Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2790 2791 [2792] 2793 2794 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235396 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41865 on: November 11, 2020, 06:40:59 am »

One man one vote... but some people's votes are worth more than others.  We don't decide presidential elections by popular vote.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41866 on: November 11, 2020, 07:05:44 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:13:21 pm by dragdeler »
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41867 on: November 11, 2020, 07:09:20 am »

I'd say a 85% chance that after review of the votes and an audit (even with the late votes being cancelled), Biden will still win. Considering that even if there is fraud (apparently there's evidence of ballot boxes being stuffed) it's probably minor and unlikely to affect the result.

The strategy wouldn't be to "remove illegitimate votes" - the strategy would be to find evidence of fraud and declare the election invalid. Then remain president effectively without election.

How all that happens is unclear to me - but I'm guessing it's something to do with Democrats laying down while Trump walks over them and quietly saying "no he can't do this".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41868 on: November 11, 2020, 07:13:50 am »

And that's why I'd call it performative electoralism. A democracy derides it's power from the popular will. Having some people's vote be worth less is the equivalent sticking a well-made sign with "suggestions" written on it, on a paper shredder.

Some would say that that is the weakness of democracy, as the votes of the very ignorant are equal to the votes of the knowledgeable. The people can vote in whomever they want, but widespread appeal tends to screen out competency in practical matters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41869 on: November 11, 2020, 07:21:13 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:13:25 pm by dragdeler »
let

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41870 on: November 11, 2020, 07:49:46 am »

I'd say a 85% chance that after review of the votes and an audit (even with the late votes being cancelled), Biden will still win. Considering that even if there is fraud (apparently there's evidence of ballot boxes being stuffed) it's probably minor and unlikely to affect the result.

The strategy wouldn't be to "remove illegitimate votes" - the strategy would be to find evidence of fraud and declare the election invalid. Then remain president effectively without election.

How all that happens is unclear to me - but I'm guessing it's something to do with Democrats laying down while Trump walks over them and quietly saying "no he can't do this".
Well here's the thing: they won't let him do that. Thus at most there will simply be a recount which is unlikely to change anything. I agree that it's a 99.99% chance of Biden winning.

Aaaand I dip into this thread that I promised to myself to ignore. Clicked it accidentally.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41871 on: November 11, 2020, 07:52:36 am »

I dunno, they didn't let his administration kill 200,000 people, but that happened.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41872 on: November 11, 2020, 07:59:47 am »

I doubt that even Trump is stupid enough to try something like that so brazenly and probably start a civil war that he might well lose. Last time I checked the military didn't like him.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41873 on: November 11, 2020, 08:07:58 am »

No, but the chain of command is being replaced.

With trump loyalists.

The pattern (to me at least), suggests a man who is hedging if he NEEDS to do a coup (to stay in), but really would prefer not to (such as through legal challenge, bribery, etc.)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41874 on: November 11, 2020, 08:12:06 am »

Well then.

My best wishes to you all in that case.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41875 on: November 11, 2020, 08:13:06 am »

One man one vote.
One man one vote.
One man one vote.
One man one vote.
One man one vote.
One man one vote.
One man one vote.
One man one vote.
One man one vote.
One man one vote.

It's not complicated at all and I'm still amazed how people can be concerned with the dillution of their voting power if the alternative is less than a democracy.

That is because you are from an imperialist country and culture who justifies their rule over other peoples with "there's more of us than there are of you" and aren't at risk of being politically dominated by people who have no relation, loyalty, or  concern for you and your laws, customs, and ways of living.
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41876 on: November 11, 2020, 08:41:16 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:13:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #41877 on: November 11, 2020, 08:51:14 am »

The 'throwing away of all votes not for the winning party' is only a problem in first-past-the-post systems like the USA and UK have. Many other countries use alternative ways of determining how seats in their house are allocated that don't have that direct problem.

For example, the USA could allocate the House of Representatives based on the most popular in counties, the Senate based on the proportion of votes in each state, with the President going to the winner of the popular vote. This is one proposal for removing the UKs House of Lords with a democratically elected one.

Problem is, like in the UK, both main political parties have a vested interest in preventing the system to change from First Past the Post since proportional systems allow for more smaller, single issue or fringe parties to get seats and make flat-out majorities rarer (forcing the parties to actually compromise and negotiate to get their agenda through).

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41878 on: November 11, 2020, 09:03:25 am »

The 'throwing away of all votes not for the winning party' is only a problem in first-past-the-post systems like the USA and UK have. Many other countries use alternative ways of determining how seats in their house are allocated that don't have that direct problem.

For example, the USA could allocate the House of Representatives based on the most popular in counties, the Senate based on the proportion of votes in each state, with the President going to the winner of the popular vote. This is one proposal for removing the UKs House of Lords with a democratically elected one.

Problem is, like in the UK, both main political parties have a vested interest in preventing the system to change from First Past the Post since proportional systems allow for more smaller, single issue or fringe parties to get seats and make flat-out majorities rarer (forcing the parties to actually compromise and negotiate to get their agenda through).

God I'd love it if the FPTP system were changed to ranked or jungle or whathaveyou. It sickens me to see two parties just owning the political system, and the nation apparently considering it normal that these gangs of old, inept bastards have a stranglehold on the nation's political will and imagination.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41879 on: November 11, 2020, 09:12:40 am »

coalition govt would be an amazing thing in the US.

Imagine--- the legislature *HAS* to cooperate.

It would be amazing to see.
Pages: 1 ... 2790 2791 [2792] 2793 2794 ... 3567