Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2865 2866 [2867] 2868 2869 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245417 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42990 on: January 07, 2021, 04:25:31 pm »

There probably aren't enough of them to start an honest-to-goodness civil war. But 'Troubles'-style terrorism? That's a real risk for awhile to come. Possible it's already started with the pipe bombs found, if they continue.

I'd say least likely but probably the worst case is a government in exile calling for terrorist action, if Trump were to go full madman and also flee to a country willing to shelter him. Although that list of countries is probably short, Russia officially or Brazil unofficially would seem most likely although I doubt either would be willing to house someone openly instigating terrorism in the USA in that scenario. The places/countries that are cool with that aren't exactly likely to be welcoming to a former USA president...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:34:35 pm by MorleyDev »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42991 on: January 07, 2021, 04:55:26 pm »

There may well be further instances of terrorism from now until Trump dies, if not well after that, is what I suspect. And as Morley hinted at, yeah. There was already a definite attempt, at least some of the chatter surrounding this mess indicates that some of the IEDs detonated were genuine.

Imagine the kind of shitstorm that would ensue if they'd had the chance to detonate one while the cops on-scene were doing nothing but letting them walk in and taking selfies with them. Likely the only reason they didn't was either the ones who did bring function IEDs with them either hoped to be able to plant them and set them to detonate after the rioters were mostly out, or else they didn't think things through about how they're actually going to detonate it and got cold feet.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42992 on: January 07, 2021, 05:00:24 pm »

Racists got entirely too used to being allowed to be openly racist, what with "they were supposed to shoot black people, not us" lady and the distressing number of actual Nazis that showed up for yesterday's event.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #42993 on: January 07, 2021, 05:32:43 pm »

There may well be further instances of terrorism from now until Trump dies, if not well after that, is what I suspect. And as Morley hinted at, yeah. There was already a definite attempt, at least some of the chatter surrounding this mess indicates that some of the IEDs detonated were genuine.
Oh, they were. At least, according to the police.
“The USCP Hazardous Materials Response Team determined that both devices were, in fact, hazardous and could cause great harm to public safety,” police said in statement.

A federal law enforcement source told ABC News that the suspected pipe bombs were active and not fake devices.
A picture is included in the article of the bomb left at the RNC.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42994 on: January 07, 2021, 05:40:54 pm »

Also worth noting that (based on the old footage I've seen from back in May, at least) individual protestors back then did knock over a couple of barricades, take two steps forward, and then back up once again. There wasn't the same surge as there was here - possibly because the White House snipers are a lot better known than the Capitol snipers. (And yes, there reportedly were snipers deployed.)

(At other times they did throw stones and other objects and injure police, so I'm not going to claim there wasn't any violence. But there wasn't a concerted assault to break into a location either, at least from what I've seen.)

Given human nature this could ultimately be more a question of crowd dynamics than ideology, but that's probably being a little too lenient to some of those in the crowd yesterday who are literal neonazis.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42995 on: January 07, 2021, 06:27:46 pm »

I think the symbolism if what the groups wanted to display needs to be considered.

The BLM protests are\were motivated by a desire to be noticed, as a means to communicate anger, and awareness.

The incidents in DC today and yesterday were less about getting people to pay attention, and more about deliberate disruption to the political process.

Equating the two is reductionist as fuck.
This is a blank sig.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42996 on: January 07, 2021, 06:40:49 pm »

Yeah, it should be noted that some officers did try to resist, but several in the ranks notably didn't and actively assisted the invasion. Presumably, because they are active on the white nationalist boards that have been talking about doing this for weeks, and saw themselves as part of the crowd instead of the defenders of the capitol.

There is also a good chance that a majority of the cops were underprepared, either by incompetence or design, for the rally to turn into an invasion.

Comparing the reactions to BLM and White Nationalist protests/riots is futile if you ignore the priming the police recieve. The cops were told to squash the riots that were often peaceful BLM protests. These cops were told the White Nationalists were on their side and Backed the Blue or whatever.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42997 on: January 07, 2021, 06:44:03 pm »

There have been dozens of "MAGA MARCH" events that wound up being a few dozen fat white dudes that just mill around in confusion and go home after a couple of hours. Nobody expected this to be any different - all the preludes were the same. That is what the police were prepped to handle.

Offering significant resistance with the forces on hand would have done nothing but created a bloodbath that would have killed enormous numbers of innocent bystanders.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #42998 on: January 07, 2021, 06:53:24 pm »

a few dozen fat white dudes that just mill around in confusion and go home after a couple of hours.
Well that’s what happened, except they choose to mill around in confusion inside the halls of the capital.
“WE TOOK THE CAPITAL BUILDING”
“Now what?”
“I didn’t think we’d get this far...”
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #42999 on: January 07, 2021, 07:32:53 pm »

"Now we take hostages! I brought zipties!"
"Uhh Bob, all the senators escaped."
"What? How?"
"Escape tunnels. Who will we take hostage now, Bob? Bob? ...why you looking at me like that, Bob?"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43000 on: January 07, 2021, 07:39:27 pm »

Some of the kid responses to this have been pretty brutal. Some basically going, "You had to hide under desks because of guys with guns? Welcome to my world." Others wondering if congress had to run drills for what to do in the case of an active shooter, like they've been doing most of their life. Helluva' thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43001 on: January 07, 2021, 07:46:37 pm »

I had a quick lurk[1] over Trump's twitter feed, he posted a video. That I didn't play, but the immediate comments are roughly split between "We love you!" and "You still can't tell the truth...".

The problematic Tweets (or placeholders for them) are still labelled as removed by Twitter, but I assume he must have effectively done the required deletions after the 12-hr cooling off period in order to participate again.

[1] It's on a tab among other tabs I check for other things. One of the more masochistic ones, I'll admit.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #43002 on: January 07, 2021, 08:02:24 pm »

Remember the Charlottesville speech that clearly wasn't written by him? Same thing, basically. "I condemn the violence seen bla bla bla I won the election bla bla bla"
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:20:48 pm by MorleyDev »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43003 on: January 07, 2021, 08:25:35 pm »

Huh. Yeah, one the cops brained by the coup shits is dead, now. That's five, I think? Four insurrectionists and a cop, last I noticed a count.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43004 on: January 07, 2021, 09:12:28 pm »

Apparently about an hour ago President Trump went on stage to condemn the rioters and concede.  Well I'm not sure he so much conceded the election more he admitted that he won't be president anymore.

Considering that just 24 hours ago he was calling them(the rioters) justified I feel like this is a "Well shit my coup failed, and I might be forcefully removed from office early. Better distance myself as much as possible from everything I said and did the last few weeks, and pretend to be remorseful, so that if they do remove me they look like the assholes not me."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:15:49 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 2865 2866 [2867] 2868 2869 ... 3569