Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2875 2876 [2877] 2878 2879 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244660 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43140 on: January 10, 2021, 06:29:28 am »

Nothing good will come from censoring the Trump followers and kicking them off social media. You will only push them deeper into their bubbles, and make sure they have a rightfull reason to distrust any media.

The big tech companies are all just trying to score points with the incoming democratic goverment, to avoid being split up or prevent having their monopolies broken. They should instead have a discussion on the algorithms they use that feed the current polarisation on both the left and right, and do something about it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43141 on: January 10, 2021, 06:45:50 am »

Interesting that this comes up right when another thread about forum moderation is on the first page.

At the end of the day, no one should be forced to give you a platform. This isn't 1980, we don't have local radio stations, TV stations and a handful of national networks anymore. Google, Apple and AWS aren't the only places that can play host to garbage.

Because personally, I wouldn't let people spew vile, treasonous lies on something I owned and controlled either. Interesting too, when you think about the whole "corporations are people too!" argument when it comes to political donations. I guess personhood only extends as far as the ability to donate money in the minds of some.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43142 on: January 10, 2021, 07:27:38 am »

And lo, Big Tech is booting off Parler. Apple, Google, and now Amazon.

I guess next the left is going to demand ISPs and payment processors ban them as well. Maybe even banks.

"Free market", more like cartels with hit squads.
Market's still free, they're welcome to go make their own ISPs and payment processors and banks and websites.

It being free just also means that if someone (goddamn finally) doesn't want to help these traitor fucks foment deadly violence and insurrection, they don't actually have to. Weird how that works.

... but nah, deplatforming these shits from major websites and making them have to build their own little fetid shitholes in the dark has actually shown, repeatedly, to be pretty good at unboosting their signal. Lot harder to convince folks of horseshit when the largest bully pulpits in the world ain't giving you a microphone and legitimacy and the country's infrastructure isn't cheerfully helping you do it, go figure.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43143 on: January 10, 2021, 07:36:14 am »

I guess next the left is going to demand ISPs and payment processors ban them as well. Maybe even banks.

Once companies attain dominance over publishing, information channels, mediums of exchange, it's rather alike a company controlling the toll gates to the roads all must use. If government control is against your constitutional law; just outsource it to the private sector. So instead of having Chinese style social credit where your access to the internet, travel, credit & social media is determined by the government, just have it be determined by private companies with even less accountability

Market's still free, they're welcome to go make their own ISPs and payment processors and banks and websites.
In a capitalist system the wealthy and poor alike can both freely spend their capital

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43144 on: January 10, 2021, 07:51:18 am »

Once companies attain dominance over publishing, information channels, mediums of exchange, it's rather alike a company controlling the toll gates to the roads all must use. If government control is against your constitutional law; just outsource it to the private sector. So instead of having Chinese style social credit where your access to the internet, travel, credit & social media is determined by the government, just have it be determined by private companies with even less accountability

In a capitalist system the wealthy and poor alike can both freely spend their capital

Blackjack and hookers for all, not just the rich!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #43145 on: January 10, 2021, 08:08:31 am »

The technocracy is coming
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43146 on: January 10, 2021, 08:16:35 am »

I am sure our benevolent, ethical and moral overlords at Amazon are very concerned with the rise of the far right and have our best interests in mind. After all, after so many years of using them, who would have a better insider view?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43147 on: January 10, 2021, 08:22:18 am »

Eyup. One of the reasons it sucks donkey balls in a lot of cases. Still, free market doesn't mean total insulation from the consequences of pissing off people; it just means certain people have structurally outsized input in a conversation, even if they normally don't speak up much.

Don't give the person hosting you reason to boot your ass off their platforms, like trying to incite mass murder and mob execution of political figures, or supporting folks that do, in other words :P

Would that they actually do something about it before an attempt at a putsch, but it's at least marginally better than the nothing most of us were probably expecting given previous behavior.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43148 on: January 10, 2021, 09:54:03 am »

Eyup. One of the reasons it sucks donkey balls in a lot of cases. Still, free market doesn't mean total insulation from the consequences of pissing off people; it just means certain people have structurally outsized input in a conversation, even if they normally don't speak up much.
I don't see any meaningful distinction between the government fucking people, private companies fucking people or the local gangs fucking people; if the power is too much for the government to possess I see no reason why I should give the free market a pass just because the powerful entity envolved is financed by credit instead of taxes.

Don't give the person hosting you reason to boot your ass off their platforms, like trying to incite mass murder and mob execution of political figures, or supporting folks that do, in other words :P
None of these companies did fuck all to get rid of the pedophiles on trending or ISIS; but that's besides the point. I'm not going to ever slavishly endorse moral policing by the morally bankrupt and wealthily endowed.

I am sure our benevolent, ethical and moral overlords at Amazon are very concerned with the rise of the far right and have our best interests in mind. After all, after so many years of using them, who would have a better insider view?
"We here at globocorp are so concerned by democracy and anti-racism, that's why we use concentration camp labour." Remember, we at globocorp are free to fuck anyone we like, because you pissed us off and now you have to face the consequences"

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43149 on: January 10, 2021, 10:33:20 am »

I hear Twitter has used the rabble to silently crack down on belligerent left-wing accounts and Scihub. I'm not a Twitter user, so I can't speak for the former, but Scihub's account is definitely gone from the site.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43150 on: January 10, 2021, 10:38:30 am »

When they murdered von Fersen (aka the Most Interesting Man in the World) under the guise of a lower class riot it was his elite upperclass rivals who did it, just dressed up as sailors.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43152 on: January 10, 2021, 11:38:35 am »

Yeah, I've been hearing about various queer people being repeatedly deplatformed by big tech for being queer in public over the past years (that's not a euphemism for something else). Youtube and Twitter automatically flagging and demonetizing all videos talking about being queer as "sensitive content" or "18+ content," for example. Or looking the other way as most out trans women on the platform repeatedly receive death threats :v

Wanna be clear that this is a separate thought:

I still think they should deplatform Trump as a component of the response, but agree that we should push them to do more about their extremizing algorithms, too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:24:54 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43153 on: January 10, 2021, 12:16:46 pm »

Thing is, got me thinking, they are a private company and can hold any bias the want to by any reasons and it's their issue alone. Is not like the break any rules and simply by stating any kind of infractions or whatever they have the right to ban of forbid to provide service to anyone.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43154 on: January 10, 2021, 12:19:30 pm »

I worry for the time companies buy out governments outright
Pages: 1 ... 2875 2876 [2877] 2878 2879 ... 3569