Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2874 2875 [2876] 2877 2878 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244668 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43125 on: January 09, 2021, 08:02:17 pm »

There's a weird battle going on over whether this was a working class or petit bourgeois insurrection and neither side seems to have a realistic idea of who the working class are.
Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43126 on: January 09, 2021, 08:07:21 pm »

Probably not a surprise on that last bit, really. There's a lot of folks pretty invested in considering themselves working class regardless of whether or not they actually, like. Are.

Throw in multiple definitions, some of which will cheerfully lump a below-poverty-line shelf stocker in with a six+ figure income lawyer and you're not going to get anything except a mess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43127 on: January 09, 2021, 08:21:09 pm »

BoTh WoRk So ThEy ArE tHe SaMe CaTeGoRy

LilyInTheWater

• Bay Watcher
  • Me want bite. Me want plant corn dog delight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43128 on: January 09, 2021, 08:33:24 pm »

Probably not a surprise on that last bit, really. There's a lot of folks pretty invested in considering themselves working class regardless of whether or not they actually, like. Are.

Throw in multiple definitions, some of which will cheerfully lump a below-poverty-line shelf stocker in with a six+ figure income lawyer and you're not going to get anything except a mess.
The issue here is that a lot of people don't think about updating Marx's definition in their mind to fit today's world (Which is much different from his world, as he was in the Industrial Revolution) and that is where the confusion starts. You also sometimes get weird takes like that one "cashiers are money cops and class traitors by the nature of their job actually" post which results from people not actually thinking about how these ideas they're grappling with actually play out in the real world.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:32:36 pm by LilyInTheWater »
Whatchu gonna do when I'm fucking small
Like one inch tall
You won't see me coming at all

He or They pronouns

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43129 on: January 09, 2021, 08:49:30 pm »

Talking about "not declaring war", Pompeo is removing (directed to remove?) the 'appeasing' rules about conveniently ignoring Taiwan.

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's a provacative thing that even Trump previously rowed back from when he still had reason to be not more than mildly and forgivably rude to his least favourite non-American superpower.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43130 on: January 09, 2021, 08:55:15 pm »

Overall I think the majority of the rioters/insurrections looked to be wealthy, salaried professionals, business owners, landlords, etc. but the opposite end of that argument has a weird idea of what the working class looks like too.  I live in the country, I know plenty of people who work union factory jobs for a wage who can afford an F250 and vacation days, the line is fuzzier than that.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43131 on: January 09, 2021, 10:56:42 pm »

"Ziptie guy" was apparently a bartender.

For me, I'm trying to make a point that although civil unrest can often be sparked by class friction, this clearly isn't just or primarily a poor man's riot.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43132 on: January 09, 2021, 11:02:19 pm »

Everyone there was able to travel to DC for a few days.  Some of them took private planes, but all of them were able to afford a trip to DC.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43133 on: January 10, 2021, 12:16:42 am »

I guess I'd note that redneck != poor person necessarily to me. As pointed out, by and large they own homes, maybe even two homes, a boat, a big truck, support 2+ kids, w/e. To me redneck is kind of a point of view about the world, America, race, all that rolled up into one. It's the reason Jeff Foxworthy could appeal to all levels income, from working class up to the millionaires which he himself was. It's an identity thing and an ideological thing. In much the same way I think you can compare it to income disparity in the black community (actual poverty vs. movie star/athlete wealth.) Nor is wealth necessarily a guarantee of actual education.

Its demographic maybe broad, but I still think the Trump base is still rooted in what I think of as redneck ideology. Celebrating ignorance, "gut feelings" vs. facts, racism, full blown the-south-will-rise-again delusions, anti-government paranoia, 2nd amendment hysteria, apocalypse thinking possibly fed by a religious base. Generously seasoned with conspiracy mongering. It's all mixed in there like an evil sausage.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43134 on: January 10, 2021, 12:58:48 am »

The Republican base has been a weird conglomeration of seemingly conflicting ideologies for a long time.  I'm still interested in how the makeup of crazies in the capitol attack seems weirdly similar to the makeup of the early Nazi party, before they pared it down.  Businessmen, religious zealots, eco-shaman weirdos, hardcore racists/antisemites, evola types who talk about the kali yuga, people who want a king.  But yeah, I don't see this as a class thing, either a petit bourgeois revolt or a working class one. 

Black kryptek zip-tie dude being a bartender is interesting, but he came with his mom, dunno what kind of money she has.  There's a tier of wealth though I call "furry rich."  A decent job and no life outside some particular niche interest can buy you a lot of expensive toys, stuff somebody with a more balanced life and the same income would balk at.  That could be a 2000 dollar fursuit and regular convention trips, or it could be guns and plate carriers.  A guy with few/no attachments and an obsessive interest in something like, I dunno, qanon shit is probably also more likely to go do something insane than somebody who's got a family to take care of.

Shoes...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43135 on: January 10, 2021, 01:43:50 am »

His fucking mom. Imagine being outed as a terrorist because you went to join the attempted violent overthrow of the government with your mother in tow.

Bet it wouldn't have happened if she had been wearing a mask! Actually, that's true of almost everyone caught so far during the riots. Catching a deadly virus to own the libs is not longer sufficient, now we must lose our job and face criminal charges to own the libs.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43136 on: January 10, 2021, 01:57:35 am »

No but I was just watching a certain MAGA streamer who claimed that all the actual patriots were wearing masks!  The ones without masks were Antifa.

Also he bragged about being there.  And doesn't hide his face on his videos.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43137 on: January 10, 2021, 05:27:22 am »

And lo, Big Tech is booting off Parler. Apple, Google, and now Amazon.

I guess next the left is going to demand ISPs and payment processors ban them as well. Maybe even banks.

"Free market", more like cartels with hit squads.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43138 on: January 10, 2021, 05:46:57 am »

When money is king, politics plays second fiddle.

The GOP reaps, what the GOP has sewn.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43139 on: January 10, 2021, 06:08:04 am »

I would vote that Qasem Soleimani counts as a war,. Not that Soleimani did not had it comming but definitively counts like that for me because how it could have scalated into one, so at least counts as an attempt.

Well Iraq thinks it* was pre-meditated murder.  They want Trump to stand trial for that - conviction carries the death penalty.  I don't support capital punishment but it would solve a lot of problems.  Not likely to fly but still interesting how the rest of the world sees it.

* The strike killed nine other people, 5 Iraqis and 4 Iranians.
Pages: 1 ... 2874 2875 [2876] 2877 2878 ... 3569