Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3113 3114 [3115] 3116 3117 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4201478 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46710 on: November 06, 2021, 03:11:02 pm »

Don't recall the specifics of the one that's going/gone through, though. Lot of stuff's shifted around, and until it's actually signed and done (which I think it isn't quite there, yet, on the smaller one?) it's hard to say exactly what's in it.

The bill is finalized and through Congress. Don't know if Biden's formally signed it yet, but it's done.

Breakdown (according to CNN)

$110 billion for roads, bridges and major infrastructure projects.
 $39 billion to modernize public transit
$65 billion investment in improving the nation's broadband infrastructure,
$17 billion in port infrastructure and $25 billion in airports
$7.5 billion for zero- and low-emission buses and ferries
$7.5 billion to building a nationwide network of plug-in electric vehicle chargers
$65 billion to rebuild the electric grid
$55 billion to upgrade water infrastructure
$50 billion would go toward making the system more resilient
$21 billion to clean up Superfund and brownfield sites, reclaim abandoned mine land and cap orphaned gas wells
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46711 on: November 06, 2021, 03:13:31 pm »

Well, I posted a twitter link about it. This is far more official and legit source. China is trying to say nothing is going on and all that, but why so many military going toward taiwan if that is the case

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/chinas-actions-show-early-signs-of-taiwan-invasion/news-story/fae1fb19b5f1e1128d916cf3c051cf88

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46712 on: November 06, 2021, 03:37:12 pm »

What if, Biden comes from the future, time travel and war trauma accounts for his occasional strange speech patterns and this bill just passed if for rebuild the whole infraestructure after world war 2, electric boogalo???
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46713 on: November 06, 2021, 04:52:33 pm »

What if, Biden comes from the future, time travel and war trauma accounts for his occasional strange speech patterns and this bill just passed if for rebuild the whole infraestructure after world war 2, electric boogalo???
I'm living with someone that served during that one, silly. That was nearly a century ago. You're thinking WW3, tech trauma tango.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46714 on: November 06, 2021, 04:55:28 pm »

The bill is finalized and through Congress. Don't know if Biden's formally signed it yet, but it's done.

Breakdown (according to CNN)

$110 billion for roads, bridges and major infrastructure projects.
 $39 billion to modernize public transit
$65 billion investment in improving the nation's broadband infrastructure,
$17 billion in port infrastructure and $25 billion in airports
$7.5 billion for zero- and low-emission buses and ferries
$7.5 billion to building a nationwide network of plug-in electric vehicle chargers
$65 billion to rebuild the electric grid
$55 billion to upgrade water infrastructure
$50 billion would go toward making the system more resilient
$21 billion to clean up Superfund and brownfield sites, reclaim abandoned mine land and cap orphaned gas wells
Ah, cheers for that. Probably woefully insufficient, but it's a damn sight more than the fuckall that was happening last administration, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #46715 on: November 06, 2021, 05:19:42 pm »

Which infrastructure is going to be improved first? From what one can see on movies, social media and "news" sources your roads, water, gas and electricity are very good. Or is to further improve them over all?

tbh like a good 50% of this plan's budget's going to graft for contractors.  That's mostly why the infrastructures so shit to begin with.

It funds a lot of things that are necessary to be funded, but alas for most of the subject of the bill I don't find myself knowing enough to say they are funded correctly or not. The one exception is perhaps the $65 billion in internet cable expansion. A noble goal and one I fully support, especially expansion in unserved areas, but there are a myriad of problems with the current system that don't seem to be addressed unless there are simply no summaries on that part yet.

I didn't go through the bill text in much detail on the bill that passed today, but the major complaint I had about a relatively modest portion of the  $1.5 trillion infrastructure bill, was the internet cable laying financed by the federal government. I don't know enough about the other things in the bill to think I personally could issue an opinion of use on those.

I haven't found any search results of summaries saying the new fiber will be owned by the government paying for it, or that the government is requiring the government funded cable/fiber to be open to competition at least, or that the process has even changed, so it seems likely (without actually looking in the passed bill itself yet) to be the same.

Here is a free book about previous attempts to expand access to cable and now fiber internet that I found along the way of a search to see to if there were any changes.

http://irregulators.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/BookofBrokenPromises.pdf

Here is a post (from four years ago on a similar topic) by the author talking about what happened with the last $200 billion the cable companies received for fiber.

The free book is hosted on an interesting website. It's the first I've heard of this group but at a quick look at their website it appears to be aimed at removing corporate influence on government regulation of their business, notably regarding the FCC and telecom corps.

They have a nice link library, including a recent section I haven't read but whose title I like: The Case to Break up Big Telecom & Cable, April 2021
http://irregulators.org/reading-library/

Misc Related link:
https://themarkup.org/ask-the-markup/2021/09/28/whats-missing-from-the-infrastructure-bills-65-billion-broadband-plan

From the last link:
The Federal Communications Commission, the office tasked with regulating telecommunications services, has used a speed of at least 25 megabits per second (Mbps) download and 3 Mbps upload speed as a benchmark for broadband service since 2015.

Related image 6 years later:

Use this converter to easily convert between MegaBytes per Second and MegaBits per Second (MB/s and Mbps).
1MB/s = 8.3886 Mbps
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 06:08:39 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46716 on: November 07, 2021, 12:36:39 pm »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46717 on: November 07, 2021, 01:40:31 pm »

I think that Texas bill is awful in about every sense of the word.  The financial incentives for people to penalize each other is not even subtle - it's basically "haha we know that people would rather get some MONEY instead of being nice to each other, so we are going to use that to push our particular agenda!"
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46718 on: November 08, 2021, 10:46:09 am »

One of the Capitol sturmers, Evan Neumann from California, has requested political asylum in Belarus to escape prosecution by the FBI, after being arrested for illegally crossing the border with Ukraine. The Belarus state television has made a triumphant reportage about it.

According to the FBI, he indeed faces persecution, not just for storming the capitol, but also for punching a police officer.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46719 on: November 08, 2021, 11:18:08 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:39:08 am by dragdeler »
let

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46720 on: November 08, 2021, 03:16:17 pm »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46721 on: November 08, 2021, 04:08:25 pm »

Welp. I guess that's that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46722 on: November 08, 2021, 04:08:56 pm »

Looks like that boy is going to walk free of murder charges.
He's still a moron, to say the least, for going out there armed with an assault rifle though.
I hope they can still stick manslaughter charges to him.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46723 on: November 08, 2021, 04:27:39 pm »

I think the best that the prosecution can get is a $200 fine for breaking curfew.

Maybe possession if the defense can't get the long-barrel exception for 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds in 948.60(3)(c) into the jury instructions.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46724 on: November 08, 2021, 04:49:04 pm »

Who knew that, in highly-charged intense political situations, everyone walking around with guns and pointing them at each other leads to people getting shot.

Rittenhouse is an idiot and a provocateur for going somewhere looking for a gun fight, and the people he shot are idiots for bringing a gun to a destructive riot.

Throw them all in fucking prison.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3113 3114 [3115] 3116 3117 ... 3566