Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3327 3328 [3329] 3330 3331 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231005 times)

LadyBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Used to be LordBrassroast
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49920 on: November 09, 2022, 01:58:33 pm »

Due to pervasive gerrymandering, mostly

The R candidate for Governor straight up admitted that if he was elected, Republicans would never lose another election in WI. Ds outvote Rs by thousands of votes in WI and still lose the State House due to entirely screwed districting.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49921 on: November 09, 2022, 01:59:43 pm »

That’s what happens when you let the person who wants the largest piece of the pie to cut up the pie.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49922 on: November 09, 2022, 02:11:20 pm »

Whilst I am glad that the 'red wave' didn't materialise, one thing that does remain wary is the way that neither red nor blue waves have materialised in the last few elections in the USA. Neither side can dent into the other. Instead it's only increasing geographical digging in, the Blue largely gets Bluer and the Red largely gets Redder and it's only some wiggling at the edges that can ever happen.

That degree of geographical polorization is...not exactly good for the prospects of a country not breaking out into Civil War.
If things ever go violent in America, it won't be like the last American civil war. It'll probably resemble the Troubles where people will carry out a constant state of low-level warfare and intimidation, complete with politicians calling for vague "action" directed at their opponents

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49923 on: November 09, 2022, 02:27:42 pm »

complete with politicians calling for vague "action" directed at their opponents
"Community leaders, Vimes thought. There'd been a lot of talk about community leaders lately, as in 'community leaders appealed for calm', a phrase the Times used so often that the printers probably left it set in type. Vimes wondered who they were, and how they were appointed and, sometimes, if 'appealing for calm' meant winking and saying 'Do not use those shiny new battle-axes in that cupboard over there... No, not that one, the other one.'"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49924 on: November 09, 2022, 02:33:44 pm »

"Community leaders, Vimes thought. There'd been a lot of talk about community leaders lately, as in 'community leaders appealed for calm', a phrase the Times used so often that the printers probably left it set in type. Vimes wondered who they were, and how they were appointed and, sometimes, if 'appealing for calm' meant winking and saying 'Do not use those shiny new battle-axes in that cupboard over there... No, not that one, the other one.'"
Oh man that reminds me when I read a story in the papers about someone who was receiving death threats, and the papers included the man's address

There's no way you do that by accident

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49925 on: November 10, 2022, 02:05:32 am »

So…

According to the Beeb, Colorado District 3, Boebert’s seat, has 95% of the votes counted. Boebert trails by 64 votes.

Related, I can’t help but think of this when I hear the name.

Also related, there’s an episode in which it tries to kill all intelligent life on the planet, which ties back in with Boebert.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49926 on: November 10, 2022, 05:51:38 am »

Are you winning, buds?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #49927 on: November 10, 2022, 10:14:47 am »

If things ever go violent in America, it won't be like the last American civil war. It'll probably resemble the Troubles where people will carry out a constant state of low-level warfare and intimidation, complete with politicians calling for vague "action" directed at their opponents

One could make the argument that the American Troubles has already begun, it's just whether it continues to grow in size or gets cut off early enough to not go down as that in history yet at this point.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 10:17:11 am by MorleyDev »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49928 on: November 10, 2022, 12:36:02 pm »

Well as I thought, democrats were brutal against republicans. But actually even MORE than I thought we'd be lol.

This is good, cause republicans were gonna stop the ukraine war pretty much, and likely just bend the knee to china if they end up going for taiwan (they keep saying they are preparing for war, but its starting to sound like he is a copy of the north korea guy, all bark no bite xD)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49929 on: November 10, 2022, 01:12:42 pm »

This is good, cause republicans were gonna stop the ukraine war pretty much
I thought it were the democrats who penned that letter a while ago.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49930 on: November 10, 2022, 01:19:29 pm »

The 'funny' thing is if you read the letter it's basically a mealy-mouthed nothingburger, yet the release spun it terribly and the whole process for the letter was done terribly.

(It was initially drafted back in late June when the war was looking somewhat different, then got lost in a corner, then was randomly dredged back up for some unspecified reason with tiny edits and new signers, without notifying the initial signers.)

Still a really dumb thing, don't get me wrong, but it's not all it was described to be. Meanwhile on the R side the new incoming House leadership and relevant (again House) committee leadership is against more aid outright.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49931 on: November 10, 2022, 01:43:14 pm »

This is good, cause republicans were gonna stop the ukraine war pretty much
I thought it were the democrats who penned that letter a while ago.

As said, the letter was written in June, when the war wasn't going nearly as well for Ukraine, and there was a very real possibility that Russia was going to be in a position to force a punitive peace. In such a context, the actual text of the letter (linked above) makes a lot more sense. Most of the Squad has been generally solid on supporting the actual aid bills.

There's a large cluster in the GOP (and especially in the GOP candidates, many of whom lost) that was going "NO MORE AID! AMERICA FIRST!" - bringing the comparisons to Czechoslovakia 1938 full circle with a brand new crop of Useful Idiots.

EDIT: Forgot the comment I came to this thread to make! One of the most important takes from this election is that pretty much every candidate conceded at the first opportunity once the election was called by the media. No large-scale declarations of fraud (a couple came, probably a couple more, but they're very clearly not gaining traction), no demands for recounts, no Just Asking Questions (again, on any real scale). This despite the opposition having the worst midterm since at least 2002 (when Bush II got a big boost from post-9/11 rally-round-the flag - the last time Democrats did this well in a midterm was 1998), and despite the majority of the Stop The Steal candidates losing. This is a very important sign that things are returning to normal, politically speaking.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 01:54:23 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49932 on: November 10, 2022, 02:15:42 pm »

One thing that I'm legitimately wondering right now is whether deplatforming Trump helped reduce the anger... I know some folks in DC are trying to find a good explanation for things so far, so maybe we'll get a better picture later.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49933 on: November 10, 2022, 02:55:26 pm »

This is a very important sign that things are returning to normal, politically speaking.

Let's hope. Really a question of if Trump is able to run in 2024 or not, or if some other figurehead emerges to convince people democracy is worth throwing out just so they can win.

And let's also not forget...all the really scary elements of nationalism and racism and anti-democratic leanings didn't disappear overnight. They're still there and still strategizing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49934 on: November 10, 2022, 04:47:40 pm »

Keep an eye on that Supreme Court.
I consume