Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2969 2970 [2971] 2972 2973 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4222665 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44550 on: March 25, 2021, 08:20:34 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #44551 on: March 26, 2021, 02:26:17 am »

There's a difference between behavior and sexuality.
Of course, and both are subordinate to the will with enough effort. :)

There aren't any shortcuts, though. You do have to go through the whole process of moving the Overton window. Find a point on the spectrum where you feel like "okay, this isn't so bad," then get accustomed to it (and move on to the new point). Many young weeby types these days do it with trap manga.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that unless you can provide a peer reviewed, conclusive, well-conducted study supporting the idea that any person can voluntarily change their sexuality it sits comfortably in the realm of "conjectures contradicting the current consensus". If it was as simple as you say, you wouldn't hear all the stories of gay men spending decades in loveless marriages attempting to be straight. And conversion therapy would work, especially for the people who don't want to be gay.

This is of course an aside to the whole paedophile discussion, to which I would like to contribute a note that I don't think "shun and kill" is ever a healthy response to anything; individuals that can't fit safely into society are to be pitied and helped, not murdered. Not least because it's rarely actually their fault in any conscious sense.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44552 on: March 26, 2021, 03:20:06 am »

If it was as simple as you say, you wouldn't hear all the stories of gay men spending decades in loveless marriages attempting to be straight. And conversion therapy would work, especially for the people who don't want to be gay.
Well, neither of those is the right way to do it. Sexuality absolutely is fluid, but it also can't just be moved directly from point A to point B by main force.

ETA: Also, though I can't confirm this part, I think you probably have to start from a position of acceptance of your current state before you can move it. You'd have to be comfortable with what you currently like in order to find the edges of the distribution honestly. "People who don't want to be gay" aren't going to be able to perform the basic step of starting with something you're currently marginally attracted to and getting comfortable with it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 03:24:06 am by Maximum Spin »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #44553 on: March 26, 2021, 03:24:39 am »

While that stance sounds reasonable it continues to not be the citation that is needed.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44554 on: March 26, 2021, 03:30:28 am »

I kinda hope that the 200000 voters in Georgia that do not have a driver's license start a mass lawsuit against the state to demand the state pays driving lessons and a driver's license for them so they retain their constitutional right to vote.

Ofcourse, blind people and people with other disabilities that make driving impossible should just get the driver's license without needing lessons first.

How is it even legally possible to demand a driver's license to be able to vote? What's wrong with a passport / ID card?

EDIT: geesh, that whole package of voting law changes in Georgia.. It looks more like a declaration of independence than voting law changes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 03:34:39 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44555 on: March 26, 2021, 03:34:57 am »

While that stance sounds reasonable it continues to not be the citation that is needed.
You'd be amazed how many true things are not the subject of peer-reviewed studies!

Look, I don't want to get into the details, but this is not "conjecture", it's tested. It's also not contrary to the current consensus, which is that sexuality is fluid. Everything the brain does is subject to the will under the right circumstances. You can learn to control your hypothalamic temperature regulation system, why would you think a much more abstract, higher-level autonomic process would be less accessible?

I don't actually care if I'm believed, though. I merely wish to state the truth with vigor. The rest is up to the listener!

I kinda hope that the 200000 voters in Georgia that do not have a driver's license start a mass lawsuit against the state to demand the state pays driving lessons and a driver's license for them so they retain their constitutional right to vote.

Ofcourse, blind people and people with other disabilities that make driving impossible should just get the driver's license without needing lessons first.

How is it even legally possible to demand a driver's license to be able to vote? What's wrong with a passport / ID card?
Georgia's law does not require a driver's license as opposed to other forms of ID, who told you that? It absolutely even includes passports in the list of valid ID, as well as state-issued non-driver ID cards anyone can easily get.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44556 on: March 26, 2021, 03:40:44 am »

Yes, uh, "easily". Suuuuure. You still have to take time off work to go to the DMV, pay fees, and file paperwork, and wait in line, and if you time it poorly, come back another day...

And that's just the milder of the voter suppression measures in this undemocratic trashfire law, though calling it a trashfire is mean to trash fires.

Edit: oh right did I mention that this bill will heavily disenfranchise minorities, like the people who live in... Atlanta... Who turned Georgia blue last fall...

You get the idea.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44557 on: March 26, 2021, 03:43:07 am »

Georgia's law does not require a driver's license as opposed to other forms of ID, who told you that? It absolutely even includes passports in the list of valid ID, as well as state-issued non-driver ID cards anyone can easily get.
New law change passed today. Update yourself.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/republikeinen-georgia-nemen-wet-aan-die-stemmen-moeilijker-maakt~bff5aa2b/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44558 on: March 26, 2021, 03:49:01 am »

Oh god it wasn't even it's own bill looks like:

The nearly 100-page measure was only formally unveiled last week, when it was abruptly inserted into another two-page bill.(Guardian USA)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44559 on: March 26, 2021, 03:57:19 am »

New law change passed today. Update yourself.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/republikeinen-georgia-nemen-wet-aan-die-stemmen-moeilijker-maakt~bff5aa2b/
That's the law I'm talking about, yes. The full text is available online. It explicitly does not require a driver's license.
Yes, uh, "easily". Suuuuure. You still have to take time off work to go to the DMV, pay fees, and file paperwork, and wait in line, and if you time it poorly, come back another day...
You do not have to pay a fee for an ID card in Georgia. I have a non-driver ID from New York, it took less than an hour to get and no paperwork beyond the same bare minimum you'd have to do to, say, register to vote (although it does require an extremely small fee here). Anyone who cannot manage that, frankly, SHOULDN'T be voting.

Oh god it wasn't even it's own bill looks like:

The nearly 100-page measure was only formally unveiled last week, when it was abruptly inserted into another two-page bill.(Guardian USA)
That's kind of misleading. The two-page bill was about the same thing, it's not like it was just randomly pork-barreled into an appropriations bill or anything. Rather, it appears to have been expanded beyond all reason by the normal bureaucratic practice.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44560 on: March 26, 2021, 04:01:26 am »

"Anyone who cannot manage that, frankly, SHOULDN'T be voting."

Or maybe we should make voting as easy as possible so more people vote.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44561 on: March 26, 2021, 04:03:39 am »

I am pretty sure we can do without the votes of, for example, severely mentally handicapped people who cannot understand how to use a ballot, or Alzheimer's patients trying to vote for Nixon.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44562 on: March 26, 2021, 04:06:33 am »

I am pretty sure we can do without the votes of, for example, severely mentally handicapped people who cannot understand how to use a ballot, or Alzheimer's patients trying to vote for Nixon.
Way to ad hominem everyone who messes up minor technical issues like updating voter precinct (manually) and can't vote because "same day voter registration bad"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44563 on: March 26, 2021, 04:12:47 am »

Way to ad hominem everyone who messes up minor technical issues like updating voter precinct (manually) and can't vote because "same day voter registration bad"
That doesn't even make sense. Do you know what "ad hominem" means? I mean, obviously you don't. It has nothing to do with anything else in that sentence. Anyway, yeah, "minor technical issues" like, say, making sure you actually recorded a vote for the person you meant to vote for and not someone else have screwed up elections before, so I'm pretty willing to be a stickler about minor technical issues.

The assumption that "more votes is better" is ultimately just nonsense. It's an article of faith.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44564 on: March 26, 2021, 04:16:36 am »

Voter registration errors prevent people from voting on a regular basis - I have missed an election myself due to improper registration and was unable to fix it day of due to bad laws. Greater access to the ballot box is good.

And I don't care what the dictionary definition of ad hominem is, common usage refers to an attack on the character.
Pages: 1 ... 2969 2970 [2971] 2972 2973 ... 3566