Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2860 2861 [2862] 2863 2864 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4246151 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42916 on: January 06, 2021, 05:46:53 pm »

I dunno, I'm seeing a shitload of wincing going on right now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42917 on: January 06, 2021, 05:47:10 pm »

Many years ago it wasn't apparent to me how numerous and influential they were.  I was happier with that lack of knowledge, and I'll never be able to return to that.

It's easy to view a mob and be overwhelmed by their sheer numbers, to inflate their influence just by the sheer size of the crowd. Consider that if you combined all the people in America who aren't about this shit and put them on the street, the mob in DC would barely be a drop of water in the ocean.

Its not about the riot, its about the decade or more of republican action that caused people to storm the capitol to ensure their cult leader stays in power.  Its about a president showing check and balances are just words on paper and with enough court stacking and just the right amount of senate seats even the stupidest, most self destructive policy is possible.  Sure there are tons of people that wouldn't do go riot, but they also wouldn't wince if their neighbor did.

To that point, I'd say better than 50% of the callers in to C-SPAN have been pro-Trump, blaming the violence on Antifa or even claiming there was no violence. The rot goes far deeper than the band of assholes on display today.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42918 on: January 06, 2021, 05:49:41 pm »

Judging that kind of thing from the people motivated enough to call into a news program is pretty iffy.

The more interesting thing is the almost total rejection of this by the formal Republican parties.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42919 on: January 06, 2021, 05:52:30 pm »

The more interesting thing is the almost total rejection of this by the formal Republican parties.

You misspelled "former"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42920 on: January 06, 2021, 05:56:09 pm »

Looks like the shot woman is dead now.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #42921 on: January 06, 2021, 05:56:39 pm »

The last time the US Capital was breached like this was back when the Brits did it in 1814
But then again, the Brits weren't randomly let in by those guarding it
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42922 on: January 06, 2021, 05:58:41 pm »

Looks like the shot woman is dead now.

There's some (newer?) video (here) and it looks like she was shot as she was breaking through a barricade. Not that it excuses getting shot, but does show some context.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42923 on: January 06, 2021, 06:22:02 pm »

The last time the US Capital was breached like this was back when the Brits did it in 1814

Those guarding the capitol would probably have been slaughtered if they tried stopping the mob. And probably also touched off an orgy of violence that killed hundreds or even thousands of innocents. They didn't have the manpower or firepower to stop a crowd like this.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42924 on: January 06, 2021, 06:24:34 pm »

Those guarding the capitol would probably have been slaughtered if they tried stopping the mob. And probably also touched off an orgy of violence that killed hundreds or even thousands of innocents. They didn't have the manpower or firepower to stop a crowd like this.
And that's a huge failure of planning. It's not like this hadn't been telegraphed for weeks, if not months.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42925 on: January 06, 2021, 06:29:31 pm »

They pretty much let it happen. We're getting more and more overt signs of where some people's loyalties lie.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42926 on: January 06, 2021, 06:31:04 pm »

When nothing happened after the election, or after the EC voted, people largely seem to have expected this to be yet another fizzle. If people expected anything at all, it would have been at the inauguration. Today's certification was a ceremonial thing so routine that nobody even notices it most elections.

Meanwhile, there's been a statement from Mitt Romney calling this "an insurrection incited by the President of the United States", labeling anybody trying to contest the election beyond convincing, and calling for the Congress to "refrain from further objections and unanimously affirm the legitimacy of the Presidential Election".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42927 on: January 06, 2021, 06:37:48 pm »

Just imagining what would have happened if thousands of armed BLM protestors had tried to storm the capitol. I have a feeling restraint would have been in short supply.

Also apparently the former police chief of the capitol police said something to the effect of: "I know many of the officers out there today, even trained them myself. What I saw today was "Friggin" (actually said) pathetic."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42928 on: January 06, 2021, 06:53:35 pm »

Twitter is now removing Trump's tweets.  This is the first time they do that, even though they were already placing fake news warnings with his tweets before.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42929 on: January 06, 2021, 06:54:55 pm »

Just imagining what would have happened if thousands of armed BLM protestors had tried to storm the capitol. I have a feeling restraint would have been in short supply.

Also apparently the former police chief of the capitol police said something to the effect of: "I know many of the officers out there today, even trained them myself. What I saw today was "Friggin" (actually said) pathetic."

Exactly this. If the response to this riot (arguably act of terror, protest is definitely too light a term) had been even HALF as forceful as it had been during the BLM protests in DC, the rotunda would've been a killzone.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 2860 2861 [2862] 2863 2864 ... 3569