Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2581 2582 [2583] 2584 2585 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225327 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38730 on: August 17, 2020, 04:55:27 pm »

Geez, who would let this guy stick around?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38731 on: August 17, 2020, 04:59:22 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:16 pm by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38732 on: August 18, 2020, 06:28:46 am »

So it looks like Trmump is going to win the elections by means of destroying the postal services.  Brilliant!
I wonder if not counting votes that have been posted in time, but do not arrive in time is even legal.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38733 on: August 18, 2020, 06:46:52 am »

I wonder if not counting votes that have been posted in time, but do not arrive in time is even legal.
Of course it is. The alternative would be to leave open the risk, however remote, of an election being found invalid retroactively - after the entire Presidency, if our postal service were as bad as some countries'.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38734 on: August 18, 2020, 06:52:09 am »

I don't follow that logic.
Not counting a lot of votes after the current president actively sabotages the postal service sounds much more like a risk to democracy than delaying the final vote count until all legally cast, but illegally delayed votes have come in.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38735 on: August 18, 2020, 06:58:54 am »

Votes don't equate to presidency - as Bush and Trump both lost the popular vote (at least once with Bush), but won by electoral votes. If the electoral college makes its decision before votes arrive, then that's just how it goes.

Alaska votes so 'late' that the polls are still open when announcements are coming in on the day of the election.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38736 on: August 18, 2020, 07:41:35 am »

I don't follow that logic.
Not counting a lot of votes after the current president actively sabotages the postal service sounds much more like a risk to democracy than delaying the final vote count until all legally cast, but illegally delayed votes have come in.
Since we don't know how many legally cast votes there ARE, we don't know when that is, and we could find vote that have been accidentally shoved in a closet somewhere (or "accidentally") years later, in principle. You would never be able to actually call an election anymore. Since the electors have to vote at some point, and it has to be before the inauguration, Congress is entitled to set a deadline.

Also, a sitting president is legally entitled to sabotage the postal service to whatever degree his executive power and Congress allow. There is no Constitutional right to post or to vote by post.

(I am assuming that by "final vote count" you mean within a state, so that what is at stake is an individual electoral vote.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38737 on: August 18, 2020, 07:44:32 am »

I guess you will have no choice then and go vote in person, despite the corona risk.
Dying of, or killing your fellow voters with corona is preferable over another 4 years of insanity.

Besides, another 4 years of Trump will probably cause more corona deaths than everyone going out to vote once.

And yeah, sorry, I forgot that you guys don't have a real democracy, but more like a Chinese system where the Party Committee votes for the new Leader.  Except, instead of one party, you have two.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:47:47 am by martinuzz »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38738 on: August 18, 2020, 07:46:57 am »

I certainly intend to vote in person, myself. The added risk will be negligible in most cases, according to the best research we have on the subject.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38739 on: August 18, 2020, 10:04:21 am »

Vote early. Vote often!

(Yesterday Trump tweeted to SAVE THE POST OFFICE... More projection/silt-stirring, of course. I haven't popped in to check today's theme of madness yet. I'm not sure it's helpful to do so, but I'll doubtless succumb after not too long.)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38740 on: August 18, 2020, 12:04:29 pm »

I certainly intend to vote in person, myself. The added risk will be negligible in most cases, according to the best research we have on the subject.

Same, despite my vote in South Carolina being worthless.  It's a gesture and I'll make it despite the low risks.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38741 on: August 18, 2020, 12:05:46 pm »

I guess you will have no choice then and go vote in person, despite the corona risk.
Dying of, or killing your fellow voters with corona is preferable over another 4 years of insanity.

Besides, another 4 years of Trump will probably cause more corona deaths than everyone going out to vote once.

And yeah, sorry, I forgot that you guys don't have a real democracy, but more like a Chinese system where the Party Committee votes for the new Leader.  Except, instead of one party, you have two.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vote early. Vote often!

(Yesterday Trump tweeted to SAVE THE POST OFFICE... More projection/silt-stirring, of course. I haven't popped in to check today's theme of madness yet. I'm not sure it's helpful to do so, but I'll doubtless succumb after not too long.)

If only someone in 2006 could have done literally anything to stop it, when putting the USPS into debt so it could be privatized was a unanimous decision in the senate. 100% of Republicans and Democrats voted for it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:07:21 pm by Iduno »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38742 on: August 18, 2020, 12:30:59 pm »

Same, despite my vote in South Carolina being worthless.  It's a gesture and I'll make it despite the low risks.
A lot of people feel like their vote is worthless because of the Democrat nominee, but I'd just like to remind everyone that house and senate elections are also vitally important and more likely to have actual progressives.  Also all the local positions.  Also, a vote for Batman is a vote against the 2 party system, staying at home looks like apathy and the parties will write you off harder than ever.

(I'm voting for Ruth Bader Ginsburg to finally be able to retire)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38743 on: August 18, 2020, 12:42:55 pm »

Oh, I agree totally.  I always vote because apathy is worse than not voting at all, but South Carolina will vote for Trump.  There's no realistic scenario where he'd lose the state's electoral votes.  Not even an unrealistic one.

The local elections matter much more.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38744 on: August 18, 2020, 01:24:40 pm »

What is the best research?

Wisconsin had fun times in April for a state Supreme Court election, during which Milwaukee - which had quite the covid surge at the time - had their usual 180 polling places cut down to 5.

CDC suggested there were no increases as a result of voting in April, but others suggest the more people voted in-person, the more cases increased, which makes sense.

Be sensible, I guess is the advice. Social distance, wear masks, clean things often.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 2581 2582 [2583] 2584 2585 ... 3566