Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2960 2961 [2962] 2963 2964 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223915 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44415 on: March 16, 2021, 12:49:47 pm »

So uh cold-blooded murder isn't great.  People are often allowed to defend property by lethal means (and the ethics of that are... debateable) but it's generally not legal to execute a burglar if you've already stopped them.  (I'm sure there are countries where that's legal, and a lot of places where it's de facto allowed)

Obviously things get confused in an actual situation, maybe the intruder is still threatening, etc etc.  But if someone has controlled the situation and um "finishes" it, that's murder.  People aren't supposed to murder, it's a bit taboo.  Very macho to openly fantasize about, though!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44416 on: March 16, 2021, 12:54:27 pm »

So we needed a law to specifically say that we need to enforce the law?  Sad.

Worth noting that federal law typically isn't the realm of general policing of topics like murder (yes, there are a fair number of exceptions these days but they are exceptions). There is a federal law against rape in interstate situations and on federal property, but not a general 'you can't do this in the United States' sense thanks to constitutional limitations.

As previously mentioned, it looks like a lot of this bill was improving data collection and tracking.

(I also can't help but be reminded about the impacts of federal cost-benefit analysis on the topic; as part of agency implementation of this law a decade later, they went into the monetary value of preventing prison rape. Not exactly the sort of thing that reads well out loud.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44417 on: March 16, 2021, 12:57:50 pm »

(and the ethics of that are... debateable)
If you genuinely believe that, all I can say is, you and I are from two different worlds.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44418 on: March 16, 2021, 01:13:10 pm »

I've actually come around a lot on gun ownership and even home defense, there are a lot of harsh realities out there and I lived with a gun owner for most of the last three years.  I don't think it was registered...  I keep meaning to get training and one of my own, but I'm fortunate I don't have a pressing need right now.

I wouldn't shoot at someone for trying to steal my car though.  Even if I don't get it back it's just a substantial part of my wealth, not worth someone's life.  If I needed that car to feed a family, I dunno, I could see that argument.  Property can be a life-and-death matter, but it certainly isn't always.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44419 on: March 16, 2021, 01:25:12 pm »

I wouldn't shoot at someone for trying to steal my car though.  Even if I don't get it back it's just a substantial part of my wealth, not worth someone's life.  If I needed that car to feed a family, I dunno, I could see that argument.  Property can be a life-and-death matter, but it certainly isn't always.
To me, to not shoot at someone trying to steal my car would basically be an affront to the community. We don't really have anyone else to depend on but each other - letting such a person get away to steal someone else's stuff would be a dick move.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:31:33 pm by Maximum Spin »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44420 on: March 16, 2021, 01:31:00 pm »

I'm guessing there's a reason ICE facilities are specifically exempted from the Prison Rape Elimination Act.

Wait, what? I thought detention facilities were included

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44421 on: March 16, 2021, 01:36:56 pm »

To me, to not shoot at someone trying to steal my car would basically be an affront to the community. We don't really have anyone else to depend on but each other - letting such a person get away to steal someone else's stuff would be a dick move.

Yes. Cars are worth killing people over. Real service you provide to the community by doing that. Especially in those instances where someone shoots because they think someone is doing something bad. Like being black while walking.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44422 on: March 16, 2021, 01:43:31 pm »

I'm guessing there's a reason ICE facilities are specifically exempted from the Prison Rape Elimination Act.

Wait, what? I thought detention facilities were included

A quick look is showing me that the original law only applied to Bureau of Prison facilities, but a later Obama rulemaking looped in DHS facilities. But the way it was constructed it only applied to new/renewed/modified contracts, which means it'd take a while (or even forever) to affect private facilities. Don't know if the Trump DHS tried to deregulate that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44423 on: March 16, 2021, 01:46:26 pm »

Remember folks, it's not malice when you choose to hurt people when you have other readily accessible options immediately at hand. You just need to have an excuse to choose that hurt option. That's not sarcasm, that's the definition of malice.

The correct word for leaving children in subhuman conditions as a personal choice is Malevolence. I recommend we all start using the correct terminology out of respect.

And no, your stuff isn't worth another person's life by any metric. My shoes aren't worth another person's life. My car isn't worth another person's life. My house isn't worth another person's life. My life is the only thing that equates to another life. And frankly, it displays a disgusting deficiency of character if I would kill a person to avoid having to go get more stuff. But I guess it explains things that when offered a clear, concrete judgement call on the worth of a human life, you value it lower than an inanimate object.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44424 on: March 16, 2021, 01:53:54 pm »

And frankly, it displays a disgusting deficiency of character if I would kill a person to avoid having to go get more stuff.
It's not about stuff. It's an iterated game: the alternative to marshalling a decisive defense is the entire community being victimized forever.

To put it in starker terms: Some of my ancestors and distant relatives failed to marshal a decisive defense when outsiders came to their communities to take their stuff, and, as a result, the United States was founded and everyone who was already on the land was disposed of.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:57:01 pm by Maximum Spin »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44425 on: March 16, 2021, 01:57:59 pm »

There is only one problem with hurting/maiming/killing a home invader, the local politics...

The first thing that happens is the invader and the invaded are judged for their "community value" where the value is based on local political values and the local political situation. Those values are more important in determining how the law is applied than the law itself. This initial value-assessment of the involved parties is a source of known injustices in historical cases.

---------------------

Stealing often has a cost greater than the items being stolen.
Shooting at someone for stealing often has costs greater than the life of the person being shot at.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44426 on: March 16, 2021, 02:17:19 pm »

No man, to put it in starker terms you just killed a man because you value material wealth over human life, and historically that's how the United States was formed to the detriment of the people who were already there.

The solution isn't making sure you get to keep your car at the cost of another man's life, it's valuing human life at a higher price to begin with.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44427 on: March 16, 2021, 02:18:57 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:03:06 pm by dragdeler »
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44428 on: March 16, 2021, 02:23:21 pm »

The solution isn't making sure you get to keep your car at the cost of another man's life,
it's not about keeping the car, it's about valuing the lives of the other people in my community more than the life of the guy going around victimizing my community.

You're making the whitest argument I've heard in a long damn time. The abstract concept of "human life" is more important to you than the actual human lives of people around me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44429 on: March 16, 2021, 02:26:05 pm »

it's not about keeping the car, it's about valuing the lives of the other people in my community more than the life of the guy going around victimizing my community.

What part of stealing a car directly threatens the lives of the people in the community? You didn't say carjacking, which might actually be valid. You just said theft.

What it reads like you mean...is that you value your community member's lives via their property more than an actual human life.

Which brings us back to the beginning.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2960 2961 [2962] 2963 2964 ... 3566