Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2583 2584 [2585] 2586 2587 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225238 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38760 on: August 19, 2020, 07:23:52 pm »

I don't know about being "on par". Raw deaths per million people is the best overall holistic measure of how good the total response has been.
It is absolutely not, since deaths correlate with many demographic factors!

That actually makes the USA look worse. The median age in the EU is a full 5 years older than the USA. You really should not be exceeding the deaths per capita of almost all EU nations by so much.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38761 on: August 19, 2020, 07:27:41 pm »

I can go outside any day of the week and find people not wearing masks correctly or not distancing correctly.  I've literally seen it every day.
Whereas I rarely have, if at all. Like I said, bad extrapolation — actual *studies* find compliance rates around 90%.
Could you cite that one? 90% compliance rate is certainly staggering horseshit for pretty much the entirety of North Florida at a minimum, and a quick google A) couldn't find reference to it and B) did have mention of around a 65% consistent use rate for masks when going into business, among adults. It's be interesting to see how the hell someone's getting that number.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38762 on: August 19, 2020, 07:31:03 pm »

From a long-term and especially from an evolutionary perspective, the epidemic has been good for the population of the country as a whole.
You can and most people probably should typically just not vote.

whatthefuckamireading.png
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38763 on: August 19, 2020, 07:44:47 pm »

That actually makes the USA look worse. The median age in the EU is a full 5 years older than the USA. You really should not be exceeding the deaths per capita of almost all EU nations by so much.
https://www.apmresearchlab.org/covid/deaths-by-race

Could you cite that one? 90% compliance rate is certainly staggering horseshit for pretty much the entirety of North Florida at a minimum, and a quick google A) couldn't find reference to it and B) did have mention of around a 65% consistent use rate for masks when going into business, among adults. It's be interesting to see how the hell someone's getting that number.
The most extensive single dataset I know of is from https://osf.io/uhns4/ but there are lots of others.

From a long-term and especially from an evolutionary perspective, the epidemic has been good for the population of the country as a whole.
You can and most people probably should typically just not vote.

whatthefuckamireading.png
Well, to be clear, in the second quote I am expressing a general rule not specific to this particular election. But low-information and especially low-conviction voters really are just noise.
The first quote is absolutely the case. Epidemics in general are beneficial for the survivors for a variety of reasons, of which the most important is freeing up resources that would otherwise be consumed by relatively low-value individuals.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:47:48 pm by Maximum Spin »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38764 on: August 19, 2020, 07:47:26 pm »

https://www.apmresearchlab.org/covid/deaths-by-race

So you're saying that because minorities died at a higher rate than white people that proves the response wasn't fucked up? That's not really evidence.

If you look at the data there, you can take just the deaths for the white populaton, 40 per 100000, which equals 400 per 1 million, so even narrowing that to white deaths leaves you at 14th place. Taking the population of Europe and looking at the total death toll there, it's around 275 per million as far as i can see. There are only 6 nations out of the 48 in Europe which exceed the deaths per million of the white population of the USA, since you've chosen that measure to break it down.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:56:11 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38765 on: August 19, 2020, 07:49:16 pm »

So you're saying that because minorities died at a higher rate than white people that proves the response wasn't fucked up?
No, I'm saying that people of European descent died in one place at comparable rates to people of European descent died at another place, and it's important to compare apples to apples because genetic background matters a great deal in medical statistics.

Honestly, what's much more interesting is the huge disconnect in deaths of people of African descent by latitude. The most plausible explanation I've seen is vitamin D.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38766 on: August 19, 2020, 07:52:10 pm »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38767 on: August 19, 2020, 08:01:01 pm »

Can you show me those stats then Maximum Spin? You say at another place, however there aren't many places that even have the lower bound death of 400 per million, total that America has when you exclude minorities.

Also, cherry picking specific countries that had similar death rates is not evidence. The ones with similar death rates in fact also fucked up their responses. It's kind of obvious this was the case in Italy, Spain, the UK for example.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 08:05:47 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38768 on: August 19, 2020, 08:05:47 pm »

Can you show me those stats then Maximum Spin? You say at another place, however there aren't many places that even have the lower bound death of 400 per million, total that America has when you exclude minorities.
...By "at another place" I mean Europe, with around 350 per million on average, which is basically within epsilon.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38769 on: August 19, 2020, 08:06:54 pm »

Heavily skewed by places there which, notably, did fuck up their responses. You guys had early warning and didn't act on it. Saying you didn't fuck it up because you had similar outcomes to some countries, which most of us agree did in fact fuck it up too isn't a good argument.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 08:09:15 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38770 on: August 19, 2020, 08:09:07 pm »

Heavily skewed by places there which, notably, did fuck up their responses. You guys had early warning and didn't act on it.
Let me be clear, I am asserting that the US' response was not uniquely bad.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38771 on: August 19, 2020, 08:14:37 pm »

But it's bad in a specifically American way. In Europe they underestimated the thing, got a surge of cases then mostly had to do hard lockdowns. Germany got off the lightest, but part of that was that the others were inundated earlier so Germany had a heads up. Other places saw what was happening in Italy then Spain then said no-thanks and put the brakes on the thing. That's where America had the chance to be Germany and not Spain.

The American problem is that all the agencies and levels of government are fighting and contradicting each other. That's why you're averaging 100 times the daily deaths of even Spain right now. In movie terms, Spain got attacked by zombie hordes and had to fight tooth and nail, whereas the Americans are still debating whether getting eating by a zombie is a bad thing or not, and pointing out that the zombies like the taste of their political opponents more so it's not such a big deal.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 08:22:56 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38772 on: August 19, 2020, 08:22:54 pm »

I would argue that the US death rate is also heavily skewed by places that especially fucked up their responses - the US is not just one country, but 50 and change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38773 on: August 19, 2020, 08:30:31 pm »

The most extensive single dataset I know of is from https://osf.io/uhns4/ but there are lots of others.
I just looked up and down that jargon'd mess running off data from self-reporting online surveys in a specific two week period from a while ago, and couldn't find anything resembling mention of a 90% compliance rate, especially not one relevant to a wide or representative demographic spread.

If there's lots of others demonstrating a 90% compliance rate, maybe you can point to another one? If that one says it, I both can't tell and would have pretty strong doubts regarding its validity just due to how the thing's saying it's set up.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38774 on: August 19, 2020, 08:38:51 pm »

I just looked up and down that jargon'd mess running off data from self-reporting online surveys in a specific two week period from a while ago, and couldn't find anything resembling mention of a 90% compliance rate, especially not one relevant to a wide or representative demographic spread.

If there's lots of others demonstrating a 90% compliance rate, maybe you can point to another one? If that one says it, I both can't tell and would have pretty strong doubts regarding its validity just due to how the thing's saying it's set up.

Yo it also looks like it hasn't been updated since June? Is that accurate?

Quote from: from the thing
Date created: 2020-05-05 01:50 AM | Last Updated: 2020-06-03 10:27 AM
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 2583 2584 [2585] 2586 2587 ... 3566