Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3364 3365 [3366] 3367 3368 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242336 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50475 on: March 03, 2023, 04:37:23 am »

That's actually surprising. More likely to be a victim of other violent crimes, but not homicide? Especially since there is the "trans panic defense" exists. Also, considering the recent Nazi-esque rhetoric come from the GOP in the past few years I wouldn't be surprised if it shot up from 2014.
...it probably just means Trans folks are more likely to survive attempts to kill them.  Which is amazing.

I wonder if the fact that half of them are semi-muscular born males that identify as female, and the other half are semi-muscular born females that identify as male, means potential attackers greatly underestimate their resilience.

You probably heard of Q-ships?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50476 on: March 03, 2023, 05:06:40 am »

The "trans panic defense" isn't a formal affirmative defense in and of itself. Rather, it is a excuse to invoke a more conventional affirmative defense, usually insanity. Like most affirmative defenses, it is rarely used (remember - using an affirmative defense is inherently a confession of guilt ("I did it, but I don't think I should be punished normally for it because..."), and if the judge/jury doesn't buy it you're fucked), and it is even more rarely successful. Meanwhile, the majority of hate crimes are intimidation or assault - deliberate murder is a small portion of hate crimes, and hate-murders are a small portion of murders. Meanwhile, the biggest targets of hate crime in the US remain women and black people - others do get targeted, but they're not the ones with the biggest target on their backs other than as part of one of those two groups.

Making this more complicated is that rabid transphobia is something of an astroturfed bigotry, deliberately manufactured by the right because the older forms of bigotry they relied on are waning. The more "wild" variety is rooted in mockery and ignorance - still extremely cruel and difficult to deal with, but it isn't the "I sure would like to hunt your kind for sport" type of thing you see at some of the soapboxes. 
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50477 on: March 04, 2023, 08:06:43 pm »

Meanwhile, the biggest targets of hate crime in the US remain women and black people - others do get targeted, but they're not the ones with the biggest target on their backs other than as part of one of those two groups.

Can you give a source for this regarding cisgender women being less of a target of hate crime than trans people in general? Not meaning to be an ass, but I've seen exactly the opposite statistic as a head-to-head comparison on Wikipedia.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50478 on: March 04, 2023, 08:20:07 pm »

Meanwhile, the biggest targets of hate crime in the US remain women and black people - others do get targeted, but they're not the ones with the biggest target on their backs other than as part of one of those two groups.

Think you may have read my comment backwards - violence against women in general is very close to the most common form of hate crime, depending on how you measure it. Precisely which group gets the most hate tends to depend on the exact definition of "hate crime" you're using. 
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #50479 on: March 05, 2023, 02:13:30 am »

Sounds like that could be whether you can measure it by the proportion of people who are that which have been victim of a hate crime, or the total number of hate crimes reported?

Because you'd expect more hate crimes against women reported than against trans people, even if a random trans person is more likely to have experienced a hate crime than a random woman, just by sheer population sizes.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 02:18:28 am by MorleyDev »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50480 on: March 05, 2023, 10:22:54 pm »

There are a few hurdles to reporting:
1) Law Enforcement identifying the victim as trans
2) Law Enforcement identifying the incident as a crime

This ironically explains why there are less trans fatalities: They're not alive to say that they're trans (or that they were murdered).

Oh, and for Hate Crimes:
3) Law Enforcement identifying as a hate crime

Frankly, the term "hate crime" is so vague and unscientific that it's borderline useless.  But hey, I can never be a victim of a "hate crime", so what do I know?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #50481 on: March 05, 2023, 10:39:13 pm »

Yeah, these are all the blockades to good data on the subject. It's also possible that assaults or beatings which lead to deaths are called manslaughters instead of murder, but I'm not certain on that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50482 on: March 06, 2023, 09:16:31 am »

For what it's worth, I've been sick since like last sunday (still am, though it finally seems to be getting better), so it's pretty likely I was getting general mortality rates mixed up with homicide or somethin'. There's grotesque societal abuse and neglect involved on that front, but maybe less active murder.

General point was that bigots murdering trans folk in broad daylight just wouldn't be much or any of a change in tune for the US, and, like... I don't think that's inaccurate. Could see a change in quantity of violence, but the quality is already pretty shit and has been for a long, long time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50483 on: March 08, 2023, 12:08:49 pm »

Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50484 on: March 08, 2023, 01:24:20 pm »

I wonder what the odds are that Trump will win if he does get the nomination.  At one point I'd have thought his chances were zero, but it feels like people forgot everything so they'll be back to fully supporting him by the next election cycle.

I don't think support for Biden has really grown, whether he deserves it or not, so if it's the two of them again I don't know what Biden's odds are against him.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50485 on: March 09, 2023, 03:56:46 pm »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 03:59:57 pm by Starver »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50486 on: March 09, 2023, 04:16:48 pm »

I wonder what the odds are that Trump will win if he does get the nomination.  At one point I'd have thought his chances were zero, but it feels like people forgot everything so they'll be back to fully supporting him by the next election cycle.

I don't think support for Biden has really grown, whether he deserves it or not, so if it's the two of them again I don't know what Biden's odds are against him.

There have now been three (technically more, counting special elections) election cycles that were a crushing rebuke to Trump (2018, 2020, and especially 2022). It isn't impossible that he can win, but the national mood is pretty solidly against him. The Biden popularity numbers had little effect in 2022, and seem a lot spongier than normal approval ratings. Even, that is, if you ignore that a lot of the "very unpopular" aggregate numbers pull in a lot of the same polls that predicted a Red Wave last year - suggesting that there might be something wrong with the polling.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50487 on: March 09, 2023, 07:13:24 pm »

Of course in practice we're probably gonna get another insurrection attempt no matter how things go, and zero idea if anyone important will be held accountable in a reasonable timeframe even if the current DoJ survives to continue fiddling about with the last domestic terrorist attack. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50488 on: March 09, 2023, 08:28:00 pm »

Of course in practice we're probably gonna get another insurrection attempt no matter how things go, and zero idea if anyone important will be held accountable in a reasonable timeframe even if the current DoJ survives to continue fiddling about with the last domestic terrorist attack. :/

The best we can hope for....is that a 2024 insurrection is as badly planned, or planned worse, than the 2022 insurrection. The alternative is legitimately terrifying.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50489 on: March 10, 2023, 12:15:24 am »

There can also be counter-organization at the certification.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 3364 3365 [3366] 3367 3368 ... 3568