Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2788 2789 [2790] 2791 2792 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231552 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41835 on: November 10, 2020, 08:08:57 pm »

Wait...Hunter: The Reckoning?

My god...it was in front of us the whole time...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41836 on: November 10, 2020, 09:12:29 pm »

Oh I completely support the idea of expanding courts both at the upper State and Federal levels in order to expedite without rubberstamping the amount/rate of case load they decide, but I couldn't tell much the other effects of doing it. I'm not in the legal business so I'm actualy pretty clueless about consequences of my desired return.

It's just I'm not knowledgeable enough to know of a way that our choice of 2 would agree with the other on enough that court expansion are not completely onesided or if not at least portrayed that way to the point where everyone is mad regardless and do it again when it's their turn.

However with the confirmation shenanigans and all I don't think doing nothing is the answer either lest that stay the norm. Plus it was a rotten move in my opinion which does sway my opinion towards expanding the US Supreme Court, again without particular knowledge to back it up.

EDIT: I clarify I haven't done the research so when someone comes along who has they know I'm not intentionally misleading people if I am incorrect, apologies if it's annoying.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:26:57 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

grave worm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41837 on: November 10, 2020, 09:27:20 pm »

Really the only thing to do about the supreme court would be to expand it by authorizing every US resident (and I'd say the citizens of any country that has US military bases, they should also be allowed to vote in national elections) as supreme court justices.
Leviathan, the great artifice, single and world-embracing for the first time in His-story, is decomposing.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41838 on: November 10, 2020, 09:31:31 pm »

the citizens of any country that has US military bases
So, everybody on the planet?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41839 on: November 10, 2020, 09:39:35 pm »

Really the only thing to do about the supreme court would be to expand it by authorizing every US resident (and I'd say the citizens of any country that has US military bases, they should also be allowed to vote in national elections) as supreme court justices.

I like the spirit of it but I'd have been downcast if I had to learn this mess as a wee lad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurisprudence

Someone should make Jurisprudence: The Video Game

I never played Ace Attorney but I hear that is close
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:43:21 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

grave worm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41840 on: November 10, 2020, 09:42:34 pm »

the citizens of any country that has US military bases
So, everybody on the planet?

Let's not get carried away, but maybe there should be a yearly, worldwide recall election where everyone on the planet can vote on whether to recall the US president. I'd be ok with that
Leviathan, the great artifice, single and world-embracing for the first time in His-story, is decomposing.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41841 on: November 10, 2020, 09:44:27 pm »

Yeah, but imagine how much of a clusterfuck it would be to run an election on that scale.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41842 on: November 10, 2020, 09:46:47 pm »

Even at its barest minimum, expanding the courts would make it easier for the SCOTUS to actually do its bloody job, for what it's worth. One of the noted issues with the supreme court as is, is there's too damn few of them to really handle the load they're faced with. The US is a lot larger and its legal system that much messier than it was the last time the court was expanded. Enough justices to split up and handle multiple case loads would be a damn overdue improvement.

From a pure capacity standpoint, the Court could handle significantly greater case volume than it does now. The reason the Court rejects most cases is that every case creates a legal precedent that overrides every court and legislature in the country. Too many of them and the legal system grinds to a halt.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

grave worm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41843 on: November 10, 2020, 09:48:03 pm »

Yeah, but imagine how much of a clusterfuck it would be to run an election on that scale.

Yeah but it'd be fun

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41844 on: November 10, 2020, 09:49:47 pm »

I see that you're in line with this forum's nominal stance on Fun.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41845 on: November 10, 2020, 09:52:07 pm »

US would give Restofworldia 2 Senate seats like every other state

In seriousness though I'm not against some kind of agreement between the superpowers of the day to have their actions governed to an extent greater than today by wide coalitions of smaller nations but again consequences. It might just lead to greater interventionism as the superpowers feel a greater need to consolidate their bloc, though one would hope it would be through competing through economic support (carrots) rather than has often been the case (the stick).

That's just a quick thought, not something I've dwelled on pandemic fueled laze.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:56:04 pm by Duuvian »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41846 on: November 10, 2020, 09:52:18 pm »

Ideally, that would mean they would have to steer their presidency into being good for the entire world. We wouldn't want that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41847 on: November 10, 2020, 09:53:42 pm »

I mean, not long ago we were talking about voting by app. All we'd have to do is carpet bomb the world with smartphones preloaded with the voting app, rigged up so the machine wouldn't do anything else until you choose an option. You get to keep and use the phone after you vote, even!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41848 on: November 10, 2020, 10:01:00 pm »

US would give Restofworldia 2 Senate seats like every other state

In seriousness though I'm not against some kind of agreement between the superpowers of the day to have their actions governed to an extent greater than today by wide coalitions of smaller nations but again consequences. It might just lead to greater interventionism as the superpowers feel a greater need to consolidate their bloc, though one would hope it would be through competing through economic support (carrots) rather than has often been the case (the stick).

That's just a quick thought, not something I've dwelled on pandemic fueled laze.

The problem I see, is that it would require something "kinda like" the electoral college to not have China dominate all world politics, just because it has more than half the global population.

That would result in more populous countries being told "Shut up", to give smaller countries, like say, cuba, an actual voice at the table.

It would have all the same decrying arguments against it the US has with its EC system.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41849 on: November 10, 2020, 10:06:49 pm »

I mean, not long ago we were talking about voting by app. All we'd have to do is carpet bomb the world with smartphones preloaded with the voting app, rigged up so the machine wouldn't do anything else until you choose an option. You get to keep and use the phone after you vote, even!

I like the free phone part but isn't the main problem with voting through various tubes the possibility of tampering or other interference? Seems like you'd need block chains or something for verification but even then (I don't know anything about block chains) can't they be "mined"? I dunno if that would be able to break it as a system though.

Hah we'll use captchas. If you can recognize a street light, you can vote!

How is that ol' uninterceptable quantum entanglement coming along? That would make it more feasible maybe.

I'd totally vote on a phone if that was the cool thing of the day
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:19:56 pm by Duuvian »

Pages: 1 ... 2788 2789 [2790] 2791 2792 ... 3567