Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3325 3326 [3327] 3328 3329 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231149 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49890 on: November 08, 2022, 02:40:15 pm »

I think there's going to be a lot of contested elections in several states. So I would prepare for a lot of uncertainty for a few weeks afterward at a minimum.

Which, depending on political goals, some might count as a win. One the best ways to "prove" to the public that democracy is broken is to fuck up the execution of it so bad that the ability to govern soundly breaks down. When daily governance breaks down enough, people start acting in ways they "have to." Both at the citizen and elected official level, those are the noises people will start making. And whoever is in power when they declare that the system has broken down is now ruling by default.

The new Congress doesn't take office until January for this exact reason. The idea of knowing all the outcomes on Election Night is a very new one. Like, within living memory new. Having to wait weeks to find out who won is a normal and expected result, which the system is built around.

Under normal circumstances that's enough time. These are not normal times though, and a greater proportion of those ratifying and certifying the votes have flat out said they'll only accept an outcome they like. That means litigation, which means delays.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49891 on: November 08, 2022, 11:50:23 pm »

I suppose if this is the worst I hear about from tonight it won't be so bad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/yq41ir/im_at_a_polling_location_at_wainwright_elementary/ivmitw1/

This was the most surreal experience I've ever had voting.

The judge was just sitting there, pretending to shuffle papers and refusing to sign any ballots.

The poll workers went to ask her about the delay and came back to tell us that she said she was "doing paperwork" and she was refusing to sign ballots.

The poll workers said she was adament about "shutting the doors at 7" despite the line going out the door and down the block.

People started asking what paperwork she was working on, and the poll workers shrugged with confusion.

People in line started getting louder with our inquiries and protests. Eventually people started yelling directly at the judge. Asking her why she wasn't signing ballots and she just pretended like she didn't hear us.

Further in the sheriff is called and people eventually did get to vote.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49892 on: November 08, 2022, 11:52:16 pm »

Why am I not fucking surprised, of course my state would be involved in shit like this. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

LadyBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Used to be LordBrassroast
    • View Profile
« Reply #49893 on: November 08, 2022, 11:59:55 pm »

Maggie Hassan just beat Bolduc's ass on live television

She's leading in Carroll County for god's sakes

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49894 on: November 09, 2022, 12:27:12 am »

It looks like there's no red wave whatsoever and it's possible that Dems will retain control of at least one chamber of Congress.

Fuck the New York Times.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LadyBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Used to be LordBrassroast
    • View Profile
« Reply #49895 on: November 09, 2022, 12:31:59 am »

Oh Dems are absolutely keeping the Senate

Fetterman, Hassan won, Warnock's headed for a runoff which is eh, Kelly looks to be doing alright so far

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49896 on: November 09, 2022, 01:50:11 am »

LIB DEM SURGE! REPUBLICAN FLOP!
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49897 on: November 09, 2022, 01:51:45 am »

Ay looks like Tony Evers retains the governorship in Wisconsin.

Boo looks like Ron Johnson is on track to retain his senate seat in Wisconsin, though it’s like 50.7% to 49.2% with 92% of ballots counted.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49898 on: November 09, 2022, 02:07:53 am »

goodBYE Kari Lake.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49899 on: November 09, 2022, 05:45:55 am »

So, not to be on the nose but, is this like "The Epic Final Stand" for you guys?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49900 on: November 09, 2022, 05:58:14 am »

Oh Dems are absolutely keeping the Senate

Fetterman, Hassan won, Warnock's headed for a runoff which is eh, Kelly looks to be doing alright so far

Still possible for Warnock to win outright, but if there's a runoff it is very unlikely that he'll lose. Focus and funding will be shone directly on the race, and the runoff is between the top two only. Chase Oliver will have been eliminated. Walker's benefited a lot from louder and more obnoxious candidates taking the spotlight, but next month he'll have nobody to hide behind.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49901 on: November 09, 2022, 08:11:17 am »

Runoff = re-election duel between top choices?
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49902 on: November 09, 2022, 08:25:04 am »

Yeah. It isn't a thing in every state, but Georgia requires it if no candidate has an outright majority.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49903 on: November 09, 2022, 08:25:52 am »

The French way
Love, scriver~

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #49904 on: November 09, 2022, 09:19:18 am »

Whilst I am glad that the 'red wave' didn't materialise, one thing that does remain wary is the way that neither red nor blue waves have materialised in the last few elections in the USA. Neither side can dent into the other. Instead it's only increasing geographical digging in, the Blue largely gets Bluer and the Red largely gets Redder and it's only some wiggling at the edges that can ever happen.

That degree of geographical polorization is...not exactly good for the prospects of a country not breaking out into Civil War.
Pages: 1 ... 3325 3326 [3327] 3328 3329 ... 3567