Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2718 2719 [2720] 2721 2722 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224095 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40785 on: October 23, 2020, 07:09:39 pm »

Re: landslide victories.
Don't forget the Trump News Network - which wouldn't be surprising in the least. Trump gathers all the rightwingers who have quit or been censored in the past 5 years. Alex Jones variety hour. The Trumpists will have a source to rile them up into extremeism even if the Republicans take a new strategy instead of lump behind Trump.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40786 on: October 23, 2020, 07:13:25 pm »

That doesn't stop them any other time, why should it stop them now? The far-right majority on the Court has every motive to retaliate once the rubicon has been crossed on this. They're not like Roberts. All five of them are fucking psycho, the least psycho of them is Kavanaugh.

Have to admit, any time that sorta application of 'far right', I do have to wonder if the perception of the political spectrum is tuned accurately.  Using it that broadly covers so many people it is frankly ridiculous.

Seriously, it has the same energy as calling all the remaining judges 'far left'.  I doesn't really mean anything anymore.
There is nothing ridiculous about it. If someone believes in a nativist, authoritarian, bigoted political philosophy, they are far-right. It's not any harder to be far-right than center-right, center-left, or far-left. You don't have to put on a Klan hood, you just need to believe in a politics that makes Klan hoods into Decent Folk Who Just Want Order.

Thomas - Literally believes in a pre-civil war conception of legal philosophy that even the main """originalist""" movement rejects, thinks the Equal Protection Clause means the government shouldn't be able to make civil rights laws.

Alito - Has no legal philosophy beyond the long-term enforcement of RNC minority rule, moderate theocrat.

Gorsuch - Human text parsing machine, resolves all inherent conflicts with this idea by appealing to dead slavers.

Kavanaugh - Has no legal philosophy. He's got every trait one would expect from a dog, all except loyalty. He'll fall in line if told to.

Barrett - Theocrat and dominionist. Flat out. And for an extra level of crazy, being a woman theocrat makes this so much worse. She's a true believer to want to subjugate herself.

These people can compose themselves in public. They're ruling class representatives. But don't think for a second that they won't legalize torture and criminalize voting, or anything else that the RNC thinks might get them back in power someday should they lose. And if they win? I don't even dare to think of it. The existing court is bad, but as bad is it has been they have been held back by Robert's fear of being remembered as the man who killed the court all these years. That's about to change.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:18:48 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40787 on: October 23, 2020, 08:23:17 pm »

yeah just because to trump, joe biden is literally far-left anarchy joe doesn't mean that those words don't actually mean something when used by other people.

Unrelated: Today had the highest cases of the pandemic in the US, eclipsing July 16th's record.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40788 on: October 23, 2020, 08:36:26 pm »

Putting aside polling data and other such momentary indicators due to the sheer level of clusterfuck that trying to get any truly reliable information on exactly where everyone's opinions are, what is it that people here think would be the future in a Biden landslide and a Trump landslide?  And as much as it tempts you, trying not to go for the best and worst case scenario for your preferred/unpreferred candidate and in such future any investigation into fraud would prove the election legitimate.

Biden has already said nothing will change if he's elected, except he also has said he wants more conservative judges so he can overturn Roe v Wade (kind of his big goal). The major difference I can see with him winning is the Democrats learn that being more racist/homophobic benefited them.

Trump isn't very smart or skilled at what he's doing, but I can see him getting crazier until he does some harm to someone important enough to stop him. And if he wins big enough (probably neither candidate will, but that's not the question) that will take a lot more.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40789 on: October 23, 2020, 08:40:33 pm »

Biden ... said he wants more conservative judges so he can overturn Roe v Wade (kind of his big goal)

Hang on what now
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40790 on: October 23, 2020, 08:42:24 pm »

Biden has already said nothing will change if he's elected, except he also has said he wants more conservative judges so he can overturn Roe v Wade (kind of his big goal).
Y'know, I think I asked for a source on this before, with nothing materializing. Nearest I can actually find that even looks sort of like that is a comment older than I am. His most recent ones include a pledge to push to outright legislate the roe v wade decision if barrett gets confirmed and goes on to fuck with it. Anti-abortion groups seem to currently fucking hate biden, so if he's supportive of their horseshit they seem to have missed it.

So, like. Again, where are you getting this from?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40791 on: October 23, 2020, 08:43:10 pm »

Biden has already said nothing will change if he's elected, except he also has said he wants more conservative judges so he can overturn Roe v Wade (kind of his big goal).
Y'know, I think I asked for a source on this before, with nothing materializing. Nearest I can actually find that even looks sort of like that is a comment older than I am. His most recent ones include a pledge to push to outright legislate the roe v wade decision if barrett gets confirmed and goes on to fuck with it. Anti-abortion groups seem to currently fucking hate biden, so if he's supportive of their horseshit they seem to have missed it.

So, like. Again, where are you getting this from?

This was also my understanding. Citation would be earth-shattering to me.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40792 on: October 23, 2020, 08:50:14 pm »

Trump winning a landslide would mean turnout was waaaaaaay below 2016 levels, for comparison there were 47 million early votes by mail and in person in 2016, we're currently over 53 million with two weeks to go and several states yet to begin early voting.

Them ain't the numbers dude was looking for, we're probably gonna pass 40% of the 2016 vote total just in early voting tonight/early tomorrow, and various projection ranges on total votes suggest 150 million isn't unlikely, while 2016 was around 128 million, and Trump and the gang were probably hoping for closer to 100 million with as many democrats as possible staying home.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40793 on: October 23, 2020, 09:11:02 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:01:13 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40794 on: October 23, 2020, 09:34:39 pm »

Was it supporting the Hyde amendment, or not supporting removal of the Hyde amendment? Due to the amendment's location and how the approps process works (or doesn't work), the two answers aren't quite the same.

And the 2019 quote I'm finding on Biden is him changing his position to oppose the amendment (after much pressure from his primary opponents).

Thomas - Literally believes in a pre-civil war conception of legal philosophy that even the main """originalist""" movement rejects, thinks the Equal Protection Clause means the government shouldn't be able to make civil rights laws.

Alito - Has no legal philosophy beyond the long-term enforcement of RNC minority rule, moderate theocrat.

Gorsuch - Human text parsing machine, resolves all inherent conflicts with this idea by appealing to dead slavers.

Kavanaugh - Has no legal philosophy. He's got every trait one would expect from a dog, all except loyalty. He'll fall in line if told to.

Barrett - Theocrat and dominionist. Flat out. And for an extra level of crazy, being a woman theocrat makes this so much worse. She's a true believer to want to subjugate herself.

The thing is, that even if one assumes those descriptions are 100% accurate, that still means you should win a case in favor of court expansion. It's not even one of the constitutional amendments, it's the original thing itself and quite explicitly at that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40795 on: October 24, 2020, 12:10:52 am »

You make the mistake of assuming these people will follow your interpretation of their ideology. They won't. Even the center-right operates on the malicious genie principle - indulgent of ideas when they're in power, but willing to do whatever is necessary when that power is threatened. That's why all the people who said they wouldn't vote to confirm are now voting to confirm. The rhetoric is secondary to the power.

Or as Sartre put it, fascists feel they have the right to play with words in bad faith, because they know you believe in words. But the fascist does not themselves believe in words. They believe in the sword and the gun.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40796 on: October 24, 2020, 01:56:49 am »

Arguably there are enough supreme court cases in the last year alone to speak contra to that -- e.g. it's not like Trump has won every supreme court case -- though that can't really be a predictor of how they act when there's this sort of question/topic on the line.

Edit: Also worth noting that the court's official enforcement power is kind of... culturally based? E.g. Worcester v. Georgia, or the ability of congress to defund/abolish the Marshals Service. Congress ultimately has power over judicial power, it's mainly popular opinion and the threat of public backlash that keeps them from messing with the courts too much.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:03:51 am by Dostoevsky »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40798 on: October 24, 2020, 02:25:32 am »

^^

I hate to be "that guy", but hasn't the refrain against political power mongering of the executive, been that it's only useful until the guy in power turns out to be a complete fascist, and assumes full control.

Well, This article pretty much proves the point, and drives it home.  This is why we don't give rulers all the power they want, and hobble them with restraints. 

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40799 on: October 24, 2020, 02:31:27 am »

There's been some discussion of it in my work circles; if Trump gets a second term it would be more akin to the article's description (in terms of annihilating a lot of positions).

If Biden wins the potential for "burrowing" is there, but it wouldn't be a long-term sabotage. Might mess with the administration for a few months though.

For reference the EO itself is here.

One thing to remember is that people there are already going to have their hands full pushing 'midnight regulations' out the door in the final months in the event of a Trump loss -- their track record on walking and chewing gum hasn't been great in this administration.
Pages: 1 ... 2718 2719 [2720] 2721 2722 ... 3566