Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3114 3115 [3116] 3117 3118 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4201741 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46725 on: November 08, 2021, 06:11:55 pm »

Things aren't nearly as rosy for Rittenhouse as that. The only person who was shot and survived just testified, and (despite media reports to the contrary) makes it pretty clear that he was no real threat at the time.

"I thought that the defendant was an active shooter," he said. "Anytime you bring a firearm into that equation, the stakes are much higher for both serious injury and death."

As he approached, Rittenhouse was confronted by Anthony Huber, who struck him with a skateboard. Rittenhouse shot Huber in the chest, killing the-26 year-old.

Grosskreutz had drawn his gun, holding the pistol in his right hand and his cellphone in his left. He testified that he did not draw the gun "with the express intent of using it" but rather to be "ready" if he felt that it was necessary.

Then, Rittenhouse turned his rifle on Grosskreutz. Asked what he thought at that moment, Grosskreutz replied, "that I was going to die."

Video evidence shows Grosskreutz stopping and raising his hands, his pistol pointing in the air. Grosskreutz testified that he saw Rittenhouse re-rack his rifle to load a new round into the chamber.

"In that moment, I felt that I had to do something to try to prevent myself from being killed or being shot," Grosskreutz testified. "I decided the best course of action would be to close the distance between the defendant and I, and from there, I don't know ... wrestling the gun, detaining the defendant, I don't know ... I do know that I was never trying to kill the defendant."

Of equal importance, the guy who owns the car dealership that Rittenhouse was "defending" has testified that he did not authorize any defense. Which removes the main fig leaf the defense is using. Meanwhile, surveilance footage shows Rittenhouse chasing down a fleeing victim and arguably shooting him in the back.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46726 on: November 08, 2021, 07:08:11 pm »

I dunno. Consider American juries. The fact anyone was brandishing a weapon there besides Rittenhouse will be enough to convince those looking to be convinced that it was an "equal contest." (Because armed confrontations between citizens is exactly the fantasy world some are living in right now.)

Once that basic criterion is established, it will be used as the logical justification for what came after and the "heat of the moment." We've reached the point in America where someone choosing to go to to an unstable situation with a weapon and looking to be a hero is going to be afforded an unreasonable amount of forgiveness for heinous things they did along the way by some segment of the population. Sorta how cops get a pass for shooting innocent bystanders in shootouts because of "the pressure they're under." I would not be at all surprised if his defense tries to paint him in the same light. That anyone killed was collateral damage and it's acceptable given what was happening at the time. Even though the idea that one guy's life and his decision to get involved somehow has more legal and ethical weight than the many he unjustly killed sickens me.

"In that moment, I felt that I had to do something to try to prevent myself from being killed or being shot," Grosskreutz testified. "I decided the best course of action would be to close the distance between the defendant and I, and from there, I don't know ... wrestling the gun, detaining the defendant, I don't know ... I do know that I was never trying to kill the defendant."

This really isn't going to do it. There's a riot, there's weapons on both sides, both sides are brandishing, physical violence has already happened, someone has already been shot. It's a chaotic situation and what was in people's minds at the time cannot generally be known, and will be nigh on impossible to prove given everything going on at that scene.

Because yeah, once you're in a gun fight chances are the untrained are going to shoot anything that moves. Particularly if that thing has a firearm. The vigilante has no responsibility to anything except their own sense of self-preservation and their own ideals. Which is why the whole idea of arming the entire US populace is just completely insane, for exactly this reason. Even if a "good guy with a gun" manages to prevent a crime because of their weapon, if they kill innocent bystanders in the process because it's complete chaos then their involvement is a fucking wash at worst and should be 3rd degree murder at best.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 07:20:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46727 on: November 08, 2021, 09:32:52 pm »

Who knew that, in highly-charged intense political situations, everyone walking around with guns and pointing them at each other leads to people getting shot.

Rittenhouse is an idiot and a provocateur for going somewhere looking for a gun fight, and the people he shot are idiots for bringing a gun to a destructive riot.

Throw them all in fucking prison.
The fuck are you talking about?

He shot people protesting, HE brought a gun and tried to incite a riot and murdered people.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46728 on: November 08, 2021, 09:36:02 pm »

protesting is actually threatening violence, to which the only appropriate response is murder
Black lives matter.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46729 on: November 08, 2021, 10:13:58 pm »

Who knew that, in highly-charged intense political situations, everyone walking around with guns and pointing them at each other leads to people getting shot.

Rittenhouse is an idiot and a provocateur for going somewhere looking for a gun fight, and the people he shot are idiots for bringing a gun to a destructive riot.

The fuck are you talking about?

He shot people protesting, HE brought a gun and tried to incite a riot and murdered people.

At one point, he was chased into a used car lot by Joseph Rosenbaum, 36, who threw a plastic bag at Mr. Rittenhouse. Mr. Rittenhouse fatally shot Mr. Rosenbaum and ran away, in the direction of the armored vehicles where police officers and National Guardsmen were stationed. Several members of the crowd pursued Mr. Rittenhouse and he shot two of them, killing Anthony Huber, 26, and wounding Gaige Grosskreutz, who was 26 at the time.

That is what he claims. What are you claiming, exactly?
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46730 on: November 08, 2021, 10:53:27 pm »

At one point, he was chased into a used car lot by Joseph Rosenbaum, 36, who threw a plastic bag at Mr. Rittenhouse.

Oh shit, my bad. Didn't know one of those thugs had a plastic bag on him. With a weapon as dangerous as that it's no wonder poor Kyle had to utilize his (comparatively ineffective) Smith & Wesson M&P15 semiautomatic rifle in what is clearly justifiable self-defense.
Black lives matter.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #46731 on: November 09, 2021, 03:07:30 am »

I've seen people claiming that the bag was on fire, but I'm about 90% that's bullshit.

Anyway, I came across a pretty decent breakdown of the timeline of the shootings over on the Reddits.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46732 on: November 09, 2021, 05:38:45 am »

If someone reaches you and grabs your gun, they suddenly have a very deadly weapon. And considering there were testimonies of Rosenbaum saying that he was going to kill Rittenhouse, I don't see this not being declared as self defense.

The real problem here is that any gun-nut could imitate this. Bring a loaded rifle to protests, get in people's faces, and if any of the hundreds of protestors happens to chase you, you get an excuse to use your gun. There should be SOME legal repercussions.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46733 on: November 09, 2021, 06:18:20 am »

I could see some sort of high-order culpability. - If he insists he was just doing the authorities' work for them, Gross Negligence In Office, perhaps(!)

Anyway, don't diss the plastic bags as weapons. They can kill turtles, and turtles are armed with various blades and fighting staffs!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46734 on: November 09, 2021, 07:19:26 am »

This. All people involved went out looking for blood, all for the wrong reasons. They knew very well what they were doing or going to do. All of them, going out to a protest armed, even if just with a stick or a stone, were idiots going out with the intention of killing their countrymen, their people, their own brothers, just for some fucker politicians exacerbating people for their own ends.

Two wrongs dont make a right, ever.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46735 on: November 09, 2021, 07:39:02 am »

That's a position to hold if you want to criminalize all protests and most large gatherings forever, I guess. There's always some armed folks in those, plus it drops the amount of evidence cops need to plant to arrest a group of people down to basically nothing, which would no doubt have them cheerfully salivating.

I'd probably be more comfortable just criminalizing murder and whatnot, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46736 on: November 09, 2021, 08:35:53 am »

Im not against protests frumple, as you migth know or not, I participated in my fair share of them here.

I'm against going out in the streets armed with the intention of killing an stranger.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46737 on: November 09, 2021, 11:24:03 am »

Lord Baal articulated it for me. People were there to fight. That doesn't excuse Rittenhouse, but it doesn't necessarily absolve anyone else either. Everyone brandishing a weapon there deserves to be in jail because they all helped contribute to what happened. Rittenhouse is simply King Shit of Poop Mountain.

From that Reddit post:

unknown gunshot is fired in air
    Rosenbaum lunged at Rittenhouse and attempted to take his rifle. Kyle kills him.
    Kyle runs to secondary location (about 10 minutes pass)
    Kyle falls on ground, is kicked by a man.
    Kyle shoots at the man twice, but misses
    Anthony Huber hits Kyle with a skateboard and tries to take his gun
    Kyle kills him.
    Gaige Grosskreutz approaches Kyle.
    Kyle points gun at Gaige but does not shoot.
    Kyle turns away
    Gaige draws gun and points at Kyle.
    Kyle shoots him (but not killing him)
    Kyle runs away

By the time the last victim was shot, shit was already wildly out of hand, and Rittenhouse had already been assaulted and killed someone. At this point it's like trying to prosecute someone for what they did in a combat situation. Except he's a civilian and he chose to be there.

Like I said. He deserves to be in jail. As do many of the other people there. But he did not roll up on a peaceful protest and open fire, which is how some people are trying to paint this.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 11:27:14 am by nenjin »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46738 on: November 09, 2021, 12:20:23 pm »

Maybe simply refrain from bringing a lethal weapon to a peaceful protest in the first place. What moron introduces the possibility of deadly force to a peaceful demonstration for no reason and then plays the victim when this inevitably results in someone else’s death?
Black lives matter.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46739 on: November 09, 2021, 01:54:48 pm »

Maybe simply refrain from bringing a lethal weapon to a peaceful protest in the first place. What moron introduces the possibility of deadly force to a peaceful demonstration for no reason and then plays the victim when this inevitably results in someone else’s death?

This can unironically be applied to both sides.
Pages: 1 ... 3114 3115 [3116] 3117 3118 ... 3566