Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2859 2860 [2861] 2862 2863 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245884 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42900 on: January 06, 2021, 05:15:11 pm »

The Texas Republican Party has disavowed the insurrection
Well yeah-
, and fired their Sergeant In Arms for supporting it.
Haha fuck

My mom was asking on the phone if Congress can remove Trump for supporting and lauding this (while asking them, essentially, to accept amnesty).  "Well... yeah.  It's called impeachment."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42901 on: January 06, 2021, 05:16:47 pm »

Mm. OK, point taken nenjin. I was thinking more broadly.

I think as the development above shows, even people that support/supported Trump have a limit. Luckily that limit seems to begin at armed insurrection.

But I won't be surprised if we have weeks or even months of domestic terrorism flowing from today. Once they've let the leashes slip on actual violence and insurrection, some people will continue to do it until they're caught and/or killed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42902 on: January 06, 2021, 05:17:07 pm »

There's already been mentions of impeachment from Representatives and Senators. Looks like they're not going to bother and are just cutting Trump out of the decision loop instead. Pence has ordered out the DC national guard despite Trump.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42903 on: January 06, 2021, 05:19:31 pm »

Can I get a source that Pence has cut Trump out? Extremely relevant at this time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42904 on: January 06, 2021, 05:22:21 pm »

Mm. OK, point taken nenjin. I was thinking more broadly.
If you want a personal anecdote, my dad is stuck in the conservative blogosphere. It is a scary thing to watch happen to someone you know is actually decently smart. The ideas they absorb are that of anti-intellectualism and conspiratorial thinking. They are essentially told not just what to think, but to not think altogether. They become part of the informed minority. They become cult members.

Frankly, it's a rejection of critical thinking. A lot of what it takes to whittle someone down to that point just involves minor nudges, and conservative media is full of just that. My dad doesn't think for himself anymore. He only repeats talking points. I proved him wrong to his face once and he simply ignored it.

That is the face of the problem. They aren't dumb people. They are people that either lack or don't want to use critical thinking.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42905 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:19 pm »

That is the face of the problem. They aren't dumb people. They are people that either lack or don't want to use critical thinking.

When you refuse to use critical thinking even though you're capable of it, doesn't that in fact make you dumb by choice rather than by genetics or a lack of education? Splitting hairs I know. I just don't see any other way to contextualize that mode of thinking without somehow giving it more worth than it deserves.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42906 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:43 pm »

Looks like there's still enough going on there that by the time SWAT and NG response kicks into full gear, it might still escalate. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42907 on: January 06, 2021, 05:34:00 pm »

Supposedly riots going on in georgia too.

https://www.10news.com/news/national/amid-election-count-georgias-secretary-of-state-evacuates-as-protests-spread

Wonder if this is going to become nation wide

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #42908 on: January 06, 2021, 05:34:34 pm »

Curfew in 30 minutes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42909 on: January 06, 2021, 05:34:54 pm »

Various military/paramilitary forces are clearing out the Capitol building, but given the size and complexity of the complex that could take quite a while (and perhaps not be fully successful).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42910 on: January 06, 2021, 05:35:29 pm »

Can I get a source that Pence has cut Trump out? Extremely relevant at this time.

https://twitter.com/mjahanna

This guy is recommended by people who are good at avoiding disinformation.

There's speculation that Pence has invoked Section 4 of the 25th Amendement.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42911 on: January 06, 2021, 05:36:10 pm »

https://twitter.com/mjahanna

This guy is recommended by people who are good at avoiding disinformation.

There's speculation that Pence has invoked Section 4 of the 25th Amendement.

That sounds like the DoD cut Trump out, not Pence, which is... huh.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42912 on: January 06, 2021, 05:37:07 pm »

Which is not really surprising. He's flung a lot of shit at them over his presidency, I'm sure the brass couldn't wait to cut him out of the loop.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42913 on: January 06, 2021, 05:41:08 pm »

Kansas statehouse was also invaded
Spoiler: An aside... (click to show/hide)

Not important just lightening the mood.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42914 on: January 06, 2021, 05:41:51 pm »

Many years ago it wasn't apparent to me how numerous and influential they were.  I was happier with that lack of knowledge, and I'll never be able to return to that.

It's easy to view a mob and be overwhelmed by their sheer numbers, to inflate their influence just by the sheer size of the crowd. Consider that if you combined all the people in America who aren't about this shit and put them on the street, the mob in DC would barely be a drop of water in the ocean.

Its not about the riot, its about the decade or more of republican action that caused people to storm the capitol to ensure their cult leader stays in power.  Its about a president showing check and balances are just words on paper and with enough court stacking and just the right amount of senate seats even the stupidest, most self destructive policy is possible.  Sure there are tons of people that wouldn't do go riot, but they also wouldn't wince if their neighbor did.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 2859 2860 [2861] 2862 2863 ... 3569