Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2683 2684 [2685] 2686 2687 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224167 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40260 on: October 08, 2020, 12:35:33 am »

The good news is, by all account, cities appear to still be demographic sinks on average just like they were in centuries past - meaning that, without constant incoming migration (not necessarily 'immigration' in the national sense) from less dense areas, the populations there would rapidly decline. Disease and overcrowding were always the masters of city life, and that never really stopped happening, we just got better at hiding it for a very short time. They're making a comeback in a big way for many reasons, and it will not be possible to stop them.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40261 on: October 08, 2020, 12:38:12 am »

You should watch the documentary about Agafia Karpovna Lykova, the Russian hermit.

If I went to live out in the woods like that my footprint would be small indeed - I wouldn't survive for one month.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40262 on: October 08, 2020, 12:50:23 am »

Do you really want a bunch of extra irritable people who don't want to be in a city, stuck in your city with you? It's necessary to have that sort of safety valve for society if you're not planning on resorting to extreme measures like permanently disposing of people who can't adapt socially to city life.

People more move out of the city (like I said above) because its expensive to live in a city, at least thats the most common reason. My friend and his family moved to a semi-rural area because that is what they could afford, bought a nice house for 200k where as in middle of a city it be far more than that. And many rural areas outside California can buy a house, with a huge amount of land for the same price (around 200k on average depending how much land there is).

Mostly nothing to do with being able to adapt socially, purely economic. Of course, some people probably just hate cities and want to be by themselves or in a small town. Or want to be more part of nature. But mostly, its just vastly cheaper to live in a rural/semi-rural area than it is a city. And my friend and his family ended up saving a ton more money than where they used to live, despite the increase in travel times.

(edit:

Plus especially with covid, more of a reason to move out of a city. If not covid, because of the loss of jobs. I worked as a janitor at a hospital, it paid pretty well (far better than fast food or food delivery, and I found it a lot easier than my burger king job, if probably pretty gross sometimes if a patient had an accident in the bathroom. But still better than dealing with nasty customers), but I was one of the first laid off. Granted in their defense, they had 20 janitors for each floor when it could easily be half that, and they over-hired in general)...and my parents lost their job once covid hit, and while my job alone can't afford most places in California, with my parents income we could afford a pretty nice condo. So to sum it up, that is another reason people move out of a city. Either move while one can with the savings they (hopefully) have, if they lost their job to events (whether covid or anything else), and move to an affordable place where one doesn't worry about money. And don't really need to worry about money if got money saved up already, in a semi-rural/rural area. Unless were lucky to have life handed on a silver platter with a rich family and never need to worry about work, covid or not, then I guess being in a city is fine.

Plus who wants to be around people anyway with covid being as bad as it is. Much better to be semi-rural these days.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:21:25 am by The_Explorer »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40263 on: October 08, 2020, 01:33:34 am »

Maybe is just me, but maybe letting Trump have access to his twitter account while jacked up with some sort of stimulants is probably not the best idea

I reckon that ain’t possible under the circumstances anyhow.  White House is pretty empty I heard.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40264 on: October 08, 2020, 01:40:53 am »

You're right - wierd, I'm moving in with you. I'm bringing my whole family.
Better!

Most people move out of the city (or at least a good portion) because its cheaper. My family is moving out of the city and california, to a rural state and somewhere outside an urban area (but staying close enough to stores and good internet), because we can't afford to live in a city. California is worse (though not the worst state) when it comes to the price of living, than most states in the US. And don't even look at San Francisco, the rent there is insane. It costs more to live in a one tiny little room shack than it does a house in the southern part of California lol. And people can have two programming jobs in SF, and still be forced to live in their car. Its no wonder people move out of cities to cheaper parts of the state or cheaper states in general,  when that happens. But, all of California is pretty expensive, we looked out in the boondocks and it still is a lot because then the price to travel to work goes up a ton with gas prices and travel time, and then our vehicle requires more maintenance for the multiple long trips.
don't get me started on San Fransisco. the fact, though, is that pricing is ultimately a matter of economy and the rules of land ownership and property, and not directly related to our ability to continue living on this planet in the next century, which is what is at issue here.

This is pretty much completely untrue in the context in which it's being deployed. You're confusing the growth of suburbs, a real problem caused by overpopulation, with the tiny percentage of people who want to fuck off and live in the woods, who cause next to no environmental problems because they have a pretty small footprint to begin with and then there are hardly any of them.
I am conflating them but while they are often considered seperate issues I see one as the extreme end of the other. Again, I point to Wyoming as the state producing the most carbon emissions per capita. Coincidentally, the state with the smallest population! A state with 0.179% percent of the population and 1.2% of the polution! That's pretty fucking horrible! Who the fuck do you think you are, Wyoming? (If anyone from this chat is from Wyoming, I am very sincerely not sorry, but that's fine because statistically no one probably is!
Furthermore, individual people's lives are an infinitesimal part of the human environmental footprint by any metric, even those suburbanites who water their carefully manicured lawns. You know why Wyoming and Alaska have such high CO2 emissions per capita? Because they're major fossil fuel producers.
Point of order, name a state with low population density whose primary contribution to the economy isn't a major fossil fuel producer. Seriously I am sincerely am having trouble finding one. Probably one that is entirely reliant on agricultural output? The main exception on my chart is oregon (eighth place).
The problem is industry - which means the problem is, in fact, all those New Yorkers (by the way, I notice you assume New York is just the city, but there's a whole extra fifty-four thousand square miles which are much closer to Wyoming on average) who are using energy extracted from Wyoming and Alaska without having to account for the environmental damage on their own personal books.
A common trope, but in fact quite untrue except in the general sense that any amount of economy is intrinsically bad for the environment through power; you cannot conflate "Industry" with the specific business that is fossil fuel extraction and then claim that one = other, because you would then face the fact that the overwhelming availability of public transit in New York means vastly less use of fossil fuels compared with everyone in new york city living somewhere else and owning a car. That is the trick of per capita. You claim "individual people's lives don't add up to much", but in fact it is precisely to fuel such lives that the industry of fossil fuel extraction is necessitated; these are inextricably linked.

I am not saying that New York, say, recyles more or some such feel good nonsense like that (which wouldn't really pay for the cost of the industry supporting it to occur in the first place, as you rightly point out), I am saying it uses less.
(by the way, I notice you assume New York is just the city, but there's a whole extra fifty-four thousand square miles which are much closer to Wyoming on average)
I don't! New York State has the lowest CO2 emissions per capita of any state in the Union. Which tells you how incredible the impact is: that just having the city in brings New York to number one, even including the much less dense rest of the state. Which should tell you that New York State is more of a true "middleground" between living in the city and not; if the distribution of urbanization, population, and public transport in this country was closer to that of New York State, there would still be plenty of room for people doing whatever the fuck they want with their lives if they are like sluissa and hate the idea of other people. Instead, it is the outlier, which is why the environment continues to be very much fucked into the foreseeable future.

(An actual example of a strictly urban state would be DC, which indeed has even lower per capita than new york (by half, even!), but it is merely a territory and thus not included).
Maybe is just me, but maybe letting Trump have access to his twitter account while jacked up with some sort of stimulants is probably not the best idea

I reckon that ain’t possible under the circumstances anyhow.  White House is pretty empty I heard.
I think it's a great idea so long as he doesn't start a war. He's doing a marvelous job of campaigning against himself.

On the other hand, the second of the five military aides who handle the nuclear football has tested positive, so maybe restraining ol' donald might be required in the immediate future.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:48:05 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40265 on: October 08, 2020, 01:45:23 am »

A common trope, but in fact quite untrue except in the general sense that any amount of economy is intrinsically bad for the environment through power; you cannot conflate "Industry" with the specific business that is fossil fuel extraction and then claim that one = other, because you would then face the fact that the overwhelming availability of public transit in New York means vastly less use of fossil fuels compared with everyone in new york city living somewhere else and owning a car.
Ah, wrong again! Human transportation is the minority use of fossil fuels. New Yorkers use much more in virtually every other way.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40266 on: October 08, 2020, 01:54:20 am »

Such as?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40267 on: October 08, 2020, 01:54:36 am »

Power generation, then as the raw material for plastic (for everything from take-out trays, to shopping bags (even the reusable ones), clothing (anything made from synthetic fiber)and starbuck's cups), then for heat in the buildings (natural gas is a fossil fuel), then further for a wide assortment of products, such as many colorants, dyes, foodstuffs (Yes, fossil fuels reprocessed into various useful food additives, but also for fertilizers used to enhance fields to supply the necessary food density to supply a dense city), medicines, etc....

Fossil fuel is used in more areas than you would care to consider.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:57:29 am by wierd »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40268 on: October 08, 2020, 02:01:29 am »

Also heating, which turns out to be one of the biggest sectors for huge window-plastered buildings at NYC latitudes.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40269 on: October 08, 2020, 02:42:18 am »

Yeah, hydrocarbons have a huge range of uses in organic chemistry due to their basic building-block nature. Makes it seem imprudent to me to burn them, even considered over still using them for other purposes.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40270 on: October 08, 2020, 03:02:56 am »

I'm not an expert in the power sector, but my understanding is that the RTOs/ISOs/whatever the acronym is means that New York wouldn't be getting Wyoming power generation regardless - it's physically not hooked up that way.

(Pennsylvania's fossil fuels is another story, of course, but if I recall correctly NY's doing pretty decently on the whole in regards to clean v. dirty power usage.)

There's a lot of other factors at play here, including that WY's (state) environmental laws and (state/federal) implementation plans of federal environmental standards are all sorts of messed up. (This is true for most, but not all, fossil fuel producing states. Guess why.)

Also the issue of industrial products-- would be worth knowing the material consumption of the average NY resident v. the average WY resident, including e.g. housing materials and the like. How different would they be?

(But I really ought to get to bed instead of thinking about this.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40271 on: October 08, 2020, 03:14:52 am »

BTU.

British Thermal Unit.

It's a measurement of total thermal energy created from combustion of a fuel, as applied to thermo-electric power generation, such as is done with a steam turbine power plant.

It is defined similarly to the calorie, only using imperial measurements instead of metric ones.

(BTU == Energy needed to heat one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit, where calorie == the energy needed to heat one gram of water one degree Centigrade.)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 03:18:57 am by wierd »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40272 on: October 08, 2020, 03:30:23 am »

Ironic that BTUs aren't use in B, any more. Joules and Watt-Hours (domestically as kJ and kWh, at industrial and infrastructure levels more likely as MJ and MWh or beyond) ithese days. Not that we really understand them, because we can't really hold them in our hands. (Although switching a 100W light on for ten hours is fairly tangible, I suppose, even if it's probably not quite right for other reasons.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40273 on: October 08, 2020, 04:28:43 am »

I'm not an expert in the power sector, but my understanding is that the RTOs/ISOs/whatever the acronym is means that New York wouldn't be getting Wyoming power generation regardless - it's physically not hooked up that way.
Yes, but NY's power generation still uses fossil fuels imported from elsewhere (probably including Wyoming). The fossil fuels aren't necessarily burned in situ, there's a whole market for them.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40274 on: October 08, 2020, 06:28:35 am »

Google Scholar is your friend:
https://scholar.google.nl/scholar?q=energy+footprint+urban+vs+rural&hl=nl&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&safe=active

relevant abstract (emphasis mine):
Sustainable consumption has been addressed from different perspectives in numerous studies. Recently, urban structure-related lifestyle issues have gained more emphasis in the research as cities search for effective strategies to reduce their 80% share of the global carbon emissions. However, the prevailing belief often seen is that cities would be more sustainable in nature compared to surrounding suburban and rural areas. This paper will illustrate, by studying four different urban structure related lifestyles in Finland, that the situation might be reversed. Actually, substantially more carbon emissions seem to be caused on a per capita level in cities than in suburban and rural areas. This is mainly due to the higher income level in larger urban centers, but even housing-related emissions seem to favor less urbanized areas. The method of the study is a consumption-based life cycle assessment of carbon emissions. In more detail, a hybrid life cycle assessment (LCA) model, that is comprehensive in providing a full inventory and can accommodate process data, is utilized.
Pages: 1 ... 2683 2684 [2685] 2686 2687 ... 3566