Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2962 2963 [2964] 2965 2966 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223712 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44445 on: March 16, 2021, 03:48:38 pm »

When it comes to trespassing on private land, I'll refer to the freedom to roam (Nordics represent). Stick within it and you should be fine.

Should definitely be allowed to pan by hand for gold and other metals in a stream, though.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44446 on: March 16, 2021, 03:50:42 pm »

That is indeed my point -- 'we' (society, or our laws) often recognize that whether or not a person actively intends malice is not always the determinative question, especially if they're killing people or hurting people in certain ways.
I don't know why you think I would disagree with this, then. I mean I assume you do since you keep snarking about the "malice" thing, but you're going after totally the wrong issue.

and been around that exact situation where half your neighbors are either meth heads, moonshiners or weed farmers, or all three...
Uh, no, that's not my situation at all. I'm not much of a fan of neighbors as a concept, being of a pretty eremitic bent, but my neighbors are decent people I more or less know. It's people coming here from the nearby towns who steal shit. I mean, we know this, we found out who did it. It's a fact.

(ETA: I suppose I should add that I'm also talking about middle-aged adults, not teenagers. Although if it were teenagers... I'd say the same thing.)

You think it gives you the right to mete out justice
I literally do not believe in the concept of justice. Don't project.

When it comes to trespassing on private land, I'll refer to the freedom to roam (Nordics represent). Stick within it and you should be fine.
That is not part of the law here and I'm damn well pleased that it isn't.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 03:59:26 pm by Maximum Spin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44447 on: March 16, 2021, 04:20:59 pm »

I literally do not believe in the concept of justice. Don't project.

Right....all your language about "victimization" and your readily apparent anger at people who "get away with stuff" has nothing to do with the concept of justice. I'm not projecting shit. I'm just reading what you're writing down, which really looks like an inflated sense of "I AM DE LAW" despite you trying to recast it with some frankly farcical statements like "I, the person holding a gun who believes they have the right to take a human life for theft, don't believe in justice." Who are you trying to convince? Because it's paper thin. If you truly didn't believe in justice you would toss your piece in the bin and let nature take its course and mind your own damn business. But instead you're saying you'd take action for someone else's sake, to right the wrongs they cannot right themselves. If that's not justice, I question where you're pulling your definition of it from.

It's people coming here from the nearby towns who steal shit. I mean, we know this, we found out who did it. It's a fact.

Proving...what exactly? That people who commit crime come from both near and far?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 04:24:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44448 on: March 16, 2021, 04:25:14 pm »

What part of stealing a car directly threatens the lives of the people in the community? You didn't say carjacking, which might actually be valid. You just said theft.
Well, in the immediate situation, there's the part where we live in the middle of the woods and we need cars to do basic things like "buy food and heating fuel so we don't die", and the part where the cost of replacing a car is very probably everything a person here has. But I'm talking more about what comes afterward when the car thief comes back, or tells a friend about the score — and this does happen, we had a rash of robberies by the same people just last year, although not of cars — and, because we lack the will to defend our community, we lose everything. Do you think a dude who gets away with stealing cars won't start thinking about breaking into houses? Because I've seen it happen.

Bull.

Please regale us with what they took that wasn't your car that put your entire community's life at risk and then you had to kill them to save everyone. Anyone who's lived within 5 miles of a cow knows better than this line of tripe.

Uh, no, that's not my situation at all. I'm not much of a fan of neighbors as a concept, being of a pretty eremitic bent, but my neighbors are decent people I more or less know. It's people coming here from the nearby towns who steal shit. I mean, we know this, we found out who did it. It's a fact.

And then you went and got your rifle and shot them in the head while they were on the ground because there was just nothing else that could have been done. You'd all have frozen to death. You've seen it happen! Bull.

This sort of thing is also what allows a person to allocate billions upon billions of dollars worth of materials and labor to build a vanity project in the desert that makes them feel safer while simultaneously accomplishing no actual safety and claiming that there's not enough money and labor to build better immigration facilities in the desert.

The parallel that is being drawn here (In case anyone forgot) is that we can't afford to financially support better facilities for immigrant children (even though we have money and construction resources already being poured into the area) in the same way that one simply cannot afford NOT to fatally shoot someone who might be stealing a car in a scenario that absolutely never happened. Their lives simply aren't as important, because in a scenario that doesn't exist we'd all die.

The only commonalty here is STILL that human lives are valued lower then a sense of safety for a situation that has never happened and never has any indication of happening in the future. Ego is more important than life. Welcome to America.

Finally though, here is AGAIN the fine, meaningless hair splitting definition that keeps getting pushed around. Malice denotes intent, Malevolence is the term for what's getting promoted here. Congratulations on the distinction.

My ass is going to lunch, I'm sure someone is going to try and turn the conversation to some ridiculous dissertation of "Waht is justice, really" instead of "Why are we spending the GDP of Mongolia on a national monument instead of solving national problems".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44449 on: March 16, 2021, 04:35:53 pm »

If you truly didn't believe in justice you would toss your piece in the bin and let nature take its course and mind your own damn business.
That doesn't follow. I don't have to believe in justice to want to prevent harm to myself and people I care about; I just have to value not being harmed. Believing in justice would, in contrast, require me to care about whether or not shooting someone in that scenario is just, which I don't. It would also require me to care about whether other people in, like, Los Angeles or something get their stuff stolen, but I don't: they can get robbed all day for all I care.

Proving...what exactly? That people who commit crime come from both near and far?
Your juxtaposition of "druggies" and "meth heads, moonshiners, or weed farmers" implied that you thought the drug-addled break-in I mentioned was committed by some local. I was merely pointing out that it wasn't. It doesn't prove anything of interest.

Please regale us with what they took that wasn't your car that put your entire community's life at risk and then you had to kill them to save everyone. Anyone who's lived within 5 miles of a cow knows better than this line of tripe.
I literally stated that I've never had to shoot a trespasser (although I know people who have), but, to take the part of that sentence that isn't delusional, "what they took that wasn't your car that put your entire community's life at risk", it happened to be the tools people needed to carry out their livelihoods, expensive and handed down within families, stolen from locked outbuildings. This didn't affect me personally because I'm not in such an occupation, but, you know, I care about other people in my community.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44450 on: March 16, 2021, 04:47:53 pm »

That doesn't follow. I don't have to believe in justice to want to prevent harm to myself and people I care about; I just have to value not being harmed. Believing in justice would, in contrast, require me to care about whether or not shooting someone in that scenario is just, which I don't. It would also require me to care about whether other people in, like, Los Angeles or something get their stuff stolen, but I don't: they can get robbed all day for all I care.

Preventing harm to the people you care about is justice. If you didn't care about justice, you wouldn't care about them either.

But you've basically tipped your hand. You don't give a fuck about what's just, you just care about you and your's. To that I say, if you don't care, why should anyone give a fuck about you, your's or your cars or your supposed right to safety? Why should we care about your well being if you admittedly don't give a fuck about anyone else's? Why should you be given the benefit of the doubt for your actions if you don't give a shit about anyone else?

You sound like exactly the sort of person I wouldn't trust with a gun, because your moral compass is self-serving and that, wedded to the power to kill, makes YOU a threat to everyone around you should they dare cross your completely arbitrary sense of what is good or right.

That's why we have laws in the first fucking place, for exactly this kind of "I don't give a fuck what is right, my might makes me right" yee-haw cowboy logic. If you can even call it that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 04:51:01 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44451 on: March 16, 2021, 04:50:33 pm »

Preventing harm to the people you care about is justice. If you didn't care about justice, you wouldn't care about them either.
I think we have totally different moral foundations! This statement sounds not only false to me, but stupidly wrong.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44452 on: March 16, 2021, 04:51:37 pm »

You're the one that posited it as a moral absolute, not me. If there's any stupid to be picked apart there, it's on you.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44453 on: March 16, 2021, 04:54:12 pm »

You're the one that posited it as a moral absolute, not me. If there's any stupid to be picked apart there, it's on you.
Oh, I don't think there are moral absolutes. When I speak of morals I am purely being selfdescriptive.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44454 on: March 16, 2021, 04:54:57 pm »

That is indeed my point -- 'we' (society, or our laws) often recognize that whether or not a person actively intends malice is not always the determinative question, especially if they're killing people or hurting people in certain ways.
I don't know why you think I would disagree with this, then. I mean I assume you do since you keep snarking about the "malice" thing, but you're going after totally the wrong issue.

I will admit to some snark here, though I'd argue that it seems at least like you are disagreeing with this. Per Dunasmisdeos's point, I'm focusing more here on the immigration aspect of this debate with the executing of possible criminals as a 'mere' hypothetical aside.

You're right. To state that the detention center were made miserable as deterence and that isn't malicious is also fucked, though. Because if making it bad so people stop coming is a solution, then why not just let them roam free, because that's pretty bad, too.
I think we fundamentally disagree on what "malice" means. To me, malice means WANTING people to suffer; if you feel that you need to make a credible threat of suffering in order to prevent people from doing something, and you accept the possibility that you may have to carry out that threat, that is not malicious — even if you're wrong.

To supply a concrete example, I would absolutely shoot a trespasser and I know people who have. I do not want people to trespass on my property, therefore I do not want to have to shoot a trespasser, but if it came down to it I would. I do not think this qualifies as malice against potential trespassers, since, if people do not trespass and thus do not get shot, I'm perfectly happy with that outcome.

The question I'm indirectly snarking around is: at what level of a "credible threat of suffering in order to prevent people from doing something" does the question of actual malice no longer matter? The forced sterilizations/hysterectomies, if they occurred, could arguably creep into that territory. When you have facilities with suicide and ongoing attempted suicide amidst heavy use of solitary confinement, lack of medical care, and other issues, combined with the family separation policy, it does become eyebrow raising at the least. Note that the scope of the linked document goes back into the Obama era, so this isn't solely a Trump problem - but the latter's administration actively worked to make things worse.

I mean, this was how the leaked internal memo described the policy:

Announce that DHS is considering separating family units, placing the adults in adult detention, and placing the minors under the age of 18 in the custody of HHS as unaccompanied minor children (UACs) because the minors will meet the definition of "unaccompanied alien child"

That is, actively using a loophole to mass-send kids to facilities they know are underequipped to handle things. While DHS ultimately denied ever having a policy, the above is indeed what they actually did under the zero tolerance approach.

And, on the topic of coyotes, note that the internal comments on the memo note a lack of policy consideration towards better enforcement on that front. Instead the short term options are all about intentionally increasing UAC detainees.

(There's also the logical debate over whether one can realy deny one doesn't want someone to suffer in a particular way when you set up a punishment to a crime you know will occur, to a person who likely doesn't know the specific punishment to begin with. That punishment is desired in one form or another, and at some level policymakers have to take responsibility for it.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 04:56:29 pm by Dostoevsky »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44455 on: March 16, 2021, 05:00:17 pm »

The question I'm indirectly snarking around is: at what level of a "credible threat of suffering in order to prevent people from doing something" does the question of actual malice no longer matter?
I haven't said anything about that. I just said that it isn't malice when someone has neutral intentions but is really stupid about implementing them, because somebody called it malice. Whether it matters that it is or isn't malice is an uninteresting question to me because honestly I do not care.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44456 on: March 16, 2021, 05:09:12 pm »

I suppose I got the wrong impression based on how you discussed both the hypothetical and immigration, then.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44457 on: March 16, 2021, 05:14:45 pm »

Quote from: Maximum Spin
I think we fundamentally disagree on what "malice" means. To me, malice means WANTING people to suffer; if you feel that you need to make a credible threat of suffering in order to prevent people from doing something, and you accept the possibility that you may have to carry out that threat, that is not malicious — even if you're wrong.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44458 on: March 16, 2021, 05:42:23 pm »

Quote from: Maximum Spin
Yeah. That's... what I said. Stating the definition of "malice". Nothing at all about whether it does or doesn't matter if it's malicious, just stating that it isn't. Were you suggesting that this contradicts what I said somehow?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44459 on: March 16, 2021, 06:07:18 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:02:42 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 2962 2963 [2964] 2965 2966 ... 3566