Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2593 2594 [2595] 2596 2597 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228026 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38910 on: August 25, 2020, 09:41:25 pm »

Eh. If someone tongue in cheek throwing shade at axioms and whatnot is profoundly insulting to you, you're not familiar enough with them yet, imo :P
It was more the "there's words for this stuff if you care to go looking for them" part. :P

I didn't think you meant to be insulting.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38911 on: August 25, 2020, 09:50:58 pm »

If only you used your greater knowledge to explain why Frumple was wrong.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38912 on: August 25, 2020, 10:03:15 pm »

If only you used your greater knowledge to explain why Frumple was wrong.
He's not really wrong in a meaningful sense, it's just a different philosophical interpretation than I would adopt. I don't agree that an axiom constitutes "the smallest (or simplest or indivisible) part of an idea" — in fact axioms can be quite large and complicated, it's just something that you take for granted. But it seemed like a profoundly stupid thing to argue about so I didn't bother.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38913 on: August 25, 2020, 10:14:11 pm »

lol autocorrectodoxy, repent for your neologisms
nevar

Governor appealing.
*checks picture of Ron DeSantis*

Umm, no. Not really. Looked better on the Google summary where it looks like the pic gets stretched vertically a little, but every actual picture does him little credit in the attractiveness stakes, once you get past the obligatory smile. Even assuming I was susceptible.

Still, you know your tastes better than me..

;)
I don't feel strongly either way.  He looks fine, I'd swipe right in a mood.  Maybe it it says something that his curated pics are just "inoffensive".
Not like Mitch McConnell looking looking like a furby in even his best pictures - but appearance is a terrible way to gauge threats to liberty.

I always thought Mitch looked like an Innsmouth Mass. resident.

His shameless and wanton disregard for proper civics just plays into that, especially when he gives that glassy, "One eye wanders to one side and looks like it is blind-staring" look.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38914 on: August 25, 2020, 10:16:33 pm »

I mean, I'm pretty sure, and as near as I can tell from a quick refresher google correct enough for idle chatter, there actually are words for the smallest segments of linguistic or written expression (which is somewhat separate from the axiom babble, to be fair)? The phon/morph/graph -eme stuff (word sound, concept, physically written thingy, more or less and probably scrubbing over nuance 'cause, again, I'm just not terribly interested in the subject), which are probably broken down even more by folks that really bury themselves in that sort of thing.

The axiom thing theoretically can be big, but they're also where the buck stops in regards to (formal, in particular) logic and you stop being able to break down a concept or proposition any further 'cause there's just nothing left you can produce but what you assume. They're the building blocks of everything we do in terms of anything systemic (i.e. All communication and thought, at a minimum), literally the only possible indivisible aspect of a concept, and consequently the tiniest you can chop an idea down to :P

Though it might be worth eternally noting that smallest or simplest doesn't always entail small or simple, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38915 on: August 26, 2020, 02:56:48 am »

I mean, I'm pretty sure, and as near as I can tell from a quick refresher google correct enough for idle chatter, there actually are words for the smallest segments of linguistic or written expression (which is somewhat separate from the axiom babble, to be fair)? The phon/morph/graph -eme stuff (word sound, concept, physically written thingy, more or less and probably scrubbing over nuance 'cause, again, I'm just not terribly interested in the subject), which are probably broken down even more by folks that really bury themselves in that sort of thing.
These aren't really about ideas, though, but words. For example, the letter c is not typically considered part of an idea. :P

You are right that they do exist, though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38916 on: August 26, 2020, 03:02:32 am »

A core set of recurring ideas tend to be called archetypes, from my experience-- sometimes "Tropes".

Such as "Pretty female protagonist", or "Good is beautiful", "Save the world, get the girl", etc.

The "obnoxious, privileged white woman with asymmetric bob hair that wants to see the manager over some trivial matter" being the "Karen" archetype, for example.

A meme is just an archetype that self-replicates, and embeds itself deeply in the cultural zeitgeist. A meme is therefor a special kind of archetype, but is still just an archetype.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38917 on: August 26, 2020, 05:34:33 am »

The RNC is insane, in case anyone isn't watching.

Some surprisingly good speakers so far (I mean, their delivery, not their content.) I was really hoping it'd be a lot of people pulling a Trump and just sort of bleary-eyed reading a speech clearly for the first time.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38918 on: August 26, 2020, 05:53:58 am »

2 dead, 1 injured, in Wisconsin protests over shooting of Jacob Blake

EDIT: I've been trying to piece together the events.

• BLM protesters and home defense militia meet up, there's a bunch of argument. Protesters may have been herded by police (unconfirmed).
  • Argument flares up and someone gets shot in the head. NSFW video. The video is spliced, so I don't know if the events in the video are linked. Different NSFW POV, a molotov a plastic bag containing something (NSFW) is thrown at the shooter before the shots are fired. The timing of the shots match, so I assume they are of the same event.
  • Shooter gets chased down by the mob, eventually stumbles or is brought down to the ground, and opens fire again. NSFW POV 1, NSFW POV 2. The timing of the shots match, so I assume they are of the same event. Audio suggests there might be more shooters in the area. Not sure if these two videos are related to the first two videos, though.

Wisconsin is not a stand-your-ground state. It looks like the shooter did retreat, but may have used excessive force. Either way, it's a clusterfuck.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:38:32 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38919 on: August 26, 2020, 06:07:28 am »

The RNC is insane, in case anyone isn't watching.

Some surprisingly good speakers so far (I mean, their delivery, not their content.) I was really hoping it'd be a lot of people pulling a Trump and just sort of bleary-eyed reading a speech clearly for the first time.

While the source for this is....... (ahem) infamous (ahem), it seems they culled the lineup to prevent that happening.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rnc-speaker-boosts-qanon-conspiracy-theory-about-jewish-plot-to-enslave-the-world-1

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38920 on: August 26, 2020, 10:53:52 am »

The smallest unit is a monad. Everything is monads!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38921 on: August 26, 2020, 11:21:29 am »

Half a monad is a hemiad.
Half a hemiad is a hamadryad.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38922 on: August 26, 2020, 11:25:30 am »

Half a monad is a hemiad.
Half a hemiad is a hamadryad.
hemadryads sound like dryads that’s deal with blood

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38923 on: August 26, 2020, 11:43:02 am »

No, it's just more monads, all the way down!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38924 on: August 26, 2020, 11:55:47 am »

(A dryad is a tree spirit, in general (and female, if there's a distinction between them and the male drus), while a hamadryad is more specifically a spirit of a tree, bound to it rather than just perhaps a caretaker of a copse/wood/forest/plantation. It depends upon the mythology/interpretation involved. Cut down a tree against the wishes of a dryad, if they're still angry at you afterwards then they're not a full hamadryad (and may yet have revenge on their mind), but if they're dead/dissolved/etc as the trunk is fully severed then they are (not that this stops all trees, but it's as likely as not to be). Hæmodryads would be... Interesting. Depending on how you interpret them. Sap-monster(esse)s? Or vampiric tree-spirits that take a plant's search for nutrients to a whole set of different levels?)
Pages: 1 ... 2593 2594 [2595] 2596 2597 ... 3567