Inventory: A crappy Zibbo™ lighter and a pack of cigarettes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:48:14 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 09:21:08 pm »

Description: A young Hispanic of the age of 23, slightly under the average height. His brown hair is rather messy from his sleep, and he has evidently not taken any time to fix it. His eyes are blue and appear rather bright, hinting to some degree of intelligence.
For some reason, I really want this guy to become a doctor..
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 11:07:10 pm »

Was the bullet delicious?

Very funny, Dino. :P

That's fine, although the claws don't use up the entirety of your starting vitality. That really just means you'll carry some into the game, though, so it isn't a huge deal.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:20:47 pm by Whisperling »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Fittest (5/6): A Game of Mutation and Wilddeath
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 11:25:32 pm »

Name: Nix Johnson
Description: A 20-something, rail thin man, his mop-like black hair is tied back in a ponytail.
First Mutations: Extra powerful, greek statue like legs that are nearly impossible to break due to how solidly built they are.
Inventory: Watch, Scotch tape
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Fittest (5/6): A Game of Mutation and Wilddeath
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 11:35:25 pm »

Name: Nix Johnson
Description: A 20-something, rail thin man, his mop-like black hair is tied back in a ponytail.
First Mutations: Extra powerful, greek statue like legs that are nearly impossible to break due to how solidly built they are.
Inventory: Watch, Scotch tape

All right, you're good. That's six out of six, so we can go ahead and start.

---------------------

Writing up the intro now. It's getting a bit late, so I may have to post it tomorrow, but at least we can get things moving.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Fittest (waitlist open): A Game of Mutation and Wilddeath
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 04:52:24 am »

Spoiler: For dat waitlist (click to show/hide)
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

TheLastDino

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers not to die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 07:51:28 am »

For some reason, I really want this guy to become a doctor..
Currently imagining him trying to use a syringe on someone but can't prick the guy because his claws keep getting in the way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6