Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3362 3363 [3364] 3365 3366 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241575 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50445 on: February 20, 2023, 04:53:13 pm »

So what do you guys think of Yeonmi Park?
who?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50446 on: February 20, 2023, 05:07:16 pm »

Yeah, I think that's the first time I've seen the name, and a cursory google doesn't show anything I'm inclined to care much about. Are they supposed to matter for some reason?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50447 on: February 20, 2023, 06:32:30 pm »

About her, I have a few good thoughts and no bad thoughts.

She is just another person telling her story and by extension, the story of other people who died or are trapped or are trapping others. There are plenty of other people who escaped similar situations in other places, in wartime or not, and their stories are often the only thing you know about what is happening there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #50448 on: February 21, 2023, 12:34:18 am »

Yeah, I think that's the first time I've seen the name, and a cursory google doesn't show anything I'm inclined to care much about. Are they supposed to matter for some reason?

She's a North Korean defector who's steadily becoming famous in the US - among Right-wing or Right-leaning circles. At first she mostly spoke about her own experiences in North Korea (who at times, has basically been caught embellishing stories she's told), but now after moving to the US, she's been full on going straight into American "culture war" and has just been getting rich off that for a while now.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50449 on: February 22, 2023, 12:26:48 pm »

Supreme Court sides with Arizona death row inmate seeking to challenge sentence in federal court

Smart decision by the Court, kinda stupid it was 5-4...

Without diving into the case, my guess is that it shows that Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito basically want to Federal Courts/Government to only hear gun cases but otherwise let States do whatever they want.
Correction: Four Justices believe that. It's the very first words of their dissent. They basically just want to dismantle the Federal system. They're no better than Confederate Rebel Scum....

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50450 on: February 22, 2023, 12:31:00 pm »

Republican Bill to make the AR-15 the National Gun of America.

Next they can have a bill to make the national pastime shooting children.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50451 on: February 22, 2023, 12:34:21 pm »

Next they can have a bill to make the national pastime shooting children.
Fuck you libtard

But in all seriousness, it's another stupid bill.
The M1 Garand is far more worthy of the honor, as the gun that won WW2 for the United States.

In contrast, the AR-15 is a knockoff of the main service rifle from a war that America LOST. And that main service rifle was often blamed for America losing...

They're both also semi-automatic rifles, and the M1 Garand better emphasises the advantages of that firing mechanism.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50452 on: February 22, 2023, 01:39:46 pm »

The AR-15 is not a knockoff of the AK-47 but an evolution of the AR-10 to a smaller caliber, and the AR-10 could if anything could be said to have been inspired by the Stg-44 itself, and the AK-47 is itself based on (in role and some design cues) that same German weapon... from WWII. Which we won.

Unless you mean the AR-15 is a knockoff M16? In which case...what? Because the AR-15 is just the Armalite company designation for the same weapon they sold to the US military as the M16 but in a civilian semiauto-only version. It's not a knockoff, just the internal company designation instead of the formal military designation, which of course the civilian company doesn't have the rights to use. And of course nobody intelligent blames the M16 for somehow losing us the Vietnam War. It was (infamously and not really deservedly) regarded as unreliable to start with but was then fixed... and didn't change the course of the war in either direction.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50453 on: February 22, 2023, 01:51:54 pm »

Quick, someone play the national anthem in pitch shifted m1 garand pings.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50454 on: February 22, 2023, 03:31:33 pm »

And that main service rifle was often blamed for America losing...

Only by idiots.

Vietnam was an unwinnable war from the time US involvement started. Unlike Kim Il-Sung in Korea (a Chinese-raised guerilla who hadn't set foot in Korea for almost three decades when he was put in charge of the Soviet occupied zone), Ho Chi Minh was a genuine national hero for kicking out the French. Unlike Syngman Rhee in Korea (a near-fascist brute, but one who had been actively fighting Japan his entire life and had previous leadership roles in Korea before being picked to lead the American occupied zone), the leadership of South Vietnam (after 1963) was a fractured patchwork of coups and counter-coups held together by not very much. In any fair election, the country would have been reunified under Ho Chi Minh and everybody knew it.

Even ignoring this untenable political situation, the military situation was also untenable. Much has been made of the stupid way the US conducted the war, but this was fundamentally caused by geopolitical concerns - the measures needed to actually prosecute the war with a chance of success would have come very close to open warfare with the Soviet Union, which was a risk nobody was willing to take. At a tactical level US forces often did quite well, but wars are not won solely (or even primarily) on the battlefield.

Vietnam was a result of the US blundering into a war that should never have been fought and straight up could not be won.

Blaming the M16 was just one of the many excuses people came up with to say "well, we didn't really lose!". It is true that the new rifle had serious growing pains, most of them not due to the fundamental design. Some were the result of cost-cutting (parts that were intended to be chromed had the chroming omitted to save money), others because Colt and Armalite weren't given enough warning to make changes in response to other changes (the loading for the ammunition changed - the cheaper and more energetic powder was also dirtier (exacerbated by the omitted chrome), and the barrel rifling didn't stabilize the altered round properly), and some were stupidity that bordered on (and may have been, from people who didn't want to change to the "Mattel Rifle") outright sabotage (troops were told that the rifle did not need cleaned, and no cleaning kits were issued). None of this fundamentally mattered for the course of the war, and most were fixed fairly early on.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50455 on: February 22, 2023, 04:43:53 pm »

He should have just introduced a bill to repeal the NFA if he wanted to make a symbolic gesture; such a bill wouldn't have considerably less chance of making it through a Democrat-controlled Senate.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50456 on: February 22, 2023, 04:46:53 pm »

He should have just introduced a bill to repeal the NFA if he wanted to make a symbolic gesture; such a bill wouldn't have considerably less chance of making it through a Democrat-controlled Senate.
Republicans have already introduced those bill(s).  Representative Asshat wanted to do something that would get his name in the newspaper as different.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50457 on: February 22, 2023, 04:57:52 pm »

Republicans have already introduced those bill(s).  Representative Asshat wanted to do something that would get his name in the newspaper as different.
I guess he was late to the party then. I'm sure his constituents will still be able to rest easy knowing that the liberals have been thoroughly triggered (this is probably true) and that will make them satisfied enough to think that things are looking up in the world.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #50458 on: February 26, 2023, 12:43:39 am »

https://theintercept.com/2023/02/24/st-louis-missouri-police-department/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No taxation without representation? Security state wants those $
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #50459 on: February 26, 2023, 01:43:09 am »

‘Tain’t money, it’s oversight. Would you rather be dictated to by some libtard pussy who won’t let you shoot first and ask questions never because the suspect you didn’t identify yourself to is now full of extra holes, or the guy who’ll probably give you military surplus if you ask real nice, and help you justify you and 17 of your buddies tag-teaming a kerb-stomping ‘cause th perp smelled of weed?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 3362 3363 [3364] 3365 3366 ... 3568