Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2255 2256 [2257] 2258 2259 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210711 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33840 on: December 28, 2019, 07:33:38 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is more or less exactly the electoral process used in the Chinese legislatures, incidentally, and in that particular case it means nothing due to all real power being held by an inner standing committee of oligarchs (partially hereditary). It's the most extensive legislature in the world with huge bodies of representatives very seriously campaigning for votes and deliberating on policy, while in reality even the small amounts of regionally devolved policy are settled by parallel non-government legislatures within the CPC.

Anyway, if I can find a point here, I'd just like to say that virtually every regime on the planet today holds elections (including the DPRK), and the formal process alone rarely makes an inkling of difference. Post-USSR Russia, for another example, started out with a constitution very similar to that of France, and immediately became an oligarchic kleptocracy and dictatorship without any altering of those rules. I used to think that the US could be "fixed" with a less stupid process than our system of casting most votes into the electoral equivalent of an incinerator, but really, it's the material basis of politics that matters more.

Yeah, I guess that's what it boils down to. Really, any government, no matter how well designed, is going to deteriorate if the people in it are unscrupulous and selfish bastards. Especially since that seems to be what the educational and economic system encourages people to be! Don't know how you'd go about changing that quickly.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33841 on: December 28, 2019, 08:36:53 am »

Eh, fundamentally all government is simply an agreement between people - there is nothing "magic" about a government that gives it power.  Even a dictator can only be a dictator if enough people agree to enforce the dictator's decrees.  This is a pretty amazing thing when you realize it - for both good and ill.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33842 on: December 28, 2019, 09:36:03 am »

So hey, dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but the federal minimum age to purchase tobacco's apparently been raised to 21. Still kinda' leery 'cause mitch was one of the ones heading the bill, but... otherwise seems like a good thing. General indicators (it's been tried already on a state basis, with decent results) are it's probably going to get yet fewer people killed by or addicted to tobacco, mostly by way of making it harder for high schoolers to get their hands on it. Here's hopin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33843 on: December 28, 2019, 11:42:40 am »

Well that's nice. Just all around nice. Not used to that. What does it mean.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33844 on: December 28, 2019, 11:57:55 am »

There's nothing nice about ramping up the drug war, again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33845 on: December 28, 2019, 12:01:15 pm »

Ah, there we go. Thank you. I was lost for a moment there.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33846 on: December 28, 2019, 12:02:05 pm »

There is a balance between the war on drugs and letting tobacco companies sell to youth via pervasive marketing. While I would prefer a marketing ban, raising the min. age isn't the war on drugs in if itself.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33847 on: December 28, 2019, 12:26:16 pm »

Ooh hey, marketing bans. Norway's got those, for both tobacco products and alcohol.

Funny thing about the rules on alcohol marketing though, is that it's technically illegal for a bartender to offer you booze. In a bar.

As in if a person walks into a bar, which is already an age-restricted zone, and they go over to the bar, the bartender is technically not allowed to say something like "Can I get you a beer?". Because that's advertising for alcohol... And advertising for alcohol is illegal.

Unless you specifically ask for something, they're not really supposed to mention the fact that there might be alcohol in this establishment that is dedicated to serving alcohol.

This also makes it so that breweries can't post pictures of their new beers on their social media accounts. Or mention them by name.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33848 on: December 28, 2019, 12:27:52 pm »

Heh, that is an excellent example of a poorly written law. :)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33849 on: December 28, 2019, 01:03:52 pm »

There is a balance between the war on drugs and letting tobacco companies sell to youth via pervasive marketing. While I would prefer a marketing ban, raising the min. age isn't the war on drugs in if itself.
Holy shit, yes it fucking is. The only reason this is less harmful than all the shit that goes down with alcohol in high schools and colleges, which gets people killed constantly, is that tobacco is a less harmful drug overall. This will be used to destroy the lives of young people and increase police brutality, mostly on children.

And this thread is even worse for my health than either, because all the government has to do is listen to their PR people when doing something and I find you all in here fawning over it!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33850 on: December 28, 2019, 01:12:30 pm »

Holy shit, yes it fucking is. The only reason this is less harmful than all the shit that goes down with alcohol in high schools and colleges, which gets people killed constantly, is that tobacco is a less harmful drug overall. This will be used to destroy the lives of young people and increase police brutality, mostly on children.

And this thread is even worse for my health than either, because all the government has to do is listen to their PR people when doing something and I find you all in here fawning over it!

I do not recall a rash of incidents involving police brutality in regards to cigarette use on high school campuses.

I don't recall any in relation to alcohol use, either.

I am looking forward to learning about ways that restricting the sale of of cigarettes to children is going to [drug war]. Is it because kids are smoking cigarettes instead of using harder drugs, and now we are taking away the cigarettes so now there's more harder drugs?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33851 on: December 28, 2019, 01:18:04 pm »

I think the argument is that it's yet another law the authorities can use to assert authority over people.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33852 on: December 28, 2019, 01:28:03 pm »

Yeah but like, how different is this from the regular 18-years-or-over-laws in terms of the effect this is going to have on society and, apparently, police brutality?

Is the 18 age law causing problems with children? Are the police curb stomping 17 year olds they catch with cigarettes? Do we expect them to fly-kick people who are 20 and attempting to buy cigarettes? Is this already happening and I am unaware of it? Feels like this is unlikely to have any widespread deleterious effects. Someone even said it had already been put into effect on a state level.

The downside of being a sarcastic jokey ponce all the time is people can't tell when I'm not being one.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33853 on: December 28, 2019, 01:37:49 pm »

To be honest, I thought the age limit was already 21 and younger people were simply ignoring it.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33854 on: December 28, 2019, 03:17:04 pm »

Unless they go after rich white folk who happened to do it legally.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 2255 2256 [2257] 2258 2259 ... 3566