Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2661 2662 [2663] 2664 2665 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227890 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39930 on: October 02, 2020, 08:51:42 am »

Word is, he's having to pay a succubus the same deal Stormy Daniels got. People are saying it, everyone is saying it. Just go look at the Internet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39931 on: October 02, 2020, 08:52:16 am »

RE: Spiritualism, Magic, and negativity

It goes against the principle of the rede, so wiccans would be loath to try such a thing.
Purposefully hurtful curses are supposed to rebound 3 fold against the caster.  You aren't supposed to screw around with negative energy.

However, a "back handed" blessing, meant to help the world, acknowledging the goddess' hand in all things, might affect such an outcome 'safely.'

Something along the lines of:

But that's some pretty dark assed shit. :P  Only somebody willing to catch the Rona, and catch it bad, should recite such a thing.  :)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39932 on: October 02, 2020, 10:44:01 am »

WH has announced that both Trump and Melania are showing mild symptoms. So any chance of being asymptomatic and able to attend the 10/15 debate are out the window.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39933 on: October 02, 2020, 10:46:13 am »

Prez debate ZOOM meeting!!

DEMAND IT!

(lol!)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39934 on: October 02, 2020, 10:47:46 am »

Welp, there's always room for condition to worsen. Unless that stem cell nonsense is actually real, if it does worsen...well, a ventilator is not easy to recover from, and unlike with Johnson this is right before the election.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39935 on: October 02, 2020, 10:53:40 am »

"Natural selection" sounds a little more than sociopathic if you recall the proportions of deaths for black and hispanic americans.

I think there was a chud in this thread arguing precisely this (that it's the genetics of race and personal stupidity causing higher death rates in American minorities, and that this is a good thing).

Ah, here it is:

The US has a death rate on par or below that of demographically similar countries . . . There is no statistical basis to think that America has done significantly worse than any other country relative to its population base, and it's clear that, for example, it is doing much better than the European average.
So you're saying that because minorities died at a higher rate than white people that proves the response wasn't fucked up?
No, I'm saying that people of European descent died in one place at comparable rates to people of European descent died at another place, and it's important to compare apples to apples because genetic background matters a great deal in medical statistics.

Honestly, what's much more interesting is the huge disconnect in deaths of people of African descent by latitude. The most plausible explanation I've seen is vitamin D.
From a long-term and especially from an evolutionary perspective, the epidemic has been good for the population of the country as a whole.
Epidemics in general are beneficial for the survivors for a variety of reasons, of which the most important is freeing up resources that would otherwise be consumed by relatively low-value individuals.
That's a bit more pessimistic than I would put it — so far, the disease seems frankly amenable to targeting the stupid, as the effect of basic precautions on preventing infection has been extremely strong. Even if people around you are behaving foolishly, you can still take precautions to reduce your own risk to the point that it is unlikely you will catch it from them even as they spread it to each other. Overwhelmingly, the disease has affected people who failed to take basic precautions. There is no such thing as no risk, but as far as plagues go this one is pretty tame.
Still, overall, yes, this is exactly what I'm getting at.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39936 on: October 02, 2020, 10:56:20 am »

Prez debate ZOOM meeting!!

DEMAND IT!

(lol!)
In all honesty, that might be a better format. Then the moderator has a mute function. And the image of Trump soundlessly ranting and flailing his tiny hands while Biden lays out substantive policy proposals would be sublime.

EDIT: Wow, I feel even better about putting that walking foreskin on ignore now. "Low-value individuals" indeed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:58:30 am by RedKing »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39937 on: October 02, 2020, 10:59:21 am »

I'm hoping for him to be shaken into growing up and developing a sense of perspective on the world by an experience that causes him to re-evaluate his entire life and become a better* person.

* Read: basically decent for a change.

I was hoping so with Boris Johnson. With Trump.. I just hope he gets well. He is a 70 year old toddler with responsibilities that he can't handle. He's done bad things, but what do you expect from a toddler? He's still a human being.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39938 on: October 02, 2020, 11:19:32 am »

Boris Johnson got better.

Boris Johnson is also 20 years younger and a good deal lighter (overweight vs obese).

Here's to hoping our pres has his bleach shots and a quantity of hydroxychloroquine at the ready.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39939 on: October 02, 2020, 11:37:46 am »

I'm hoping for him to be shaken into growing up and developing a sense of perspective on the world by an experience that causes him to re-evaluate his entire life and become a better* person.

* Read: basically decent for a change.

I was hoping so with Boris Johnson. With Trump.. I just hope he gets well. He is a 70 year old toddler with responsibilities that he can't handle. He's done bad things, but what do you expect from a toddler? He's still a human being.
I actually hope he survives, but ravaged. In a wheelchair and on oxygen, so he can live out his remaining days as a monument to his own failures. Plus, his base feeds on his projecting an image of strength and masculinity. Tough to do that when you're pooping in a colostomy bag and hauling around a metal tank like a sad old lady at an Atlantic City slot machine.

BoJo, I genuinely wished well. He's a doof, but I get the feeling he's still essentially human. Trump is like an 80's movie corporate villain dialed up to 11.5.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39940 on: October 02, 2020, 11:59:10 am »

Thoughts and... well, mostly just thoughts, that's all I got. Well-wishes! That's the one.   
Here's hoping his reservoir of inner fortitude is enough to effect a swift recovery.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39941 on: October 02, 2020, 12:36:05 pm »

Oooh! Apparently the new Q talking point is that Trump actually isn't sick, this was orchestrated to move him to "a secure location" so that the widespread arrests of the Deep State can begin. XD XD XD

God, Qtards are almost adorable at this point. It's like watching a kid angrily declare that Santa Claus is real and feverishly concocting explanations to allow that belief to continue, even as their logical brain is putting the pieces together and realizing with sickening certitude that they've been had. The key difference being that kids don't usually barge into pizza parlors with an AR-15 looking for Santa Claus.

EDIT: One of the bits of evidence is that he ended his tweet announcing his positive result by saying "We will get through this TOGETHER!" which they cast their oracle bones and gematriya about and with a brilliant bit of deduction, realized that TOGETHER = TO GET HER (i.e. Hillary Clinton). I mean, you can't argue with that.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akzx3g/qanon-believers-think-trump-got-covid-on-purpose-because-of-course-they-do
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:41:32 pm by RedKing »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39942 on: October 02, 2020, 12:37:24 pm »

I think there was a chud in this thread arguing precisely this (that it's the genetics of race and personal stupidity causing higher death rates in American minorities, and that this is a good thing).

Ah, here it is:

The US has a death rate on par or below that of demographically similar countries . . . There is no statistical basis to think that America has done significantly worse than any other country relative to its population base, and it's clear that, for example, it is doing much better than the European average.
So you're saying that because minorities died at a higher rate than white people that proves the response wasn't fucked up?
No, I'm saying that people of European descent died in one place at comparable rates to people of European descent died at another place, and it's important to compare apples to apples because genetic background matters a great deal in medical statistics.

Honestly, what's much more interesting is the huge disconnect in deaths of people of African descent by latitude. The most plausible explanation I've seen is vitamin D.
From a long-term and especially from an evolutionary perspective, the epidemic has been good for the population of the country as a whole.
Epidemics in general are beneficial for the survivors for a variety of reasons, of which the most important is freeing up resources that would otherwise be consumed by relatively low-value individuals.
That's a bit more pessimistic than I would put it — so far, the disease seems frankly amenable to targeting the stupid, as the effect of basic precautions on preventing infection has been extremely strong. Even if people around you are behaving foolishly, you can still take precautions to reduce your own risk to the point that it is unlikely you will catch it from them even as they spread it to each other. Overwhelmingly, the disease has affected people who failed to take basic precautions. There is no such thing as no risk, but as far as plagues go this one is pretty tame.
Still, overall, yes, this is exactly what I'm getting at.
Lol, you dishonestly fail to include the post that I said "was exactly what I'm getting at", which reveals the horrible truth that, from the third quote down, I was talking about... elderly white Baby Boomers, not minorities.
As for the first two quotes, those are absolutely true and shouldn't be objectionable. Do you somehow assert that people of all races synthesize the same amount of vitamin D, which is proven to be linked directly to skin colour?

ETA: I really just can't stand people like you who act like their piety for equality means that actual real-life medically important genetic group differences don't matter. Minority members die every day because insufficient attention is paid to the way differences in symptom prevalence, medicinal effects, and hundreds of other factors require different treatment paradigms, in situations ranging from cardiovascular incidents to childbirth, largely because doctors assume that studies done on white college kids are representative. These issues are known, yet people still ignore them, and people still die because others ignored them. You are contributing to this.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:55:48 pm by Maximum Spin »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39943 on: October 02, 2020, 12:37:44 pm »

I just don't understand why they aren't doing the death and resurrection thing. All this "the arrests start soon, secure location" shit is old hat and the Qult has long since gone outright supernatural anyway, why be so boring?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39944 on: October 02, 2020, 01:07:13 pm »

I just don't understand why they aren't doing the death and resurrection thing. All this "the arrests start soon, secure location" shit is old hat and the Qult has long since gone outright supernatural anyway, why be so boring?
I would respect them more of they did, if only by a small margin.

Yeah, uh, Maximum, you know that there's more than one explanation for covid deaths disproportionately hitting minority communities, right? Not just vitamin D, but the fact that minorities tend to work more "essential" jobs and are much less likely to be able to work from home - in addition, higher poverty rates result in worse care, generally speaking, compounding the issue. It's telling that a bunch of boomers wanted to re-open, but it's minorities getting disproportionately sick serving them at restaurants and such.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 2661 2662 [2663] 2664 2665 ... 3567