Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3112 3113 [3114] 3115 3116 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4201747 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46695 on: November 04, 2021, 06:34:40 am »

4th amendment specifically has connotations with satire, and with works of parody.

Otherwise, we would have the problem China has with Xi'nny the Pooh.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #46696 on: November 04, 2021, 06:58:51 am »

What would you get arrested for in America if you did just that? Or if you went onto the streets and shouted "I HATE <insert slur>!" repeatedly at the top of your lungs?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46697 on: November 04, 2021, 07:02:04 am »

In the former case, you'd be giving the USSS grounds to see if you have the ability to carry out said threats, but they wouldn't have much to go on if they can't find any evidence you intend to do so.
In the latter case, you'd get shot or punched in the face.

You might get picked up for public nuisance or disorderly conduct in either case.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46698 on: November 04, 2021, 07:02:28 am »

In the US, it is illegal to threaten the president or members on capitol hill with violence or harm.

EG,

"I will fucking kill Joe Biden."  can get you arrested.

However, wearing an oversized pair of depends undergarments into which you have poured a gallon of water, and a chocolate pudding cup, while wearing a suit and tie, and a Joe Biden mask, while waking around capitol hill asking if you know where his house is, is totally legal.

Shouting profanities in public of any kind will likely get you brought to the police station on charges of disturbing the peace, and if you resist that action, charged with resisting arrest also.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46699 on: November 04, 2021, 11:09:32 am »

Seems sensible enough. Now on your point, misinformation can always be passed down as entertainment? I think it should not, regardless of the source. I mean news should be news, just known facts and data handled to the people. You want to spin it from a point of view? That is why editorials or opinion programs exists imho.

Its sad that news outlets are just another entertainment venue and not impartial sources of relevant information on current events.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 05:56:59 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46700 on: November 04, 2021, 12:26:27 pm »

A) News is 24/7 now so a lot of time needs to be filled with bullshit.  Slow news week is a market failure.

B) Outrage sells better than facts do.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46701 on: November 04, 2021, 12:29:10 pm »

Or if you went onto the streets and shouted "I HATE <insert slur>!" repeatedly at the top of your lungs?

Honestly we have a lot of homeless people who yell locally, some about how much they hate whoever. I would say that nothing much happens.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46702 on: November 04, 2021, 03:23:18 pm »

Over here, yelling "I hate <insert subject name>" is fine, but "you should hate <insert subject name>" is hatespeech and a punishable offense
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46703 on: November 06, 2021, 10:56:00 am »

Back more directly to US Politics, the $1.2 trillion compromise on infrastructure is heading to Biden for his signature, having finally passed the House.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46704 on: November 06, 2021, 12:14:44 pm »

Which infrastructure is going to be improved first? From what one can see on movies, social media and "news" sources your roads, water, gas and electricity are very good. Or is to further improve them over all?

Maybe you finally get a grid of public ran hospitals funded by a portion of the annual budget and/or local taxes? Here they dont work at all but in places like Canada or Colombia they do work wonders, relatively speaking. I found this on my research of the escape plan.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 12:16:36 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46705 on: November 06, 2021, 12:23:59 pm »

Which infrastructure is going to be improved first? From what one can see on movies, social media and "news" sources your roads, water, gas and electricity are very good. Or is to further improve them over all?

Maybe you finally get a grid of public ran hospitals funded by a portion of the annual budget and/or local taxes? Here they dont work at all but in places like Canada or Colombia they do work wonders, relatively speaking. I found this on my research of the escape plan.

I mean, in order... our roads are a massive pothole-filled maintenance hog, Flint exists, dunno about the natural gas situation, the Texas power grid exists. So that's 3/4 cases where I can definitely say our infrastructure is a drunken shitshow, and it could be 4-for-4 if I knew for sure how function our gas system is (though given the Texas winter fuckery was in part thanks to even the gas power plants having problems, I'd lean towards "not great" as a wild-ass guess).
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #46706 on: November 06, 2021, 12:34:06 pm »

Lotta bridges showing their age, from the bit I've read. Remember that one out by Minneapolis that collapsed a few years back?

I'm guessing most of the green energy stuff didn't make it into this bill?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #46707 on: November 06, 2021, 02:13:21 pm »

I think there is money for electric vehicle charging stations in the infrastructure bill that passed. There is still the Build Back Better on the To Do list, and that is the one that looks to require the reconciliation process to pass with 50 Democrat votes. The filibuster prevents it unless enough Republicans vote for it in the Senate to overcome the filibuster. There has also been talk about modifying the filibuster rules in very specific instances, especially when it comes to voting protections bills, but reconciliation is the most potential avenue for the Build Back Better bill.

The reconciliation bill text that has been released had some neat stuff about $2000 or $4000 for energy efficiency home upgrades or $8000 for households under 80% of the area median income. $500,000,000 for training including online courses on installing home energy efficiency upgrades. All kinds of grants to states and organizations to distribute. A very large chunk of funding aimed directly at rural areas too.

The text for H.R. Reconciliation, though this version is from late September and changes have been discussed in the news since.
https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/hr5376/generated/BILLS-117hr5376rh.html

EDIT: I think these are new and not amending existing law but not 100% sure; I've noticed that amended laws are mentioned as such so I will make the assumption recklessly.

It's also great for landlords; each unit applies up to a cap. I think these can be combined with existing state grants to households. For example, an estimate for a solar panel energy supply system has about a 20 year payoff in my state. This is because when solar was becoming more affordable in the mid 2000s, in my state a the power utility(s) convinced the (Republican controlled) state congress to pass laws capping how much energy surplus can be provided back to the grid by a home setup. The result is that solar panel in homes are essentially nonexistant and rarely seen outside of state buildings. Right now, the main value of solar panels in the state seems to be that installation increases home value even with the 20 year payoff in energy and assumption of risk.

Here is a neat trick: hit Control + f and it opens a search panel on your browser that you can find keywords such as "rural", "energy eff", "clean water", "cybersec", or whatever topic you think may be in the bill.

Spoiler: Wildfire. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:05:11 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46708 on: November 06, 2021, 02:39:31 pm »

Our roads, water, gas and electricity are all pretty shit in a lot of places, actually. Rolling brown outs in major cities, shit like what happened in texas last year, regular issues with contamination in water (places in this country you can light the fucking tap water on fire, on bad days) as well as looming issues with water supply, pervasive under maintenance of road and bridge ways, major lack of hardening against climate/weather issues in many places, spotty internet infrastructure in many parts of the country... the list just kinda' goes on, we've been kicking infrastructure cans down the road in chunks of the US all my goddamn life.

Don't recall the specifics of the one that's going/gone through, though. Lot of stuff's shifted around, and until it's actually signed and done (which I think it isn't quite there, yet, on the smaller one?) it's hard to say exactly what's in it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46709 on: November 06, 2021, 02:51:31 pm »

tbh like a good 50% of this plan's budget's going to graft for contractors.  That's mostly why the infrastructures so shit to begin with.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 3112 3113 [3114] 3115 3116 ... 3566