Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2594 2595 [2596] 2597 2598 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228287 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38925 on: August 26, 2020, 12:03:19 pm »

Sorry for continuing the derailment even further than it already was, this information was very interesting

Back to AmeriPol topic
The Supreme Court ruled 6-3 ruling that sexual discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination, and gender identity discrimination are prohibited

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38926 on: August 26, 2020, 12:06:05 pm »

A core set of recurring ideas tend to be called archetypes, from my experience-- sometimes "Tropes".

Such as "Pretty female protagonist", or "Good is beautiful", "Save the world, get the girl", etc.

The "obnoxious, privileged white woman with asymmetric bob hair that wants to see the manager over some trivial matter" being the "Karen" archetype, for example.

A meme is just an archetype that self-replicates, and embeds itself deeply in the cultural zeitgeist. A meme is therefor a special kind of archetype, but is still just an archetype.

Ideas as middle-sized white-goods, yet again...   :(

The smallest unit is a monad. Everything is monads!
Half a monad is a hemiad.
Half a hemiad is a hamadryad.

We are in desperate need of funding for the next generation hamadryad-collider.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38927 on: August 26, 2020, 01:04:29 pm »

Sorry for continuing the derailment even further than it already was, this information was very interesting

Back to AmeriPol topic
The Supreme Court ruled 6-3 ruling that sexual discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination, and gender identity discrimination are prohibited

I assume you meant this story (linked inside the one you linked): https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-existing-civil-rights-law-protects-gay-lesbian-n1231018

The story you linked is interesting as well, but not surprising.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38928 on: August 26, 2020, 01:09:37 pm »

Back to AmeriPol topic

I assume you meant this story (linked inside the one you linked): https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-existing-civil-rights-law-protects-gay-lesbian-n1231018

The story you linked is interesting as well, but not surprising.
I focused on the Supreme Court bit, since it seemed more important in the grand scale of things than the story’s primary topic

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38929 on: August 26, 2020, 01:34:59 pm »

The headline item is more the dogwhistling "they're forcing girls and boys to shower togethe!r",.with the bare-faced implication that all boys are being foistered into the girls' showers, based upon a ruling that girls that they refuse to see as anything other than boys must be considered for full participation in the girls' sporting activities.

It's just the next objection on from the 'restroom' mistepresentation, based upon the SCOTUS decision to reasonably allow such appropriate participation, couched in lazy and condescending terms that it sounds like something it isn't.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38930 on: August 27, 2020, 09:36:14 pm »

Donald Trump is a boring, boring speaker. He sounds like the priest I had at church growing up.

He starts low and quickly goes up in tone, then stays in that monotone for a while, even ending sentences there, until he finally, finally gets to his point at goes back low.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38931 on: August 27, 2020, 09:50:54 pm »

Donald Trump is a boring, boring speaker. He sounds like the priest I had at church growing up.

He starts low and quickly goes up in tone, then stays in that monotone for a while, even ending sentences there, until he finally, finally gets to his point at goes back low.

what about the invisible accordion he plays with his hands?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38932 on: August 27, 2020, 09:56:23 pm »

what about the invisible accordion he plays with his hands?

He’s mostly been feeling up the podium.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38933 on: August 27, 2020, 10:35:52 pm »

And when you're a speaker, they let you do it. You can do anything... Grab 'em by the pulpit. You can do anything.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38934 on: August 27, 2020, 10:38:29 pm »

Trump said things that weren't true in his speech. Shocking. Shocking and surprising.

Over the past three months, we have gained over 9 million jobs, a new record.

Well that bit's true. However, it's the bounce from a crash, and they lost 22 million first.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:42:35 pm by Reelya »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38935 on: August 28, 2020, 12:43:22 am »

this stupid fascist is so dumb he says "look at this fire we put out" while ignoring the fact that he set the fire in the first place
Black lives matter.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38936 on: August 28, 2020, 01:10:38 am »

Someone should goad him into saying "the police should be allowed to kneel on people's necks, we call that Law and Order".

They've basically made their entire election platform as anti-BLM now.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38937 on: August 28, 2020, 02:37:23 am »

Governor appealing.
*checks picture of Ron DeSantis*

Umm, no. Not really. Looked better on the Google summary where it looks like the pic gets stretched vertically a little, but every actual picture does him little credit in the attractiveness stakes, once you get past the obligatory smile. Even assuming I was susceptible.

Still, you know your tastes better than me..

;)
I don't feel strongly either way.  He looks fine, I'd swipe right in a mood.  Maybe it it says something that his curated pics are just "inoffensive".
Ironically, the first picture of him Google showed me looked rather like Bill Hicks. Might have been the gesture he was making.   

this stupid fascist is so dumb he says "look at this fire we put out" while ignoring the fact that he set the fire in the first place
COVID was engineered by the USA, now?  :o   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38938 on: August 28, 2020, 08:17:29 am »

Incredible fumbling of Covid is as American as Apple Pie.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38939 on: August 28, 2020, 11:32:06 am »

COVID was engineered by the USA, now?  :o   

The response to it was. Trump's team actually had a comprehensive national plan being worked on, but after the numbers came in that showed mainly Democrat voting areas were going to be affected, they shelved that plan never to be spoken of again.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

Inside the White House, over much of March and early April, Kushner’s handpicked group of young business associates, which included a former college roommate, teamed up with several top experts from the diagnostic-testing industry. Together, they hammered out the outline of a national testing strategy. The group—working night and day, using the encrypted platform WhatsApp—emerged with a detailed plan obtained by Vanity Fair.

Rather than have states fight each other for scarce diagnostic tests and limited lab capacity, the plan would have set up a system of national oversight and coordination to surge supplies, allocate test kits, lift regulatory and contractual roadblocks, and establish a widespread virus surveillance system by the fall, to help pinpoint subsequent outbreaks.

The solutions it proposed weren’t rocket science—or even comparable to the dauntingly complex undertaking of developing a new vaccine. Any national plan to address testing deficits would likely be more on the level of “replicating UPS for an industry,” said Dr. Mike Pellini, the managing partner of Section 32, a technology and health care venture capital fund. “Imagine if UPS or FedEx didn’t have infrastructure to connect all the dots. It would be complete chaos.”

The plan crafted at the White House, then, set out to connect the dots. Some of those who worked on the plan were told that it would be presented to President Trump and likely announced in the Rose Garden in early April. “I was beyond optimistic,” said one participant. “My understanding was that the final document would make its way to the president over that weekend” and would result in a “significant announcement.”

But no nationally coordinated testing strategy was ever announced. The plan, according to the participant, “just went poof into thin air.”

Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

Killing lots of people and blaming someone else, that's Elections 101 to these people.
Pages: 1 ... 2594 2595 [2596] 2597 2598 ... 3567